Stratford Apartments on Park Rd

Miesian Corners

Ahh... memories - between channels 36 & 18, my afternoons were ripe for wasting perfectly good Carolina weather on :)

Don't forget Star Blazers! It made perfect sense, they retrofitted a battleship to go into outer space with an old sea dog as it's captain.

Sorry - I like off topic conversations...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I often hear people talk about the way Charlotte "used to be". It is a real shame, but Charlotte has more than once demonstrated that its priority is image over substance. I guess there is nothing like a bunch of pre-fabs business parks and condos. :(

I can't help but wonder about those in lower income housing. Where and how will they live? N. Davidson anyone???

Still off topic, sorry...do you remember Larry Sprinkle's character that was the host of Ultra Man and Space Giants? Forget what he called himself, but the character was from outerspace and introduced area children to his "native" language. The only thing I can remember is "Oban, poxies!" (translated: "Welcome kids!"). How is it I can't remember where I parked my car some days, but crap like this lingers in my mind for decades?

Sonic Man!

While we are on the subject, I read that ch 58 aired a show called "Stay tuned Boy's and Girl's". This featured Fred Kirby and Joey The Clown. Can anyone here shed some info?

I used to live near the Charlotte area. I'm sure to receive a warning strike for this, but is ch 42 still bowing to its ... ahem.... :blink: "underwriters"?

Sonic Man!

While we are on the subject, I read that ch 58 aired a show called "Stay tuned Boy's and Girl's". This featured Fred Kirby and Joey The Clown. Can anyone here shed some info?

I used to live near the Charlotte area. I'm sure to receive a warning strike for this, but is ch 42 still bowing to its ... ahem.... :blink: "underwriters"?

Fred Kirby was WBTV's long time TV character for kids back when the TV stations did unique kids programming. Sort of like Bozo the Clown was to WGN in Chicago. He had a Television for kids where local kids would be in the audience and they showed cartoons. He could also be seen at fairs and spent the summer fighting Indians at Tweetsie Railroad back when it was the only theme park in the area. These shows were many times live. In those days, Fred Kirby was probably better known than the Mayor of the time and would draw bigger crowds at events.

The Stratford may be old and not nice enough for some of you but it houses many very hardworking diverse people that are vital to the services many of us enjoy. I thinks it sad that they will be pushed out so Charlotte can continue to inexorably march towards the creation of a city that will resemble Ballanytne on steroids.

• 5 months later...

Warming up this old thread...

Here we are 2Q of 2006, and there are still plenty of cars in the parking lots from tenants at Stratford Apartments. I wonder if the Citadin investors have their hands full there, and put this redevelopment off.

• 4 months later...

Maybe we can get this thread retitled to Park Rd projects.

There is a news blurb on the CBJ today that says the Summit on Park aparments at Park and Marsh will be torn down and be redeveloped wiith a 97 unit condo project, to be developed by Crescent Resources.

4 stories over parking with NO ground floor retail :(

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

I know people in Sedgefield that loathed that place because it was too low end for their tastes and neighborhood property values. I guess they are happy now. I also would have preferred some retail. I guess this project will compliment the ersatz castle condo building going up just a block away.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Stratford Apartments, their owner (and developer of the Citadin) has completed the purchase of the adjacent community to the Stratford. I guess that confirms the rumor that originated this thread.

Edit. Ineteresing, probably meaningless factoid. The official name of the purchaser of the site is Cielo Charlotte. Cielo is the name of a new high-rise being built in NYC that was designed by Perkins Eastman, the same architecture firm that designed the Citadin. http://www.cielocondos.com/home12.html And to think that my wife tells me I'm autistic.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Park Place apts. on Park rd.? Does it have anything to do with the Stratford Apts project talked about in this thread. There is a fence around the entire property with demo signs on it. Maybe this is finally going to move forward?

Does anyone know what is going on with the Park Place apts. on Park rd.? Does it have anything to do with the Stratford Apts project talked about in this thread. There is a fence around the entire property with demo signs on it. Maybe this is finally going to move forward?

• 4 weeks later...
Today the developers constructed a small billboard advertising the "Cielo" condos in the former Parke Place apartments site. There is an artist rendering on it and at first glance it reminded me of the Steel Gardens in NoDa. Demolition has already begun.

• 2 weeks later...

I can honestly say that I hate those apartments. I lived there for 3 years. While there may be a handful of "decent hard working people" that live there, that place is nothing but thugs, crack heads and trash. I will applaud the day that place gets demolished.

Archived