Migration Patterns Post- Trina/Rita

UTCdude23

While the Southern USA, including the Gulf Coast region, has seen steady growth over the past couple of decades, it seems to me that areas prone to large hurricanes might have an exodus of residents. Do you think this is the case? Or will new residents come in to take the place of the ones who leave? While it is possible that there my be a large number of people leaving, it certainly wasn't the case for Hurricane Andrew back in '92, Florida continued to boom. Will this happen to the Houston Area of TX? Where would these residents go to, larger areas inland, like Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville or Charlotte? It'd be interesting to see, as I read in an article that we've entered a period of stronger and more frequent hurricanes that should last about another 10 years. This might have an impact on migration trends in the US. Any thoughts and opinons!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it seems to me that with a predicable hurricane season, people and businesses would be less likely to decide to move there, especially with the rise in damage costs over the previous 10 years. The Mid-Atlantic seems to be doing fine in terms of less severe natural disaster threats, in a messed up fantasy, I could see people return to the rust-belt, lol.

I don't see inland cities getting a boost from hurricanes. Most people who live on the coasts do so because they are attracted by coastal and waterfront living and all the amenities that come with it. They also know the potential risk of hurricanes. But like it was stated earlier, while moving inland limits or eliminates the risks of hurricanes, there's still the risk of some natural disaster still waiting in the wings.

I think in the long run these hurricanes won't affect population growth in the coastal South. People have been moving to the coast for decades - storms and floods have had little or no impact thus far. Earthquakes, mudslides and forest fires haven't stopped people from moving to California.

Hurricanes have had on affect on beachfront building construction, though. Several storms have wiped out older single family homes on the beach. These homes have been replaced with multistory condos and changed the character of these coastal communities. My guess is that this will happen along the Mississippi coast after Katrina.

Archived