New Life Center (Phase 2)

rescue-mission-south.jpg

Liberty Place

LibertyPlace.jpg

Von Leake Condos (705 N. Main)

untitled-2.jpg

The District

1857358613_6cab94107a_b.jpg

836 Oak (Tobacco Square / J.G. Flynt Building)

John Kuhn Studio Renovation

16 upsacle condos, retail/restaurant space and 200 jobs are coming to the Arts District. Does anybody know the status of the 6-story 4th street project?

small rendering from wxii.com

5032925_80X60.jpg

there's also a video on the project at the wxii 12 video section. www.wxii.com

link:

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645509099

the article says its a renovation project, but its really new construction. A 1 story city-owned building is being demolished for this project.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great that they are developing "Trader's Row." Hopefully, as property along Trade Street gets scarce, some of the development will spill over to Liberty Street and fill in the empty lots between 5th and 8th Sts. What is the status of the Arts Council Building on 4th Street that Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects will be vacating? I would hate to think that it will be empty and that parts of the downtown office population is just shifting from one location to another rather than attracting new businesses/tenants.

Does anyone know what some of Chapman's other developments downtown are? Also, how is the Nissen Building doing - have they leased out most of the apartments?

Its probably good, in the long run, that some of these companies relocate from 4th St. to somewhere in the CBD. This will only strengthen "Restauraunt Row"...freeing up space for a new bar/restaurant/club or even retail. Im thinking that the reason why the Arts Council is moving is to save money. They own the sawtooth center.

On the other hand, I dont know what will happen with that building on 4th street. the design is kind of odd and i really dont see it being suitable for a restaurant. The arts council offices were below ground, in the center of the building is an atrium with offices on the second floor and there's a coffee shop on the front right corner. I really cant think of a good use for that building.

Im not in W-S right now so im behind on a lot of the developments that are occuring downtown.

Its probably good, in the long run, that some of these companies relocate from 4th St. to somewhere in the CBD. This will only strengthen "Restauraunt Row"...freeing up space for a new bar/restaurant/club or even retail. Im thinking that the reason why the Arts Council is moving is to save money. They own the sawtooth center.

On the other hand, I dont know what will happen with that building on 4th street. the design is kind of odd and i really dont see it being suitable for a restaurant. The arts council offices were below ground, in the center of the building is an atrium with offices on the second floor and there's a coffee shop on the front right corner. I really cant think of a good use for that building.

Im not in W-S right now so im behind on a lot of the developments that are occuring downtown.

My concern about the relocation from 4th St to another part of the CBD is that there won't be another company that will take over the space they vacated. I would argue that you need to maintain the office population or increase the number of office workers on 4th Street to provide a customer base for "Restaurant Row." I actually think the Arts Council Building is one of the best buildings on 4th.

Another thing I would like to see on 4th St is a new mixed-use building - possibly mid-highrise residential w/ retail on the first level - on the GMAC pkg lot between Spruce and Poplar. The last thing 4th Street needs is a surface parking lot - it tends to breakdown the urban fabric too much.

more arts district news...

An arts community center will open soon on Liberty Street due to the area's growth. I think this is the first major project for that corridor since DADA announced that the arts district would expand to Liberty. Hope fully this is just the begining. I know the Sawtooth Center will move to that Hillcrest building from Marshall St. in a couple years.

link

http://www.journalnow.com/scripts/isapi_sr...tacodalogin=yes

more arts district news...

An arts community center will open soon on Liberty Street due to the area's growth. I think this is the first major project for that corridor since DADA announced that the arts district would expand to Liberty. Hope fully this is just the begining. I know the Sawtooth Center will move to that Hillcrest building from Marshall St. in a couple years.

link

http://www.journalnow.com/scripts/isapi_sr...tacodalogin=yes

This is great news. Hopefully, it will lead to some private investment along Liberty and the city will get some infill projects.

• 6 months later...

That new Trader's Row building will be off the chain. It makes the area look more cosmopolitan for sure. I would like to see more buildings like that in that area.

I was in downtown Winston on Saturday afternoon and was really impressed. Everyone is always talking about downtown Greensboro, but I see a lot of potential in downtown Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem dose have a more cosmopolitian feel and I believe if they can just get some people down there it will take off. Winston need to get some clubs downtown like Greensboro has. There doing great on Restaurants and I love the arts district.

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing I am worried about Trader's Row is how out of balance the structure relative to other buildings on the street. There is a single story structure to its north that seems overwhelmed by Trader's but as they are putting windows for the condo units facing north, you can not put another building there to balance it out as on the south side of Trader's. It may be better to move the businesses out of that small building elsewhere to infill other buildings and clear the space for some sort of landscaping as a pocket park or a memorial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

more development for Trade...

the Winston-Salem Recuse Mission broke ground for a $4mil facility for men in transition at 718 N. Trade St called new life Center. the multi-use building will have apartments, a computer lab, a fitness center and a library. you can see a rendering of the building here.

at 5-storys, this will be a decent addition to the Arts District.

article

• 3 weeks later...

Pisco Holdings of Las Vegas has purchased the former Advance Auto building at 575 N. Liberty St. Plans call for the demolition of the current building and erecting a 4 - 5 story, 36-unit condo building with underground parking. Spaces will range from 1,075 square feet to 1,430 square feet with estimated prices of $223,000 to $295,000. The top-floor units will have views of the downtown area. Pisco is in the process of opening a sales center at the site to meet those who might be interesting in buying units. An open house is planned for Oct. 27.

rendering

This sounds and looks cool, though one thing has me curious - for a building of this smallish size and moderate pricing, isn't it quite a bit of added expense to construct underground parking? I can not mentally picture the specific site, is there already enough a slope there to justify the below ground parking?

EDIT - was reading through the linked post, I had the same thought as a person there - the rendering does not show street level retail, and while that is not hugely important for this particular project, it would definitely give it a boost IMO - I was imagining myself walking along the sidewalk shown in the rendering and it felt a little foreboding as there is no interfacing with it other than looking up at people's windows.

I realize downtown is hilly, to more clearly state what I meant: is there enough of a slope to put in a below ground parking structure that is essentially ground level grade on one other side? And also is this garage to be more than one level? Seemed quite an expense for a building that is not terribly large. Was just a question, it has been a while since I've been involved in construction.

im not sure. it seems to be enough of a slope IMO. one level of parking should be adequate for a 36 unit building? the site where advance auto sits is pretty large so i dont think they will go any further below ground. the first floor looks like it will disguise parking...sort of like governor's court in greensboro. 4 floors of residential, one floor for parking.

• 1 month later...

from last week's Smitty's Notes:

"...The word on the street is that East Coast Capital, the developers of the Southeast Gateway and a number of other downtown locations, is working on a concept that will be a complete departure from the style of architecture you normally see in Winston-Salem. It is an edgy and contemporary style that will anchor the north end of Trade Street in the Downtown Arts District.

Chad Davis, the president of ECC, said that there is a large group of customers who would like to have an alternative style of architecture in which to live, work and play. ECC said that this is the perfect location, given its diversity and proximity to the arts. Stay tuned for more details."

Archived