Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Isn't it second only to UofA?

With enrollment around 17,000 or something.

I thought UALR was second only to the UofA. In fact UALR has been growing pretty well. If the UofA doesn't do a good job UALR could surpass it in enrollment. But I do know that they've been really trying to make a strong effort to increase enrollment here. I think they're trying to hit the 22,000 area. But I think they are going a little more slowly than they want. I think they've only gotten around 17,000 to 18,000. But that still an improvement over the 14,000 area they were stuck at for a long time.

I thought UALR was second only to the UofA. In fact UALR has been growing pretty well. If the UofA doesn't do a good job UALR could surpass it in enrollment. But I do know that they've been really trying to make a strong effort to increase enrollment here. I think they're trying to hit the 22,000 area. But I think they are going a little more slowly than they want. I think they've only gotten around 17,000 to 18,000. But that still an improvement over the 14,000 area they were stuck at for a long time.

UCA is on the map too.

UALR and ASU must be neck and neck then. I didn't know UALR was growing that fast. Good for Little Rock!

UCA is on the map too.

UALR and ASU must be neck and neck then. I didn't know UALR was growing that fast. Good for Little Rock!

I could be wrong but that's what I thought about UALR. I'm sure one of our central Arkansas forumers could inform us. Well if they happen to look at our wondering topic here. :D

Alright. Let's get back on topic.

I was reading an article that said that Single Point Urban Interchanges could help solve traffic problems in NW Arkansas.

Do you think that things like Single Point Urban Interchanges (SPUI's) could help solve traffic problems around busy interchanges along the Interstate.

Alright. Let's get back on topic.

I was reading an article that said that Single Point Urban Interchanges could help solve traffic problems in NW Arkansas.

Do you think that things like Single Point Urban Interchanges (SPUI's) could help solve traffic problems around busy interchanges along the Interstate.

Yes that was particularly mentioned for a couple of interchanges here in Fayetteville. I think it's a bit expensive though. But I do think it would help only having one light instead of the multiple lights you tend to have on side roads near I-540. But it is something that really should be looked into even if many people don't like the idea of widening I-540. That is a big problem right now I think, not just traffic on I-540 but getting on and off I-540 and those side and connecting roads.

Yes that was particularly mentioned for a couple of interchanges here in Fayetteville. I think it's a bit expensive though. But I do think it would help only having one light instead of the multiple lights you tend to have on side roads near I-540. But it is something that really should be looked into even if many people don't like the idea of widening I-540. That is a big problem right now I think, not just traffic on I-540 but getting on and off I-540 and those side and connecting roads.

That is a big problem. In Rogers, Walnut Street off the Interstate is horrible. But recently they put double turn lanes in, so hopefully that will help a little.

That is a big problem. In Rogers, Walnut Street off the Interstate is horrible. But recently they put double turn lanes in, so hopefully that will help a little.

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've been in Rogers. I know it's not Walnut but what's that street near the Scottsdale Center? That area tends to be the area of Rogers I have been to very recently.

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've been in Rogers. I know it's not Walnut but what's that street near the Scottsdale Center? That area tends to be the area of Rogers I have been to very recently.

Walnut and Olive are both near Scottsdale Center, but Walnut is the only one with access to the Interstate. A few years ago they wanted to put in an interchange at Olive, but decided that it wasn't feasable.

Walnut and Olive are both near Scottsdale Center, but Walnut is the only one with access to the Interstate. A few years ago they wanted to put in an interchange at Olive, but decided that it wasn't feasable.

Guess I'm wrong and that was Walnut. Some reason I thought that was further north. Shows you how much I know about Rogers :lol: I think I-540 is still rated as a rural interstate and not an urban one. Maybe I'm wrong on this also but aren't urban interstate roads the only ones that can have interchanges less than a mile away from each other? Wasn't that part of the deal with that new interchange they're putting in around southern Rogers? They had to put it a little bit further south than they would like because it had to be at least a mile away from another interchange?

Guess I'm wrong and that was Walnut. Some reason I thought that was further north. Shows you how much I know about Rogers :lol: I think I-540 is still rated as a rural interstate and not an urban one. Maybe I'm wrong on this also but aren't urban interstate roads the only ones that can have interchanges less than a mile away from each other? Wasn't that part of the deal with that new interchange they're putting in around southern Rogers? They had to put it a little bit further south than they would like because it had to be at least a mile away from another interchange?

I'd like to see the Interstate changed to an urban interstate as well. If it didn't have a median and had a concrete wall seperating it like in Tulsa or so, I would feel more like the second most populated area of the state and not driving through nowwhere.

They moved the plans for Perry Road for that exact reason. They will also have a little bit more room to work with since Pinnacle has already developed land in the way of the previous plans.

I'd like to see the Interstate changed to an urban interstate as well. If it didn't have a median and had a concrete wall seperating it like in Tulsa or so, I would feel more like the second most populated area of the state and not driving through nowwhere.

They moved the plans for Perry Road for that exact reason. They will also have a little bit more room to work with since Pinnacle has already developed land in the way of the previous plans.

I guess if they ever did widen I-540 they'd have to change it to an urban insterstate. But that sounds like a good option. Widen it to at least 6 lanes, taking up the space in the center with a concrete seperator.

I guess if they ever did widen I-540 they'd have to change it to an urban insterstate. But that sounds like a good option. Widen it to at least 6 lanes, taking up the space in the center with a concrete seperator.

Yeah and they wouldn't have to worry about reclaiming all the land along the Interstate and moving back utilities, but if they really wanted to plan for the future, than certain spots should be 8 lanes.

Yeah and they wouldn't have to worry about reclaiming all the land along the Interstate and moving back utilities, but if they really wanted to plan for the future, than certain spots should be 8 lanes.

Yes, especially in Benton County. I think there was only one section along northwest Fayetteville that was recommended to be 8 lanes.

Parts of I-540 between Springdale and Rogers are a little like being in the middle of nowhere. A wide median is just good, sane planning. I-630 in Little Rock needs to be 8 lanes as much as I-540 needs to be 6, the problem is that there is no median - to widen it will mean major reconstruction of the entire course with new overpasses, accesses, etc. The most crowded interstate section in Arkansas is the small segment of I-30 where it begins in NLR until I-630 in downtown LR, where it carries a lot of extra traffic from merging interstates through downtown. It needs to be 8 lines badly and probably never will as the Arkansas River Bridge is not wide enough to accomodate two more lanes to make it eight and widening the rest would create a dangerous bottleneck at the bridge. Good road planning means leaving plenty of room to expand where needed and that's OK.

Parts of I-540 between Springdale and Rogers are a little like being in the middle of nowhere.

That is true, but there is more development happening in between the two cities. I wish more could happen out there. It just needs to be widened because a lot of people commute between Washington and Benton Counties. And if I-49 is ever complete, than the Interstate is going to see even more traffic.

Parts of I-540 between Springdale and Rogers are a little like being in the middle of nowhere. A wide median is just good, sane planning. I-630 in Little Rock needs to be 8 lanes as much as I-540 needs to be 6, the problem is that there is no median - to widen it will mean major reconstruction of the entire course with new overpasses, accesses, etc. The most crowded interstate section in Arkansas is the small segment of I-30 where it begins in NLR until I-630 in downtown LR, where it carries a lot of extra traffic from merging interstates through downtown. It needs to be 8 lines badly and probably never will as the Arkansas River Bridge is not wide enough to accomodate two more lanes to make it eight and widening the rest would create a dangerous bottleneck at the bridge. Good road planning means leaving plenty of room to expand where needed and that's OK.

Ah good, someone else joins in on the Matt and Mith hour here. :lol: I do see what you're saying. But I would like to see I-540 widened, although I certainly can't argue that there are roads around Little Rock that also should be widened. But Little Rock does have interstate roads with more than just two lanes and we have nothing so far. But you do raise a good point. Widening the road on the outside if possible does make it easier to widen the road to the inside for future growth. Not sure if Arkansas plans ahead enough for that type of thinking though. :D

Ah good, someone else joins in on the Matt and Mith hour here. :lol: I do see what you're saying. But I would like to see I-540 widened, although I certainly can't argue that there are roads around Little Rock that also should be widened. But Little Rock does have interstate roads with more than just two lanes and we have nothing so far. But you do raise a good point. Widening the road on the outside if possible does make it easier to widen the road to the inside for future growth. Not sure if Arkansas plans ahead enough for that type of thinking though. :D

Yeah good to hear from you Aporkalypse. It seems that were on a roll here Mith.

I really haven't been to Little Rock that much so I can't speak for it on Interstate traffic. Yet I do know that one of you interstate's has around 120,000 cars pass by it a day. The highest traffic count we have around here is 60,000 or so. Pleasant Crossing's website www.pleasantcrossing.com claims that 80,000 cars pass by that intersection a day, but I don't believe it.

Yeah good to hear from you Aporkalypse. It seems that were on a roll here Mith.

I really haven't been to Little Rock that much so I can't speak for it on Interstate traffic. Yet I do know that one of you interstate's has around 120,000 cars pass by it a day. The highest traffic count we have around here is 60,000 or so. Pleasant Crossing's website www.pleasantcrossing.com claims that 80,000 cars pass by that intersection a day, but I don't believe it.

Our highest counts are around where our old 'bypass' curves to the northeast near Landers. But I can't recall any numbers right now.

Our highest counts are around where our old 'bypass' curves to the northeast near Landers. But I can't recall any numbers right now.

I remember reading that in Springdale along Wagon Wheel Road and 412, the traffic counts around 65,000.

There are some pretty busy intersections also in NW Arkansas.

Isn't Joyce and College the second busiest intersection in the state or something like that?

I remember reading that in Springdale along Wagon Wheel Road and 412, the traffic counts around 65,000.

There are some pretty busy intersections also in NW Arkansas.

Isn't Joyce and College the second busiest intersection in the state or something like that?

It's up there, I also hear a lot about 71B and 412 in Springdale. I know it's always mired in traffic every time I've driven through. I think all the Tyson and George's trucks really back things up there also.

It's up there, I also hear a lot about 71B and 412 in Springdale. I know it's always mired in traffic every time I've driven through. I think all the Tyson and George's trucks really back things up there also.

Walton and 8th street infront of Wal-Mart HQ is pretty busy too. It's in the top 10 busiest in Arkansas I think.

They really need to add double turn lanes at that intersection. I know they are spending $35 Million on 8th street to make it 5 lanes and connect it to the Interstate, but double turn lanes need to be added on that intersection. So many people turn right or left onto 8th street there to get to Wal-Mart o

Walton and 8th street infront of Wal-Mart HQ is pretty busy too. It's in the top 10 busiest in Arkansas I think.

They really need to add double turn lanes at that intersection. I know they are spending $35 Million on 8th street to make it 5 lanes and connect it to the Interstate, but double turn lanes need to be added on that intersection. So many people turn right or left onto 8th street there to get to Wal-Mart o

Yeah Walton and 8th is another one I've heard about. Although I don't think I've actually been there as far as I know.

Looked like we had a visitor who was writing a response to this topic but I don't see him or his reponse here. Thought we might have attracted some attraction. I don't think many of the moderators visit our forum very much. I have had one e-mail me to tell me my signature was too big twice. The only times it was noticed though was when I was posting more often in other areas, when the Arkansas forum was going through some slow times. I'm still hoping our Arkansas forum moderator makes a visit and adds a post. :D Although I guess it's nice to know we haven't caused too many problems and have had to have moderators come by and 'straighten' us out.

Edited by Mith242