Saint Tammany Parish's New Growth

NCB

Just to give an update on what is going on in my area...

It seems to be almost certain, that St. Tammany Parish's population will explode over the next few years and months, no matter what happens with New Orleans.

stp2qt.png

St. Tammany has been growing quickly over the last 20 years, it had a populatin of 191,000 in 2000, by 2002 that number rose to around 210,000.

But now after Katrina, parish officials are expecting the population to grow by at least 150,000 people.

Some officials are expecting the population of the Covinton(population 8,800)/Mandeville(population 12,000) area could increase by 100,000-150,000 people.

Officials are saying there are now 100,000 more people in covinton/mandeville than before Katrina, traffic is already horrible here, just as bad as it is in Baton Rouge, It will be absolutely horrible if another 200,000 people move into the parish.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCB, is this because of areas like Lakeview that are now uninhabitable? Or is there some other draw to the N.O. metro area that I'm overlooking? I'm guessing that the officials that see population increasing by 100-150,000 people don't see parts of New Orleans recovering and becoming inhabited again. I disagree. I don't see St. Tammany's growth as permanent. I could be wrong.

Hopefully St. Tammany will be able to handle this influx. I know locals like you aren't looking forward to the traffic. :)

NCB, is this because of areas like Lakeview that are now uninhabitable? Or is there some other draw to the N.O. metro area that I'm overlooking? I'm guessing that the officials that see population increasing by 100-150,000 people don't see parts of New Orleans recovering and becoming inhabited again. I disagree. I don't see St. Tammany's growth as permanent. I could be wrong.

Hopefully St. Tammany will be able to handle this influx. I know locals like you aren't looking forward to the traffic. :)

The theory that Saint Tammany's population will increase by over 200,000 is tied to the theory that Baton Rouge will continue to grow and maybe have a city population of over 600,000. It isnt very likely, but it is possible, and Saint Tammany needs to prepare.

I dont know if 200,000 people will move into St. Tammany, but 100,000 moving in is very likely, and Saint Tammany needs to be ready....

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I also was curious of what was bringing about this population increase. If it was related to Katrina or just an area that has a lot of potential already.

Yes, it mostly has to do with Katrina, but Saint Tammany Parish has been growing rapidly for many many years now. Most of west Saint Tammany is at or above sea level, there is still alot of undeveloped land, and business has been growing here greatly over the last few years.

There are thousands and thousands of people here in Covington from Saint Bernard Parish, and it seems that most of them are going to stay in Covington. Officials are now saying that Covington's population alone could grow by over 85,000. I dont know if this will happen, but there is certainly an extremely large number of people who want to stay and live here. I just hope that more housing and more roads are built quickly, but I think that all of this will be handled well.

• 2 weeks later...

^I havent heard of any safeguards being put in place.

The thing about Saint Tammany is that there is still plenty of undeveloped land, alot of north ST is wooded, allowing for the population to be spread out over larger areas. But just from driving around Covington, I see all kinds of new developments being built further and further away from the central area of town. It looks like in a couple of years, the Covington/Mandeville will have a much greater population, and the area will be very sprawled.

" see all kinds of new developments being built further and further away from the central area of town."

That's exactly the kind of development which scares me. We don't want a megalopolis of WalMarts, HomeDepots and tract housing, I hope. Build the centers of the towns up again so that they may enjoy a renaissance and will be better prepared for the coming oil crises. If we don't plan well for the future we will be doomed to abandon the sprawl we build so mindlessly.

Archived