Downtown Golf Course

NYTransplant

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this to be on the same land that is to be developed into the Cleveland Park West or (AKA Mayberry Park) along the Reedy River?

This would be a nice addition to downtown; however, it would be even better in my view if it were part of an overall park complex along the Reedy.

This must be some of the same land, I remeber saying that for the new park, Cleveland Park West, that they would have to move the Public Works facility for it.

So it is my impression that the Kroc Center and the Golf Course will all be integrated over time with the overall park complex along the reedy.

I think I recall them saying that it was going to be a short course, being designed by the same person who designed Crosswinds Par 3. Whether this means it will be a Par 3 or just a shorter real course, I am not sure.

I do have to say that Crosswinds is by far the best Par 3 that I have ever played. I love to go out there and play 9 in the late afternoons.

I presume the one off of I-385 is the Crosswinds? The name would make sense, given the fact that the course is at the end of the runway. :unsure:

My dad was a fairly good golfer from what I've been told. He once caddied for Sam Snead, in fact (when he won his first West Virginia Amateur Open). However, I, to this very day, know very little about golf. Go figure. :whistling:

It's perhaps time to change all that. Anybody know of any good steps for a beginner to take? :ph34r:

I presume the one off of I-385 is the Crosswinds? The name would make sense, given the fact that the course is at the end of the runway. :unsure:

My dad was a fairly good golfer from what I've been told. He once caddied for Sam Snead, in fact (when he won his first West Virginia Amateur Open). However, I, to this very day, know very little about golf. Go figure. :whistling:

It's perhaps time to change all that. Anybody know of any good steps for a beginner to take? :ph34r:

Yes, it is Crosswinds.

The best step for a beginner is to take lessons. It can be expensive, but it will save you money in the long run, as well as, make the game a lot more fun.

I never took "lessons" per se, but one thing I would highly recommend is watching videos by some great golf instructors. The one series I learned most from, believe it or not, was the old Bobby Jones lessons. He had the most natural and consistent swing imaginable, and there are always different angles and slow-mo to pick up the details better. One more thing - go to the driving range very often! I recommend Millstone's well laid out chipping range as a more realistic challenge, but any range will do while you're just getting started. :thumbsup:

Golf courses in town are a waste of space, and not practical. If you only knew how bad my hook and my slice are, you'd never park near that place. They were going to put a 9 hold par 3 in downtown Spartanburg, which would have been the same principle. Leave golf courses for the countryside- that is how they should be.

How? Think of all the wonderful urban developments that could go an a 18 hold par 3 golf course in the middle of Greenville. The place would be an exlusive thing, and would be a horrible detriment to the area. People couldn't use it as a park, or walk accross it. It would be a giant hole in the urban fabric of Greenville.

I am extremely opposed to these things if you haven't noticed :)

Leave golf courses for the countryside- that is how they should be.

This must be why I'm practically surrounded by golf courses where I live.

There are strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to every venture though.

You do raise a good point. If there are people out there who slice or hook (I do know what those mean, at least) as bad as you claim to, then a downtown course could be very problematic for residents, drivers, and people who park nearby. This would, obviously, be countered by very tall poles with very large netting suspended between them and that, my friends, would be a bit of an eye sore downtown. I'd rather see some tall residential buildings.

I'm still confused by the proposal to have a golf course on what I thought was going to be land used for the new park. Is this part of the overall park proposal or is this something that would be developed in lieu of the park? I'm very curious. I'd rather have the park if it's the latter. Spartan's right, you can't very well use a golf course as park or green space. It's not very walkable. Well, it's walkable, but you either have to be hitting a little white ball or avoiding them. :silly:

Hmmm...maybe a good alternative would be a nice course of 9-18 different putting greens? I would think this would be attractive to business travelers staying downtown. It's not a full-blown course, but it would provide some much-needed putting practice, no? Isn't putting the hardest part of the game? :whistling:

Putting is the most challenging part of the game, but no, you can't have 18 or even 9 different putting greens. You might as well have a miniature golf course in that case. That would not attract business executives. You all may not realize this, but the Upstate is home to some of the finest young golf talent in the whole country. If I remember correctly (pretty sure I'm right this time), a course was proposed as an inclusion to the Kroc Center almost from day one. The developer should build it properly, making it attractive to the bigwigs and visitors, but still affordable for the average Upstate golfer. :)

You're right. The Kroc Center is supposed to include a Junior Golf Course.

See Kroc Center Thread

And, the WYFF article that NYTransplant referenced does say, "The project would work in conjunction with the Kroc center, a youth center currently being developed by the Salvation Army."

For some reason, I was thinking this was some other development not related to the Kroc Center or the new park.

Who was it that said "golf is a nice walk ruined?" Ha ha. My sentiments exactly!

I believe the quote is "Golf is a good walk spoiled" - Mark Twain

Another of my favorites is "Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose." - Winston Churchill

Btw, I love golf. There is simply no better sport to play.

How? Think of all the wonderful urban developments that could go an a 18 hold par 3 golf course in the middle of Greenville. The place would be an exlusive thing, and would be a horrible detriment to the area. People couldn't use it as a park, or walk accross it. It would be a giant hole in the urban fabric of Greenville.

I am extremely opposed to these things if you haven't noticed :)

If the land is in a flood plain, there are probably not a whole lot of wonderful urban developments that could go in its place.

I consider a downtown golf course to be in the same category as a big parking lot or cemetery in the CBD (the one I'm referring to is the one next to the Landmark building - I know it's probably historic, but I still wish it weren't there). Anyway, there's nothing wrong with parking lots, golf courses, etc. in the suburbs - I just don't think they go downtown where land is precious.

I think this is the "Junior" Golf course that was part of the Kroc Center plan from day one. There is a lot of land along the Reedy, and all of it is vacant or under-developed. Much of it is in the Flood Plain as well. This is not land that can be used for standard construction. There will still be plenty of room for the meadow, playing fields, etc. It will not be "exclusive" either as this is the Salvation Army we are talking about here.

This will be a great asset to Greenville and DT. If it weren't, the city would not be supporting it. I think the city officials and staff have proven that they know how to re-develop in an urban environment. If only other cities would follow their example.

Archived