Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

It looks like the Pinnacle Group is going to extend Pinnacle Hills Parkway down to Arkansas 264 in Lowell. The project will cost $ 6.6 million, and will be entirely payed for by the Pinnacle Group, which should help out the city. The city council approved the extending the road on the city's master street plan last night. The design will move the new road 700 feet east of Champions Drive. It will begin at Pauline Whitaker Parkway, the section of Perry Road west of Interstate 540. It will start with a roundabout and continue south about a half-mile, where the road will intersect with Pleasant Grove Road. This project will more than likely take a few years to complete. The extended road will also be 5 lanes.

It looks like the Pinnacle Group is going to extend Pinnacle Hills Parkway down to Arkansas 264 in Lowell. The project will cost $ 6.6 million, and will be entirely payed for by the Pinnacle Group, which should help out the city. The city council approved the extending the road on the city's master street plan last night. The design will move the new road 700 feet east of Champions Drive. It will begin at Pauline Whitaker Parkway, the section of Perry Road west of Interstate 540. It will start with a roundabout and continue south about a half-mile, where the road will intersect with Pleasant Grove Road. This project will more than likely take a few years to complete. The extended road will also be 5 lanes.

Good idea. NWA needs more arterial roads to lighten up the dependence on I-540.

Good idea. NWA needs more arterial roads to lighten up the dependence on I-540.

What's even better is that it's going to make a north south route from Bentonville all the way to Lowell. The other north-south routes being planned for Rogers are the expansion of Dixeland Rd to Pleasant Grove Road, 52nd Street, 45th Street, and 40th Street.

What's even better is that it's going to make a north south route from Bentonville all the way to Lowell. The other north-south routes being planned for Rogers are the expansion of Dixeland Rd to Pleasant Grove Road, 52nd Street, 45th Street, and 40th Street.

Dixieland is easily the nicest main road in Rogers so far. At least until construction finishes on some of those others.

How is Pinnacle justifying paying for this? I think it's a needed project, but how do they expect to recoup any of the costs of building a road?

How is Pinnacle justifying paying for this? I think it's a needed project, but how do they expect to recoup any of the costs of building a road?

Well this road does run right by the Shopps, so my guess is that they are planning on expanding the Shopps south with large office/mixed use towers, so they need infastructure to be up to date.

It slows it down by about 10-15 miles per hour. They also haven't grooved the interstate all the way. You can easily loose traction in the rain.

Yeah I nearly lost traction when I drove off the road and onto the shoulder. Hey I was following the lines in the road! Just your typical amateurish NWA road construction.

Oh and BTW... they finally finished resurfacing Hwy 71 through Bella Vista and I gotta say that other than it being a nice blacktop it's no smoother than it was before. Why is it so hard for NWA to do real road improvements? In Texas when they resurface a road you can tell because you can't feel or hear the road at all. It's like driving on air! What is Texas doing that NWA can't figure out?!?

Yeah I nearly lost traction when I drove off the road and onto the shoulder. Hey I was following the lines in the road! Just your typical amateurish NWA road construction.

Now come on Mike. I know we might not be the best example for road construction in the US but saying it's amateurish seems a bit much.

Oh and BTW... they finally finished resurfacing Hwy 71 through Bella Vista and I gotta say that other than it being a nice blacktop it's no smoother than it was before. Why is it so hard for NWA to do real road improvements? In Texas when they resurface a road you can tell because you can't feel or hear the road at all. It's like driving on air! What is Texas doing that NWA can't figure out?!?

MONEY$$$$$$$$$$

I've noticed in that construction zone, posted at 55 mph mind you, people still drive about 65-85 mph. This is typical for many construction zones I've driven through in big cities-- people just don't slow down that much from what I've seen.

If it's raining, I recomend slowing down more than the posted. Not to say you weren't speeding-- of course, I never speed through work zones :D

Next time when I'm in the neighborhood in BV, I'll check it out. It was very bad before (lot's of rutting and bleeding of the pavement). I'm sure it's smoother than before.

I wouldn't exagerate that much about Texas. They, like Arkansas and many other states for example, still overlay asphalt over old concrete roads, which really doesn't do jack to improve the ride because of the old slabs underneath (so you still feel the rythmic bumps). It just keeps the road in decent structural shape.

Now come on Mike. I know we might not be the best example for road construction in the US but saying it's amateurish seems a bit much.

All I can say is when it takes weeks to resurface a road and when it's finally done you can still feel bumps and hear road noise it's amateurish.

I've noticed in that construction zone, posted at 55 mph mind you, people still drive about 65-85 mph. This is typical for many construction zones I've driven through in big cities-- people just don't slow down that much from what I've seen.

If it's raining, I recomend slowing down more than the posted. Not to say you weren't speeding-- of course, I never speed through work zones :D

Next time when I'm in the neighborhood in BV, I'll check it out. It was very bad before (lot's of rutting and bleeding of the pavement). I'm sure it's smoother than before.

I wouldn't exagerate that much about Texas. They, like Arkansas and many other states for example, still overlay asphalt over old concrete roads, which really doesn't do jack to improve the ride because of the old slabs underneath (so you still feel the rythmic bumps). It just keeps the road in decent structural shape.

It wasn't raining and I wasn't speeding. It's not so much a matter of traction, but there's no stripe marking the edge of the asphalt so it makes it difficult to keep from running off the road in some places, especially where the road swerves. Granted that it was really an uneven surface like I've seen in some major road construction, but they do tend to cut corners on road construction up here.

And I wasn't exaggerating about Texas roads. When they're resurfaced you can tell because all the road noise and bumps magically disappear as soon as you hit the newly resurfaced road. It must be because in Texas they use 3 times as much asphalt on their resurfaced roads as they do here. It may not last long, which is why they're always resurfacing roads in Texas, but it definitely makes for a smooth ride.

I don't mean anything bad toward Arkansas, it's just an observance from one who's driven on many roads.

Van Asche Drive in Fayetteville will be extended to connect w/ Gregg. The groundbreaking was held last week. For those you are unfamiliar w/ the street, it runs from TGIFridays/Fuddruckers area, back behind Target then westward towards Gregg. There is also talk of redoing the rest of the street westward to I-540 and Hwy 112. This will provide better connectivity from the interstate and new Sams to the Mall area of North Fayetteville. There is alot of flat undeveloped land laying from Gregg to the interstate that would be great for development. This could spur major development in that area.

Van Asche Drive in Fayetteville will be extended to connect w/ Gregg. The groundbreaking was held last week. For those you are unfamiliar w/ the street, it runs from TGIFridays/Fuddruckers area, back behind Target then westward towards Gregg. There is also talk of redoing the rest of the street westward to I-540 and Hwy 112. This will provide better connectivity from the interstate and new Sams to the Mall area of North Fayetteville. There is alot of flat undeveloped land laying from Gregg to the interstate that would be great for development. This could spur major development in that area.

Yeah I think there's a good chance of the northwest area of Fayetteville really become a hotspot for development and having a connection over to that area would be a big help.

^

If you're coming from the east side of Rogers you will be able to use the northbound Perry Road/I-540 interchange by Christmas:

the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department plans to open the northbound off-ramp to the retail center by Thanksgiving and the northbound on-ramp to I-540 by Christmas, said Steve Glass, Rogers

It looks like anyone who wants to voice their opinion about the Bella Vista Bypass can attend some meetings in Gravette. The first one is on Nov. 15th from 4 to 7 pm at the Gravette High School and the other will be on Nov. 16th from 4 to 7 pm at the Bella Vista Baptist Church.

THANKS Matt! I came here specifically to find this information. As I've said before, we've been told the bypass will run behind our backyard, basically, about 800 feet from our house. I had heard there was a meeting coming up, but wasn't sure when or where. I appreciate the info.

• 2 weeks later...