City Nicknames

cedes27

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh is most commonly known as the "Steel City" but is also called "the City of Champions" in a nod to the last 25 years and 9 major sports trophies (11 non majors and 14 championship game appearances).

Recently it has become known as "Knowledgeburg" or "Roboburgh" out of deference to Carnegie-Mellon University (the first "wired" campus and then the first "completely wireless" campus, besides part of the first "internet" in 1969 and the first University and 2nd overall website in world history), the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (with the world's fastest non-classified computer for a few years (2001-2003 I think)), and major operations for Sony, Intel, Seagate, Rand Corporation, and IBM.

From NC:

Raleigh: "City of Oaks" on the brochures; "Raleighwood" to some locals

Charlotte: "The Queen City" to locals; "The Great State of Mecklenburg" to everybody else

Durham: "City of Medicine"; "the Bull City"

Fayetteville: "Fayette-nam" (Ft. Bragg and Pope AFB are there)

High Point: "Furniture City" or "Hot Pockets"

Carrboro: "Paris of the Piedmont" (a more than slight overstatement, frankly)

Chapel Hill: "Little Piece of Heaven" to people who went to UNC; "Chapel Hole" or "Chapel Thrill" or "Apple Chill" to others.

Winston-Salem: the "Twin Cities" (with apologies to St. Paul/Minneapolis) and recently a sales pitch to be the "City of the Arts"

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary are known collectively as the "Research Triangle"

Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point as the "Piedmont Triad"

San Antonio = River City (San Antonio River/Riverwalk)

San Antonio = Alamo City (obvious reasons)

San Antonio = S.A.

San Antonio = Saytown (I have only heard this used by locals of a youthful generation)

Austin = River City (Colorado River/Town Lake)

Austin = Capital City (State Capital)

San Marcos = Gateway to the Hill Country

Ft Worth = Cowtown (western roots of this city)

Hum, I wonder if there is a difference between a nickname and a marketing motto...

That said, Providence, RI doesn't have a nickname I'm aware of, but the marketing slogan for the past 10 years or so has been, "The Renaissance City."

Let's see, New Haven, CT is "The Elm City" (although there aren't many elms left, after an elm blight swept the city sometime in the early 20th century)...

Boston, of course, is Beantown... Here is why according to Boston-Online.com:

"Back in colonial days, a favorite Boston food was beans baked in molasses for several hours. Back then, Boston was sort of awash in molasses - it was part of the "triangular trade" in which slaves in the Caribbean grew sugar cane to be shipped to Boston to be made into rum to be sent to West Africa to buy more slaves to send to the West Indies. Even after the end of this practice, Boston continued as big rum producing city - the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 (which killed 21), ocurred when a tank holding molasses for rum production exploded."

According to the site as well, it's nearly impossible to find the recipe, as no one in the city makes it, and only a handful of restaurants serve it.

- Garris

Providence, RI

Pittsburgh is also known as "City of Bridges" because it has more bridges than any other city (aside from Venice).

Any idea how many bridges exactly in Pittsburgh? Or anybody know how many are in Venice?

Internationally, there is another city known as the city of bridges -- Constantine in North Africa is home to over 90 (some say over 95) bridges. The city was built straddling an enormous gorge, and the highest bridge is about 200 meters above the canyon floor.

oklahoma city is called okc by locals, ok city ( pronounced oak) by out of towners, and the city by people from the towns around the state. it is also known as "the horse show capital of the world" because there are more horse shows here than in any other city.

Any idea how many bridges exactly in Pittsburgh? Or anybody know how many are in Venice?

Internationally, there is another city known as the city of bridges -- Constantine in North Africa is home to over 90 (some say over 95) bridges. The city was built straddling an enormous gorge, and the highest bridge is about 200 meters above the canyon floor.

That is very interesting. I'd like to see some pictures of that place.

In answer to your question, it depends on how you count. Here is a quote I found online (at http://pghbridges.com/articles/fieldnote_howmany.htm):

Pittsburgh has 30 river bridges with an additional 29 river bridges within Allegheny County for a total of 59. Then you may start to add the many others which cross streams, ravines, roads, railroads, etc. The typically cited figure of over 2,000 in Allegheny County apparently doesn't include railroad bridges owned by the railroads, and only includes those over 8 feet in length.

Recently, there seem to be references to it also being called the "Mill City"

I believe this is more of a reference to a large neighborhood of abandoned mills downtown in Minneapolis that is being reborn as an urban residential community than to the whole city at large. At least, when I lived in Minnesota, that's what we referred to when we used the term "Mill City," as in, "I parked for the Vikings game over there in Mill City..." or, "We're going to that ice rink over in Mill City." We never used it to describe Minneapolis as a whole.

Certainly, in addition to "The Twin Cities," Minneapolis and St. Paul are also just referred to as, "The Cities" more often by Minnesotans than anything else...

Providence is also called The City State sometimes. As the state is so small that it's more of a city-state.

How did I forget that? I really love the "City State" nickname. Isn't the alternative newspaper "The Phoenix" subtitled "Happenings in the City-State?" Cool...

- Garris

Providence, RI

Certainly, in addition to "The Twin Cities," Minneapolis and St. Paul are also just referred to as, "The Cities" more often by Minnesotans than anything else...

Did you ever notice that in Minnesota, the are ouside of the cities is call "out state Minnesota" --which is weird 'cause it is actually in the state --not sure how that came about.

Archived