Charlotte circa Spring 2008

dubone

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was supposed to be dramatic and humorous...except for the gun shop and LRT (those i think will come true)

I think most of MM's predictions will come true (humor noted :) ). I'm sure LRT will do better than you think, though, mostly because I think there have been 100-200 people on Urban Planet that plan to ride it on the first day :). But at this point there isn't anything to debate on that, as we'll just see what happens.

• 9 months later...

I have now corrected that above, sorry. I had simply left that sentence in by mistake from the wording I copied from the original post, which was from 9/2005.

Still Spring 2008, although a list of how things will be in 2010 would also be interesting.

Already work on it. Mmmm, pork chops.

I know all about the transportation budget shortfall, but it is just ridiculous that the last leg of I-485 won't be under construction until at least 2013. The city and local leaders should raise money to do it themselves well before then.

You don't have to wait till Spring 2008 to get a glimpse of the future Queen City. Beginning next month, the main library will feature an exhibit on the past, present, and future skylines of the city. Here's a link to the article on the Center City website. Hopefully the model builders didn't include the outdated version of the Ritz that accompanies the story.

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/nav.cfm...p;action=detail

I certainly would not want to spend local tax money on I-485 given that we are already being taxed for it by the state. I would not be opposed to making the remaining section of I-485 between 85N and 77N a toll road if that means they start building it a lot sooner. I am surprised they are not pursuing this idea as it's one of the few potential toll roads in the area that ought to do really well. It should also free up NCDOT funding for other uses in our area.

I certainly would not want to spend local tax money on I-485 given that we are already being taxed for it by the state. I would not be opposed to making the remaining section of I-485 between 85N and 77N a toll road if that means they start building it a lot sooner. I am surprised they are not pursuing this idea as it's one of the few potential toll roads in the area that ought to do really well. It should also free up NCDOT funding for other uses in our area.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't help but bump this back up. (From Fall of '05) Overall, I'd say great job...especially with the comments about the Park. And considering the climate in Center City, I wouldn't trade any of these "stalled" projects for the even more fantastic ones we have underway now.

Charlotte circa Spring 2008

There is so much happening now in Charlotte, but most of it comes online 2-3 years from now. What will this city be like two and a half years from now?

Transportation:

- The south light rail line will have been in operation for more than a year

- The north line will be halfway through construction

- The trade street streetcar will be beginning construction

- Gateway Station will be halfway through construction

- 485 will be open except for the short section from from 77 north of Northlake to 85 near concord mills.

- The airport's fourth runway will be open

- the new Intermodal yards will likely be open by 485 and the airport

- Connector will be open between 85 and the airport (little rock road)

- Absolutely nothing new will have been done with 485 or 77 or independence blvd in south charlotte

Parks and Streetscape:

- Little Sugar Creek Greenway will be halfway through construction between Dilworth and Optimist Park

- 3rd Ward park will be completed

- Elizabeth Avenue streetscape will have been completed and tracks built for the upcoming streetcar

Development:

- Wachovia's new tower and arts complex will be nearing completion

- Trademark and Avenue will have been complete for nearly a year

- the Vue will be nearing completion

- Courtside, Court6, MStreet, 8th Street Townes, and Renwick will all be complete in First Ward

- TwoTenTrade/Epicentre tower will be nearing completion

- The Citidan towers will be under construction

- CMC's Children's Hospital will have been open for more than a year

- Construction will likely be going on for other Furman projects (7th/McDowell and 3rd Ward Parkside)

- Construction will likely be going on for other Spectrum projects (300 S Tryon? and Trade/Graham)

- Construction will possibly be going on for Novare's second project.

- The Park will be beginning construction "next month"

- Absolutely nothing new will have been done with Levine's First Ward Urban Village

Retail:

- Midtown Target and Home Depot Expo will have been in operation for half a year

- Best Buy and the rest of Midtown will be a few months from completion

- Whole foods in Elizabeth will be completed and possibly the Eastern Federal Movie Theatre

- Epicentre's retail will likely be complete

- Lowes will be just starting operations in South End

- the Ritz-Carlton will have just opened

Population:

- [someone else do this one, i don't pay enough attention to it]

What would you guys add?

Pretty much, I was wrong on everything except select few: :). But I was going by the stated schedules, so I guess we see how we should interpret those schedules.

Transportation:

- The south light rail line will have been in operation for more than a year

Sort of, the opening was delayed a bit since 2005, but it has been in operation for almost half a year now.

- The north line will be halfway through construction

Nope, this was delayed by the major changes between the 2025 and the 2030 plans.

- The trade street streetcar will be beginning construction

Nope, this was delayed by the major changes between the 2025 and the 2030 plans.

- Gateway Station will be halfway through construction

Nope, this was delayed by delays in the North line and lack of momentum.

- 485 will be open except for the short section from from 77 north of Northlake to 85 near concord mills.

Nope, this was delayed to later this year by a major f'kup by NCDOT, for which they are being sued.

- The airport's fourth runway will be open

Nope, this is well on its way, but didn't start when they had originally anticipated.

- the new Intermodal yards will likely be open by 485 and the airport

Nope, this was delayed by the delays in the runway projects.

- Connector will be open between 85 and the airport (little rock road)

Nope, this has little momentum, and is delayed by general lack of funds for the Charlotte area in the NCDOT TIP

- Absolutely nothing new will have been done with 485 or 77 or independence blvd in south charlotte

Yeah! My first correct prediction of the list.

Parks and Streetscape:

- Little Sugar Creek Greenway will be halfway through construction between Dilworth and Optimist Park

Sort of, this is seeing major progress with the Midtown project and is probably about half way through.

- 3rd Ward park will be completed

Nope, this had a strategic shift since then, and then a subsequent lawsuit.

- Elizabeth Avenue streetscape will have been completed and tracks built for the upcoming streetcar

Nope, this was delayed by the delays in Grubb's plans and the delay in the streetcar project, it is under construction now, though.

Development:

- Wachovia's new tower and arts complex will be nearing completion

Sort of, this project had some delays in getting started, but is very far along in construction.

- Trademark and Avenue will have been complete for nearly a year

Sort of, not quite a year, but they are done. This seemed far away at the time and now we have posters living these these buildings.

- the Vue will be nearing completion

Nope, this was delayed by slowing sales and having to resell condos that had contract time-outs

- Courtside, Court6, MStreet, 8th Street Townes, and Renwick will all be complete in First Ward

Yes to all by Renwick, which is now an apartment community called Enclave that is not quite open yet.

- TwoTenTrade/Epicentre tower will be nearing completion

Well, Epicenter is the one near nearing completion, but the tower has barely begun to due to the timed out contract issue that Vue had and general complexity of the whole complex.

- The Citidan towers will be under construction

Nope, they aren't even proposed anymore and the redesigned midrise complex is not even for sale yet.

- CMC's Children's Hospital will have been open for more than a year

Sort of, it is open, but only for about 6 months.

- Construction will likely be going on for other Furman projects (7th/McDowell and 3rd Ward Parkside)

Yes, to the 7th/McDowell which is now called Quarterside, but the rumor 3rd Ward project seems to be a no show.

- Construction will likely be going on for other Spectrum projects (300 S Tryon? and Trade/Graham)

Sort of, it seems like 300 S Tryon might be under construction soon, but the Trade and Graham vanished.

- Construction will possibly be going on for Novare's second project.

Boy was that an understatement. It will top of this spring.

- The Park will be beginning construction "next month"

Yes, they are both in the 'next month' category and in the 'nearly completed' category.

- Absolutely nothing new will have been done with Levine's First Ward Urban Village

Yes, he is now planning a 20-something unit project as the next phase, so my 2010 prediction will not really be much change here.

Retail:

- Midtown Target and Home Depot Expo will have been in operation for half a year

Yes, and they have been very successful

- Best Buy and the rest of Midtown will be a few months from completion

Yes, the Best Buy is almost open, and the rest of the Met Midtown project will be done this year.

- Whole foods in Elizabeth will be completed and possibly the Eastern Federal Movie Theatre

Nope, Whole Foods walked away and Eastern Federal was bought out by Regal, who canceled the plans.

- Epicentre's retail will likely be complete

Sort of, a few components are open, but the rest will opened up bit by bit over the coming 6 months.

- Lowes will be just starting operations in South End

Sort of, they aren't that far away from opening, but not quite there yet.

- the Ritz-Carlton will have just opened

Nope, this was delayed by the inclusion of the full office tower next door.

Or really any project unless it has started construction, and in a few cases, not even them. For the most part, a lot of these were dates based on stated goals. Just like the Light Rail was long slated for early 2007, but got pushed to the end of 2007 when the bids came in as a way of lowering the costs without reducing quality as much as they otherwise would have needed to.

Archived