City Nicknames

cedes27

Did you ever notice that in Minnesota, the are ouside of the cities is call "out state Minnesota" --which is weird 'cause it is actually in the state --not sure how that came about.

Yes, I had heard that phrase a couple of times... I never understood that one either, but it is kind of cool as well... "Outland Minnesota" (with the accent over the "Ou" in outland) was a similar phrase I heard to refer to anything in Minnesota not "The Cities" and not "The North Country."

Wow, I had forgotten all this stuff. Thanks for the memories...

- Garris

Providence, RI

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very interesting. I'd like to see some pictures of that place.

In answer to your question, it depends on how you count. Here is a quote I found online (at http://pghbridges.com/articles/fieldnote_howmany.htm):

Pittsburgh has 30 river bridges with an additional 29 river bridges within Allegheny County for a total of 59. Then you may start to add the many others which cross streams, ravines, roads, railroads, etc. The typically cited figure of over 2,000 in Allegheny County apparently doesn't include railroad bridges owned by the railroads, and only includes those over 8 feet in length.

Oh cool thanks for the link.. I may have a chance to see Pittsburgh this spring.. I will keep my eyes open!

Constantine doesn't have that many! Although if you're into heights and panoramic views, it's the quality not the quantity ;) Here's a shot of the highest bridge, and a shot of the gorge with the little river snaking its way down below.. look down, look down! :D

photos source: www.constantine.free.fr

pontsidimcid01.jpg

gorges.jpg

My native city, Moscow (MoskvA), is called:

- Whitestone city

- Firstcapital (Firstmetropolitan) city

- Large village (countryside) :lol:

Saint Petersburg is the 2nd largest city in Russia, after Moscow. Among its nick-names are "Northern Venice" and "Northern Palmyra"

• 2 weeks later...

Rochester NY was originally known as the Flour City -- because of the mills along the Genesee River in the downtown area in the 19th and early 20th C. Later it became known as the Flower City -- mostly because of the lilacs that are grown in many public and private areas -- Rochester is home to the annula Lilac Festival.

New York City and its surrounding areas have many many many nicknames:

NYC

The Big Apple

The City

Zoo York (Hip Hop slang)

Long Island = LI or Strong Island (Hip Hop Slang)

The Bronx = The Boogie Down Bronx or The Boogie Down (HH Slang)

Brooklyn = Crooklyn, BK

Anything North of the Bronx = Upstate

Staten Island = SI, Staten Eye-talian

Neighborhood Nicknames:

Hell's Kitchen (real name of the area is Clinton)

TriBeCa (stands for Triangle below canal st.)

SoHo = South of Houston St.

NoHo = North of Houston St.

NoLIta = North of Little Italy

Little Italy

Chinatown

D.U.M.B.O. = Area in Brooklyn - Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass

Bed-Sty = The Bedford-Stuyvasant neighborhood in Brooklyn

Billyburg = Williamsburg, Brooklyn

LIC = Long Island City

Total list of Moscow (Russia) nicknames:

- "Golden domes" city (absolutely true) B)

- "40 x 40 church" city (legend tells it was ~ 1600 :blink: churches in Moscow)

- City of Seven hills (the story says that Moskva stands on 7 hills like Rome in Italy)

- The "Third Rome" (after 1st Rome and 2d Constantinople=Istambul)

- WhiteStone city

- Firstcapital (Firstmetropolitan) city

- "Large village" (countryside) :D

I can't believe none of my Minnesota cohorts have mentioned "Minne-apple" and also the shortened "Minnie" for Minneapolis. It's a play off NY's the "Big Apple", because of our strong concentration of theatre seats and thriving theatre community, but of course being smaller.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived