Virginia Colleges and Universities

lammius

I thought it would be fun to see some of Virginia's great institutes of higher learning. I think most of us have seen photos of UVA's gorgeous Lawn and we have some threads in here exhibiting new developments at ODU, GMU, etc. But let's see the glamour shots of what make Virginia's colleges and universities great!

==========

I'll start with some pics of my Alma Mater, James Madison University in Harrisonburg

The Quadrangle

quad.jpg

jmu4.jpg

graphic5.gif

Wilson Hall

wilson.jpg

11.jpg

2000_11.jpg

cupola.gif

The Bluestone Area

keezell.jpg

maury.jpg

logan.jpg

converse.jpg

ashby.jpg

graphic20.gif

graphic10.gif

Newman Lake Area

graphic21.gif

graphic22.gif

showker.jpg

Skyline Area

graphic6.gif

JamesMadisonUniversity.jpg

ISAT-2.jpg

urec.jpg

JMU Arboretum

arboretum.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

DDRequest.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol duke dog the bull dog.... didn't he win best mascot or something like that? I'm heading down there in a couple weeks....

I'll get out soon and take some pics of campus here.... Trouble is IMO much of the architectural isnt really that inspiring. The school has come an incredibly far way in its 50-year existence though. and its still a beautiful campus....

lol duke dog the bull dog.... didn't he win best mascot or something like that? I'm heading down there in a couple weeks....

I'll get out soon and take some pics of campus here.... Trouble is IMO much of the architectural isnt really that inspiring. The school has come an incredibly far way in its 50-year existence though. and its still a beautiful campus....

Haha. Duke Dog made it to the final round of the Capital One Mascot Bowl but I think he ended up losing to the South Carolina Gamecock (go figure). I'll be at JMU for Homecoming/Halloween at the end of October. :D

don't have a pic yet but Damon's Sports Grill just opened in Student Union I... It's the first full-service restaurant to operate under a university's dining services in the country I think... AND they'll sell alcohol just like their typical restaurant. The restaurant has a large bar as well as massive TV's all over the place. It also has a Damon's To Go, if you don't feel like sitting around for your food.... it's prettycool. I haven't eaten there yet but some of my friends said its pretty awesome.

don't have a pic yet but Damon's Sports Grill just opened in Student Union I... It's the first full-service restaurant to operate under a university's dining services in the country I think... AND they'll sell alcohol just like their typical restaurant. The restaurant has a large bar as well as massive TV's all over the place. It also has a Damon's To Go, if you don't feel like sitting around for your food.... it's prettycool. I haven't eaten there yet but some of my friends said its pretty awesome.

Are u talking about JMU or GMU, coupe?

And 16,000 is a helluva lot larger undergrad population than I would have guessed at JMU, Lammius. Harrisonburg must be bursting at the seams. Look forward to visiting the area sometime soon.

And 16,000 is a helluva lot larger undergrad population than I would have guessed at JMU, Lammius. Harrisonburg must be bursting at the seams. Look forward to visiting the area sometime soon.

Harrisonburg is a college town in denial. Eventhough the university has such a huge presence in the town, residents and students do not integrate themselves as well as in places like Charlottesville, Madison, State College, etc. So what you end up with isn't a vibrant, exciting college town, but a sleepy poultry town with a large university in it.

the student apartment complexes are pretty vibrant though! I'll be there next weekend after a concert at UVA....

Yeah the students certainly keep their areas of town active (JMU was in the top ten party schools for several years), but it's all in student ghettoes. It's fun, but there's nothing like Charlottesville's Corner District or Easton Ave at Rutgers, or Palmer Square/Nassau Street at Princeton (feel free to share other examples), where bars, restaurants, shops, etc. stay open late and cater to students and residents. JMU has noisy apartment complexes but no great street culture. For all the things I love about JMU that was one of the things I'm disappointed we didn't have there.

Who are u seeing in concert at UVA? I heard about the bomb threat for the Stones concert.

My friend got free tickets to see Jason Mraz...so it should be interesting. He's actually from just outside of Richmond. "Preppy abercrombie white boy music" :rofl: as my friend calls it but it should be a good show. I'm thinking we're gonna go out for the night at UVA on Friday and then come back to JMU for Saturday night. Foo fighters and Weezer are playing here on campus tonight at the Patriot Center. Can't go to that though.

• 2 months later...

I thought it would be fun to see some of Virginia's great institutes of higher learning. I think most of us have seen photos of UVA's gorgeous Lawn and we have some threads in here exhibiting new developments at ODU, GMU, etc. But let's see the glamour shots of what make Virginia's colleges and universities great!

==========

I'll start with some pics of my Alma Mater, James Madison University in Harrisonburg

The Quadrangle

quad.jpg

jmu4.jpg

graphic5.gif

Wilson Hall

wilson.jpg

11.jpg

2000_11.jpg

cupola.gif

The Bluestone Area

keezell.jpg

maury.jpg

logan.jpg

converse.jpg

ashby.jpg

graphic20.gif

graphic10.gif

Newman Lake Area

graphic21.gif

graphic22.gif

showker.jpg

Skyline Area

graphic6.gif

JamesMadisonUniversity.jpg

ISAT-2.jpg

urec.jpg

JMU Arboretum

arboretum.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

DDRequest.jpg

WOW!! that is disturbingly clean! :shok: I love that campus! :wub:

JMU is my favorite college to visit in Virginia. Many memories visitin my friend over there mainly for parties and catchin up on life but most notably, throwin that BIG south main street party on January of 2004 :alc:

I should add that its a very good school academically, dont want to label this as a party school only.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I couldn't even get my request for tix through, it was that jammed up. But I still got my TV. Coupe, tell me , what's the buzz like around the campus like? Must be full of spirit and Mason Pride. Man I wish that I was there right now.

Go Patriots

It's pretty crazy... there are signs everywhere that say "the slipper fits!"... the statue is all decked out in quotes and shirts and stuff, the book store has been ransacked lol, and you can really feel the spirit. You overhear people alllll over campus talking about the basketball team. It's great...I've been waiting a long time for this.

:w00t:

Archived