Hollister Building

hood

...though there could be a few more upscale businesses that take the tiny Washington frontage of the building.

The cigar shop that was already there would be a good fit to go back in that spot probably.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it would have. I wonder if they are just temporarily moving across the street in anticipation of the pending renovation? What the article didn't seem to give was a timeline.

The Cigar shop has permanently relocated.

I wasn't saying "nightlife" just food options after 5 p.m.

Yeah, it would have. I wonder if they are just temporarily moving across the street in anticipation of the pending renovation? What the article didn't seem to give was a timeline.

The article really doesn't say much of anything useful, I'm wondering when they were supposed to give that overview of the project, I was thinking it would have been on the news or something but I guess not.

I wasn't saying "nightlife" just food options after 5 p.m.

Taco Bell is open til 2 or 3 in the morning :D . I think that there are currently enough food options after 5 downtown, I know of at least Troppo and Majority, there is also that resturaunt thats slated to open where the Parthenon was and I'm sure theres a few more. As it has been said many times, more places will come as more people move downtown, and there still aren't very many people living down there. There hasn't yet even been any significant new residential construction yet. One place that I would really like to see stay open later is Kewpee's, they may end up being the only affordable place downtown.

A handful of restaurants opened after five in the downtown the size of Lansing's is not "enough," though it is being added to.

BTW, the Boji's did hold a small press conference on Allegan, yesterday, and it was on the 11 P.m. news, last night on WILX. They said that it will take 2 years, and will start this year. That's if the city moves quick enough on the tax abatements, and such.

Looks like Ron was talking to WLNS, today. Parts of the interview don't make since, and could be typos:

"A historic downtown Lansing building will be redeveloped soon. The Hollister building will become a mixed-use property. Developers say apartments and lofts will go on top with office space in the middle, and on the lower level, retail space.

Ron Boji, developer, The Boji Group: "Some sub shops, eateries, jewelry stores, things of that nature. We've got some great retail coming, and then during all that, we're going to do a facade restoration. The whole facade will be brought back to its natural historical look of back in the '60s."

The developer says he's signing agreements with national retail chains right now, and one of them involves coffee."

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=5033674

Looks like Ron was talking to WLNS, today. Parts of the interview don't make since, and could be typos:

"A historic downtown Lansing building will be redeveloped soon. The Hollister building will become a mixed-use property. Developers say apartments and lofts will go on top with office space in the middle, and on the lower level, retail space.

Ron Boji, developer, The Boji Group: "Some sub shops, eateries, jewelry stores, things of that nature. We've got some great retail coming, and then during all that, we're going to do a facade restoration. The whole facade will be brought back to its natural historical look of back in the '60s."

The developer says he's signing agreements with national retail chains right now, and one of them involves coffee."

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=5033674

What doesn't make sense to you?

What doesn't make sense to you?

"The whole facade will be brought back to its natural historical look of back in the '60s." :blink:

I'm guessing that the building was modernized in the 60's so he means that they will restore the pre-1960's look. Or it could simply be he mispoke or WLNS miss quoted him.

"The whole facade will be brought back to its natural historical look of back in the '60s." :blink:

I'm guessing that the building was modernized in the 60's so he means that they will restore the pre-1960's look. Or it could simply be he mispoke or WLNS miss quoted him.

The evolution of the building was pretty modest from 1950 to 19whenever when they made the facade the way it is now... I'm guessing thats what he means. I really like the 1950 style when it had the big medalions on the 2nd floor... which is what it looks like they'd be returning it to from the looks of the rendering they released.

• 6 months later...

More info, nothing much new besides the fact that they facade restoration is to start next spring. The interior is already under renovation:

Boji plans new look for downtown Lansing's Hollister Building

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS03/612190344

Under Restoration

Allegan Street Entrnace

327505590_0489a4d716_o.jpg

Looking west

327505591_06b0070210_o.jpg

Looking west from the Square

327505594_542caa148e_o.jpg

My fiance's mom works for the State of Michigan. Their offices at the state secondary complex in Diamondale are under renovation so they are in temp offices in the Hollister Building. She mentioned that the building feels like it is falling apart. I guess the floors are not even close to level and people are routinely falling (ironic that she works in the workers comp office!) and the heating units rarely work right. Sounds like the building is due for some tlc.

It's only partially occupied. Before the state moved in it was largely vacant, and the state only filled a floor or two if I can remember correctly. In fact, I think the state is the only major tenant besides the ground floor. Work is on going, and you can see it at night. I believe it's either the second or third floor that is fully stripped, and you can see workers in there working away at night.

There are plenty of buildings I know of that have been renovated in phases (while occupied). Just look at the Cooley Center which who's floors were constructed over the years just recently was the full building completed.

• 1 year later...

Archived