Virginia Colleges and Universities

lammius

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"Just about every other school in Virginia likes to bash UVA kids for being 'pretentious' and 'snobs.' In other words, they get called out for thinking they're better than everyone else. Well, if you went to the school in Virginia with the most stringent admissions requirements, best overall athletic program, most beautiful campus and coeds, most successful and famous alumni, the most storied social scene, was founded by Thomas Jefferson, and all that happened to be in what was voted the #1 city to live in America, well you'd think you were the crap too." --ESPN review of college campuses

sport illustrated campus edition -- uva voted #1 stadium party for football games and physically fittest university - 2006

lax national champions - 2006

#2 undergrad school of business in the nation - 2006

national champions in marketing competition - 2006

[#2 ACC Baseball, #20 NCAA Men's Cross Country, #20 NCAA Women's Cross Country, #22 NCAA Men's Golf, #23 NCAA Women's Golf, #1 ACC Men's Lacrosse, #4 NCAA and #1 ACC Men's Soccer (8 years running), #1 ACC and #3 NCAA Men and Women's Swimming and Diving (6 years running), #1 ACC and #2 NCAA Men's Tennis, #22 NCAA and #3 ACC Men's Wrestling, #5 ACC Women's Basketball, #5 ACC Field Hockey, #2 ACC and #7 NCAA Women's Lacrosse, #2 NCAA Varsity Rowing, #4 NCAA Club Rowing, #2 ACC and #11 NCAA Women's Soccer, #3 ACC Softball, #1 NCAA and #1 ACC Seeded Women's Tennis Doubles, #3 ACC and #8 NCAA Women's Volleyball.

T-#2 Public University, #23 International Overall University, #17 Great Value University, #4 Business Program, Highest Graduation and Retention Rate in the world, 6th Architecture School, 8th Law School, 9th Commerce School, 12th English Program, 14th Physics Program, 19th History Program, 4th - 9th best Language Programs (English, Spanish, German, Portugese, Italian), 6th Religious Studies Program, 9th Physiology Program, 13th French Program, 16th Art History Program, 17th Astronomy Program, 18th Classics Program, 19th Psychology Program, 6th Endocrinology Program.

Let's see, we're also the Fittest University on the planet and our graduates are the #2 sought after by employers, #1 being Harvard. Ten of our professors are Nobel Prize winners.] --- current as of sept. 2005

Don't forget the UVa bus system and its sadistic student drivers. And shooting the trees on the hill next to Newcomb plaza using a Pav tray as a sled on to end up in cross traffic on Emmet. And dropping 150 ft down the ravine on a bike at the top of O-hill. And the math department. Cville is scary.

"Just about every other school in Virginia likes to bash UVA kids for being 'pretentious' and 'snobs.' In other words, they get called out for thinking they're better than everyone else. Well, if you went to the school in Virginia with the most stringent admissions requirements, best overall athletic program, most beautiful campus and coeds, most successful and famous alumni, the most storied social scene, was founded by Thomas Jefferson, and all that happened to be in what was voted the #1 city to live in America, well you'd think you were the crap too." --ESPN review of college campuses

sport illustrated campus edition -- uva voted #1 stadium party for football games and physically fittest university - 2006

[#2 ACC Baseball, #20 NCAA Men's Cross Country, #20 NCAA Women's Cross Country, #22 NCAA Men's Golf, #23 NCAA Women's Golf, #1 ACC Men's Lacrosse, #4 NCAA and #1 ACC Men's Soccer (8 years running), #1 ACC and #3 NCAA Men and Women's Swimming and Diving (6 years running), #1 ACC and #2 NCAA Men's Tennis, #22 NCAA and #3 ACC Men's Wrestling, #5 ACC Women's Basketball, #5 ACC Field Hockey, #2 ACC and #7 NCAA Women's Lacrosse, #2 NCAA Varsity Rowing, #4 NCAA Club Rowing, #2 ACC and #11 NCAA Women's Soccer, #3 ACC Softball, #1 NCAA and #1 ACC Seeded Women's Tennis Doubles, #3 ACC and #8 NCAA Women's Volleyball.

T-#2 Public University, #23 International Overall University, #17 Great Value University, #4 Business Program, Highest Graduation and Retention Rate in the world, 6th Architecture School, 8th Law School, 9th Commerce School, 12th English Program, 14th Physics Program, 19th History Program, 4th - 9th best Language Programs (English, Spanish, German, Portugese, Italian), 6th Religious Studies Program, 9th Physiology Program, 13th French Program, 16th Art History Program, 17th Astronomy Program, 18th Classics Program, 19th Psychology Program, 6th Endocrinology Program.

Let's see, we're also the Fittest University on the planet and our graduates are the #2 sought after by employers, #1 being Harvard. Ten of our professors are Nobel Prize winners.] --- current as of sept. 2005

Feel better? :wacko:

Feel better? :wacko:

I don't think he's done. Probably looking up more stats. Anyway, I assume he's a student because it takes a couple of years to go from being boisterous about these rankings to just being smug. :D Oh, the youth of today.

spa7f, which I assume is your UVa email ID, are you still a student? A-school?

Debatable at best. ESPN says UVA has the most beautiful coeds, Playboy says they're at JMU. ESPN says UVA has the most beautiful campus in VA, MSN says Sweet Briar College does, and the Virginia Garden Club says JMU does. Cville is the best city to live in according to two authors who compared the cost of living to climate. As for the other variables, some are true, some are half-true.

UVA and Cville are great. I always have fun when I'm there. I don't necessarily think UVA students are pretentious, because friends of mine there don't "think they're the crap" just because they study/studied at UVA. IMO anyone anywhere who "thinks they're the crap" deserves a beotch slap.

And hoobo, you're right, that person's username looks exactly like a UVA email ID.

You know, i'm all about the school spirit and all, but....um.....yeah this isn't a pep rally. :lol:

There could be a reason UVA gets bashed for it's pretentiousness... Hmm.

I don't assume to call all students at UVA anything; most campuses have very diverse student bodies. However, taking the 7 students from my high school that are going there as examples, and the ones that went there from the class of '05..... Eh. I'll leave it at that.

Now, I could rant and rave over CNU for ages but I'll spare people that...

BUT! For what it's worth, I saw a glimpse of some pics of the new Student Union building and I must say it's absolutely beautiful architecturally. I'm going to ask the photographer permission to post them on here later :)

i am a student at the university. proud of it. yes boastful, but not overdone. i didn't 'research' these stats -- they just exist around my friends and the student population among a variety of websites. it's great to have excitement about the school you're attending...most students do - it has one of the highest graduation/retention rates in the world, which demonstrates students love the university. some are smug, some are over the top, most like me are simply proud. i can't help if those statistics/quotes exist...and our school is not perfect...ie our football team, but it's close. i love the place...everyone i know who's gone there does...nothing wrong with over the top school pride for a small 4-year portion of your life - wahoowa

i am a student at the university. proud of it. yes boastful, but not overdone. i didn't 'research' these stats -- they just exist around my friends and the student population among a variety of websites. it's great to have excitement about the school you're attending...most students do - it has one of the highest graduation/retention rates in the world, which demonstrates students love the university. some are smug, some are over the top, most like me are simply proud. i can't help if those statistics/quotes exist...and our school is not perfect...ie our football team, but it's close. i love the place...everyone i know who's gone there does...nothing wrong with over the top school pride for a small 4-year portion of your life - wahoowa

Hey dude, I'm an alum. And I love the place. Went to UCLA for grad school and visited plenty of schools like UNC, Florida, Charleston, USC-west, UCSD, UCI, Long Beach, Georgetown, JMU, ODU, and W&M all with their own charm but I wouldn't trade my 4 years at the University for anything. And I know all the rankings, ACC and NCAA titles, grad rates, and such. But there's a fine line between being proud and being boisterous. Maybe I'm cut from a different vein, but the only time I bring up those stats is when someone questions my school's academics or atheltics whether it is out of ignorance (haven't heard of UVa) or as a challenge (an FSU or Berkeley student). The key is to be confident enough in the academic, aesthetic, and athletic aspects of your institution that you don't need to toot the horn at every turn.

I can't see anyone that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder contesting the academic quality of UVA. It's tough to beat in the public school system, but as is the case with all schools, it isn't necessarily all about rankings. For certain career paths it would make more sense to pursue William and Mary, for others UVA, or if you want a different atmosphere, Mary Washington. It all depends, so it's kind of pointless to draw certain comparisons.

looking too far into all of this...i understand the toot your horn arguement and i understand going to other schools for certain reasons -- tech engineering, mary wash for physical therapy...etc...i'm an avid odu basketball fan and admire tech football...much respect for all va schools...i'm not being immodest...those words are not my own...they're taking from other websites...i was just contributing uva's side

Call me ignorant but I think university cirriculums are probably relatively similar for all universities, especially in undergraduate degrees...its the connections and opportunities that are available to you that make the difference and are the reason people pay more for some schools over others. Some schools might be weaker educationally, but personal drive and determination can make you successful in your field, no matter where you went to school. For people who just want a job out of college and dont really have a passion, a more prestigious university is the ticket to an instant job as opposed to one that is not. I think I partied too much in undergrad and I winded up waiting tables after my bachelors for a while! :cry:

Call me ignorant but I think university cirriculums are probably relatively similar for all universities, especially in undergraduate degrees...its the connections and opportunities that are available to you that make the difference and are the reason people pay more for some schools over others. Some schools might be weaker educationally, but personal drive and determination can make you successful in your field, no matter where you went to school. For people who just want a job out of college and dont really have a passion, a more prestigious university is the ticket to an instant job as opposed to one that is not. I think I partied too much in undergrad and I winded up waiting tables after my bachelors for a while! :cry:

Not necessarily. Some universities are liberal arts univerisities, some are technical. For instance, CNU is a liberal arts university. They are dedicated to business and musical or preformance based degrees such as acting.

Not necessarily. Some universities are liberal arts univerisities, some are technical. For instance, CNU is a liberal arts university. They are dedicated to business and musical or preformance based degrees such as acting.

You are right urbanfan. I was thinking more along the lines of two different business schools, law schools, etc...not trying to compare apples and oranges :thumbsup:

Archived