Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Looking at some of the maps help me appreciate some of the possible projects that might be possible for northwest Arkansas. The 'western' bypass would basically just keep running south of the future bypass around Bella Vista and not head southeast as I-540 does. Also they do have an 'eastern parkway' running all the way up into Benton County and reconnecting to I-540 north of Bentonville. I wonder just how possible it is to get that close to Beaver Lake and how expensive that may be but they do have it shown on one of the maps. Apparently there was a survey of long term transportation plans in northwest Arkansas. The light rail project got a favorable 67% response. So although this is a study and only a sampling of the general population the light rail seems to be gaining support. It still looks most people aren't ready for I-540 to be 6 to 8 lanes. Over half the people opted to improving intersecting roads and other major alternative roads before widening I-540.

The Eastern Parkway would cost a lot in Benton County and take a long time to boar through all the mountain sides and steep areas. In Washington County, I'm sure it's more suited and would be more feasable.

I'm glad the light rail got so much support, but I wonder if those figures are off somewhat. I guess what I am saying is that do they represent all the views of the citizens of NW Arkansas. The Light Rail is getting a lot of support in Rogers, but a regionwide bus system has to come up into Benton County.

The Eastern Parkway would cost a lot in Benton County and take a long time to boar through all the mountain sides and steep areas. In Washington County, I'm sure it's more suited and would be more feasable.

I'm glad the light rail got so much support, but I wonder if those figures are off somewhat. I guess what I am saying is that do they represent all the views of the citizens of NW Arkansas. The Light Rail is getting a lot of support in Rogers, but a regionwide bus system has to come up into Benton County.

I believe it was an official study and I would think that they'd try to get a good overall reflection of the population here. Of course no study or survey is totally accurate. I think they mentioned that there were 600 people involved. An Eastern Parkway wouldn't be real simple over here in Washington County either. The east part of town is much more hilly than the west side. Springdale might not cause too many problems although I think there are also a few scattered hills towards the eastern edges of the city. But they be small enough to avoid many of them. Which would you rather see done, the western part of the 412 bypass or more smaller projects done all over northwest Arkansas?

I believe it was an official study and I would think that they'd try to get a good overall reflection of the population here. Of course no study or survey is totally accurate. I think they mentioned that there were 600 people involved. An Eastern Parkway wouldn't be real simple over here in Washington County either. The east part of town is much more hilly than the west side. Springdale might not cause too many problems although I think there are also a few scattered hills towards the eastern edges of the city. But they be small enough to avoid many of them. Which would you rather see done, the western part of the 412 bypass or more smaller projects done all over northwest Arkansas?

That's a tough question to ask.

I think I'd have to go with more smaller projects here in NW Arkansas. Places like 102 in Bentonville and a lot of places near the interstate could use roads widening. The 412 is important, but i think other places need the money now.

That's a tough question to ask.

I think I'd have to go with more smaller projects here in NW Arkansas. Places like 102 in Bentonville and a lot of places near the interstate could use roads widening. The 412 is important, but i think other places need the money now.

Unfortunately this may be a sign of the future. Even when there is money available first we'll have to see if it will be spent in our part of the state. Because other areas of course are going to want part of it. We may have an argument for more need but other areas will argue they need new developments to help encourage growth. And then there's only going to be so much money to go around. I think people in northwest Arkansas will have to start decided more if they want smaller projects or a big project in one part of the area. Something for more immediate needs or something to benefit the whole region or that will be more helpful for the entire area in the future. The same thing applies for the light rail. Otherwise many of these large projects might take a decade or two before they are done if ever. But unfortunately I think we might have to give up some smaller projects if we want any of the larger projects done anywhere in the near future.

Unfortunately this may be a sign of the future. Even when there is money available first we'll have to see if it will be spent in our part of the state. Because other areas of course are going to want part of it. We may have an argument for more need but other areas will argue they need new developments to help encourage growth. And then there's only going to be so much money to go around. I think people in northwest Arkansas will have to start decided more if they want smaller projects or a big project in one part of the area. Something for more immediate needs or something to benefit the whole region or that will be more helpful for the entire area in the future. The same thing applies for the light rail. Otherwise many of these large projects might take a decade or two before they are done if ever. But unfortunately I think we might have to give up some smaller projects if we want any of the larger projects done anywhere in the near future.

Like other high-growth places in the country NWA will have to pay for the bulk of its transportation growth itself, aside from that involving I-540. This is why much of Florida has turned to toll roads and it may have to be considered if NWA hits a second boom, though if I had to guess I think growth will stay constant as an absolute but the percentage of growth will fall. I don't think toll roads would need to be considered unless lots of traffic problems started popping up, right now things are manageable. Impact fees needs to be a lot higher to develop local roads and arterials but county taxes will have to pay for most big roads. Ft Smith passed a tax to work on its roads and it is paying off well.

Conway is the place that really failed to take advantage of taxes and impact fees to manage its growth and traffic there is awful, unmanageable.

Like other high-growth places in the country NWA will have to pay for the bulk of its transportation growth itself, aside from that involving I-540. This is why much of Florida has turned to toll roads and it may have to be considered if NWA hits a second boom, though if I had to guess I think growth will stay constant as an absolute but the percentage of growth will fall. I don't think toll roads would need to be considered unless lots of traffic problems started popping up, right now things are manageable. Impact fees needs to be a lot higher to develop local roads and arterials but county taxes will have to pay for most big roads. Ft Smith passed a tax to work on its roads and it is paying off well.

Conway is the place that really failed to take advantage of taxes and impact fees to manage its growth and traffic there is awful, unmanageable.

I'm pretty sure that they want to make the Bella Vista Bypass as well as the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport Road both Toll Access.

Rogers is now considering Impact Fees for all developers, so may'be that will help.

I'm pretty sure that they want to make the Bella Vista Bypass as well as the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport Road both Toll Access.

Rogers is now considering Impact Fees for all developers, so may'be that will help.

I do think northwest Arkansas will have to look more into toll roads in the future if they want things done. I think this area is the area most likely to accept toll roads. Most people in Arkansas really don't seem to like the idea of toll roads. But with people here being closer to Oklahoma and having been a little more accustomed than maybe other people in the state. That and I think if traffic gets bad enough people will look to anything to help the road situation at some point in the future. I just don't think the state's going to be able to have the money to keep up with money for roads with the way the growth is up here.

I do think northwest Arkansas will have to look more into toll roads in the future if they want things done. I think this area is the area most likely to accept toll roads. Most people in Arkansas really don't seem to like the idea of toll roads. But with people here being closer to Oklahoma and having been a little more accustomed than maybe other people in the state. That and I think if traffic gets bad enough people will look to anything to help the road situation at some point in the future. I just don't think the state's going to be able to have the money to keep up with money for roads with the way the growth is up here.

Toll roads are slowly becoming the norm everywhere, they're the predominant form of new construction down here in Texas. Maintenance on existing roads is so high it makes it very difficult to build new roads without creating a heavy tax load. This also helps shift the burden to commercial carriers, though this ultimately comes out of our pockets one way or another.

Toll roads are slowly becoming the norm everywhere, they're the predominant form of new construction down here in Texas. Maintenance on existing roads is so high it makes it very difficult to build new roads without creating a heavy tax load. This also helps shift the burden to commercial carriers, though this ultimately comes out of our pockets one way or another.

I think what people will also have to accept is having to keep paying for toll roads too. If I'm not mistaken some of the toll roads in Oklahoma have already been paid for but the toll is still there. It seems like once a toll road always a toll road.

Well for all of you traffic gowers in NWA, a new section of New Hope Road in Rogers opened up, which has 5 lanes and connects to the Interstate. This is a very busy road that was 2 lanes, but a new section just opened up. They also want to make the on ramps on the Interstate connecting to it 2 lanes, so traffic in Rogers is getting better.

Well for all of you traffic gowers in NWA, a new section of New Hope Road in Rogers opened up, which has 5 lanes and connects to the Interstate. This is a very busy road that was 2 lanes, but a new section just opened up. They also want to make the on ramps on the Interstate connecting to it 2 lanes, so traffic in Rogers is getting better.

Yeah there really seems to be a lot of road work going on around Rogers.

Actually I didn't mean it as a bad thing. I'm sure it will help Rogers out quite a bit in the future.

It's not a bad thing, it's just that traffic is backed up even worse since construction on roads has started. In the long run it will be very beneficiary for Rogers and certainly NW Arkansas. Especially near all the mega developments and office towers on the west side of Rogers.

So Matt did you hear about your mayor slamming the light rail possibility? Looks like the Rogers mayor doesn't think it's a very worthwhile project. But I think most people are still thinking in today's terms and not looking more down the road. I think the study even said we don't need one now, but if we want to have one we need to start the process now before it's too expensive in the future.

So Matt did you hear about your mayor slamming the light rail possibility? Looks like the Rogers mayor doesn't think it's a very worthwhile project. But I think most people are still thinking in today's terms and not looking more down the road. I think the study even said we don't need one now, but if we want to have one we need to start the process now before it's too expensive in the future.

I did and I was extremely mad about the whole deal :angry: Womack only focuses on Suburbian kind of growth. If he only say the positives from this that it would develop urban projects in the city and we would have better transportation.

I did and I was extremely mad about the whole deal :angry: Womack only focuses on Suburbian kind of growth. If he only say the positives from this that it would develop urban projects in the city and we would have better transportation.

Well the good news is that he won't be in office forever. Hopefully Rogers will have better mayors who are more willing to look into such possibilities. I can understand people not necessarily liking the light rail plan but he seemed rather dismissive without looking into it more seriously.

Well the good news is that he won't be in office forever. Hopefully Rogers will have better mayors who are more willing to look into such possibilities. I can understand people not necessarily liking the light rail plan but he seemed rather dismissive without looking into it more seriously.

That's true, his term ends pretty soon so we can may'be get a mayor who will support more urban projects. Although, Womack has gotten on the ball about street construction and the Scottsdale Center and the hopeful TIF.

That's true, his term ends pretty soon so we can may'be get a mayor who will support more urban projects. Although, Womack has gotten on the ball about street construction and the Scottsdale Center and the hopeful TIF.

I guess TIFs are maybe another possible topic for the board but they have no role in a place like NWA which is growing anyway, IMO. All they do is take tax money away from the schools. Improving run-down inner city areas is the usual use and I think they're acceptable for that.

I guess TIFs are maybe another possible topic for the board but they have no role in a place like NWA which is growing anyway, IMO. All they do is take tax money away from the schools. Improving run-down inner city areas is the usual use and I think they're acceptable for that.

I do think they could cause problems for much of northwest Arkansas because most of the school districts are growing at such a rapid rate and they need all the money they can get. Fayetteville did use a TIF for the Mountain Inn demolition project. Although I don't think it will hurt Fayetteville as much as other areas, although I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. Fayetteville's school district is growing at a much slower rate than the rest of northwest Arkansas'. I think having a numer of school districts just outside city limits has helped keep growth in the school district from being what it is in so many other areas of northwest Arkansas.

I didn't agree with the TIF that Mayor Wolmack proposed since it was so big. It covered around 5 miles and seemed too much. It wouldn't be fair to our schools either.

I'll agree with you Aporkalypse that TIF's in Arkansas are being abused somewhat, and should be used only in run down areas that need improvement.

Looks like northwest Arkansas could be looking into a more high-tech system to control traffic in the area. I think Fayetteville has been working with this on a small scale. But it sounds like this could be something on a regional scale and not just one city. Although KNWA, where I heard about this, didn't seem to have a lot of details about this.

Looks like northwest Arkansas could be looking into a more high-tech system to control traffic in the area. I think Fayetteville has been working with this on a small scale. But it sounds like this could be something on a regional scale and not just one city. Although KNWA, where I heard about this, didn't seem to have a lot of details about this.

I read about that.

They want to have electronic message boards along the Interstate, with signs and traffic coordination from Bentonville to Fayetteville. It sounds interesting and promissing.

I read about that.

They want to have electronic message boards along the Interstate, with signs and traffic coordination from Bentonville to Fayetteville. It sounds interesting and promissing.

I wish I had been able to see more details about this. I believe Fayetteville already uses a somewhat high-tech system at least on a limited extent. But it would be great for all the cities to have this in northwest Arkansas and also be coordinated and work together. Any ideas on how other areas like Rogers, Bentonville and Springdale have their system set up at the moment?

I wish I had been able to see more details about this. I believe Fayetteville already uses a somewhat high-tech system at least on a limited extent. But it would be great for all the cities to have this in northwest Arkansas and also be coordinated and work together. Any ideas on how other areas like Rogers, Bentonville and Springdale have their system set up at the moment?

I know traffic signals near Rogers and Bentonville especially near 45th Street, Olive Street, and Moberly where the signals are coordinated.

I would like to see highway electronic billboards that say where accidents and construction is.

Also, you know those overhead signs on the Interstate that tell how far you are from cities, streets, and points of interest? I think the time has come for those to be put in. There are plenty of people who get lost in NWA because of the extensive street network. It would work out in the long run, although I'm not sure if it would be supported.