Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

I know traffic signals near Rogers and Bentonville especially near 45th Street, Olive Street, and Moberly where the signals are coordinated.

I would like to see highway electronic billboards that say where accidents and construction is.

Also, you know those overhead signs on the Interstate that tell how far you are from cities, streets, and points of interest? I think the time has come for those to be put in. There are plenty of people who get lost in NWA because of the extensive street network. It would work out in the long run, although I'm not sure if it would be supported.

Yeah I-540 is obviously not I-40 but it would be nice if they'd put in better signs. I this is becoming a big enough metro that we should have signs like we should. I know there is some confusion on street because of all the different cities. A road will suddenly change names from city to city. That and Fayetteville's street can be confusing because we have a number of streets that don't conform to the grid system. A lot of the older streets were trails and conformed more to the topography of the area. Although I sorta like Fayetteville that way although it certainly does make it harder and more confusing.

Do you think they should put in overhead signs that tell you where streets, cities, and points of interest are?

Yes I think they should. Granted out metro is rather spread out but I think most metros our size do have these type of signs. I think it would help. I think some of it has to do with I-540 designation. I think officially it's still listed as a rural interstate and not an urban interstate. There are some differences on what each type can do. Speed limits are lower on urban interstates. So you'd also have to be willing to drop the speed limit down and some things like that.

Yes I think they should. Granted out metro is rather spread out but I think most metros our size do have these type of signs. I think it would help. I think some of it has to do with I-540 designation. I think officially it's still listed as a rural interstate and not an urban interstate. There are some differences on what each type can do. Speed limits are lower on urban interstates. So you'd also have to be willing to drop the speed limit down and some things like that.

I wouldn't mind having a lower speed limit.

The signs would help us feel more urban along with no median and such.

I do think they could cause problems for much of northwest Arkansas because most of the school districts are growing at such a rapid rate and they need all the money they can get. Fayetteville did use a TIF for the Mountain Inn demolition project. Although I don't think it will hurt Fayetteville as much as other areas, although I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. Fayetteville's school district is growing at a much slower rate than the rest of northwest Arkansas'. I think having a numer of school districts just outside city limits has helped keep growth in the school district from being what it is in so many other areas of northwest Arkansas.

There have been three TIF areas discussed in Little Rock. One was downtown, which wasn't a bad idea but honestly development took off on its own without the incentives there. Another was a huge swath of West Little Rock, which liked the proposed area of Rogers along I-540, was going to boom regardless - it was just proposed to line developers' pockets. The third was that if University and Park Plaza malls closed in favor of West Little Rock malls, to create a TIF to redevelop that part of Central Little Rock. If both malls close and nobody is stepping in to redevelop I might support that. However, there is heavy interest in going into the University Mall site. Target wants it as does St Vincent's Infirmary for physicians' offices.

I don't think it will hurt Fayetteville, I agree, and Fayetteville schools aren't struggling from growth as much as those in Benton Co, but nonetheless the area around Dickson and the Square would do well in any case, no incentives were needed there.

There have been three TIF areas discussed in Little Rock. One was downtown, which wasn't a bad idea but honestly development took off on its own without the incentives there. Another was a huge swath of West Little Rock, which liked the proposed area of Rogers along I-540, was going to boom regardless - it was just proposed to line developers' pockets. The third was that if University and Park Plaza malls closed in favor of West Little Rock malls, to create a TIF to redevelop that part of Central Little Rock. If both malls close and nobody is stepping in to redevelop I might support that. However, there is heavy interest in going into the University Mall site. Target wants it as does St Vincent's Infirmary for physicians' offices.

I don't think it will hurt Fayetteville, I agree, and Fayetteville schools aren't struggling from growth as much as those in Benton Co, but nonetheless the area around Dickson and the Square would do well in any case, no incentives were needed there.

It does seem that Fayetteville shouldn't have to do something like that. I'm not sure why they had to demolish the Mountain Inn before any developers would be interested in it. There are some areas of town I'd like to see something happen with before they become eyesores but I really don't think Fayetteville should have to rely on TIFs to do that.

Edited by Mith242

Looks like the route for the 412 Bypass was finally released today.

The route will start around the Brush Creek Road area west of Tontitown, head northeast around the outskirts of Elm Springs, makes an instersection with I-540 near the Bethel Heights exit and head east and connect with the existing 412 near Beaver Lake.

The highway will consist of four lanes of interstate-quality road. Two Lanes in each direction.

However, funding for the $300 Million project is still unknown.

Looks like the route for the 412 Bypass was finally released today.

The route will start around the Brush Creek Road area west of Tontitown, head northeast around the outskirts of Elm Springs, makes an instersection with I-540 near the Bethel Heights exit and head east and connect with the existing 412 near Beaver Lake.

The highway will consist of four lanes of interstate-quality road. Two Lanes in each direction.

However, funding for the $300 Million project is still unknown.

Beat me to it :D , although I was going to mention more about the route will bypass the area with the endangered blind Ozark cavefish near Cave Springs. They will also not build any interchanges or frontage roads near that area either. Keeping the recharge area for the cave relatively unscathed. It also helps keeping them from having to make some changes to the Wagon Wheel Rd and 412 bypass intersection.

Beat me to it :D , although I was going to mention more about the route will bypass the area with the endangered blind Ozark cavefish near Cave Springs. They will also not build any interchanges or frontage roads near that area either. Keeping the recharge area for the cave relatively unscathed. It also helps keeping them from having to make some changes to the Wagon Wheel Rd and 412 bypass intersection.

Where's the endangered cavefish located at?

I heard that they have $26.5 Million set aside for the project, and need an additional $323.5 Million!!

:shok:

Where's the endangered cavefish located at?

I heard that they have $26.5 Million set aside for the project, and need an additional $323.5 Million!!

:shok:

I don't know the exact location, just somewhere near the Cave Springs area. They sometime don't always give out exact locations to keep people from going out upsetting their habitat. There are a number of areas that have them. I think there might even be some around northwest sections of Fayetteville. I think there are some near XNA too. Yeah there's still a long ways to go for the money. There could be more if they pool some money from a number of other smaller projects in the area that could possibly be done in the near future. Not sure if people will give up their individual projects that will be closer to some of these people for trying to complete the western section of the 412 bypass.

I don't know the exact location, just somewhere near the Cave Springs area. They sometime don't always give out exact locations to keep people from going out upsetting their habitat. There are a number of areas that have them. I think there might even be some around northwest sections of Fayetteville. I think there are some near XNA too. Yeah there's still a long ways to go for the money. There could be more if they pool some money from a number of other smaller projects in the area that could possibly be done in the near future. Not sure if people will give up their individual projects that will be closer to some of these people for trying to complete the western section of the 412 bypass.

I think the smaller projects should continue to be our number one priority. Then, the Bella Vista Bypass, and widening I-540.

BTW, I found out that Bentonville is planning to implement a trolley system that will take workers from their offices to restaurants in downtown Bentonville. This could a big boost for Bentonville and allow even more urbanism in the downtown portion. Hopefully Fayetteville can start a trolley system around the downtown and college areas and they could connect to transit buses.

I think the smaller projects should continue to be our number one priority. Then, the Bella Vista Bypass, and widening I-540.

BTW, I found out that Bentonville is planning to implement a trolley system that will take workers from their offices to restaurants in downtown Bentonville. This could a big boost for Bentonville and allow even more urbanism in the downtown portion. Hopefully Fayetteville can start a trolley system around the downtown and college areas and they could connect to transit buses.

I thought you had already mentioned the trolley before. But yes I saw that mentioned in the paper too. Before I forget to ask again which paper do you prefer? But yes I'd like to see Fayetteville put in a trolley system. Even if they started off small, maybe have it run along Dickson. Start off at the university down to all the restaurants and such down to Block and then head over to the Square. I wish they had thought of that before they did all the work on Dickson St a few years ago. If they had planned ahead they could have added more space for a trolley to go down Dickson.

I thought you had already mentioned the trolley before. But yes I saw that mentioned in the paper too. Before I forget to ask again which paper do you prefer? But yes I'd like to see Fayetteville put in a trolley system. Even if they started off small, maybe have it run along Dickson. Start off at the university down to all the restaurants and such down to Block and then head over to the Square. I wish they had thought of that before they did all the work on Dickson St a few years ago. If they had planned ahead they could have added more space for a trolley to go down Dickson.

I said that they had been considering it :P .

Looks like now it's official now.

Do you not see it possible in Fayetteville?

Edited by mcheiss

I said that they had been considering it :P .

Looks like now it's official now.

Do you not see it possible in Fayetteville?

I think it is possible, I just think if they had done some things differently it could work better. But for that matter I've heard no big talk of a trolley system here in Fayetteville. So I don't think there's anything in the works for now. I'm not sure when they'd start looking more into it. But it certainly seems like something that would be a good fit with Fayetteville.

I think it is possible, I just think if they had done some things differently it could work better. But for that matter I've heard no big talk of a trolley system here in Fayetteville. So I don't think there's anything in the works for now. I'm not sure when they'd start looking more into it. But it certainly seems like something that would be a good fit with Fayetteville.

I think it would as well.

Fayetteville is the most urban feel city in NWA and the largest city in NWA for that matter. With the college, retail, and restaurant possibilities, not to mention entertainment, It would be a perfect fit. Although, I wonder what kind of an effect it would have on Razorback Transit.

Hopefully, this new trolley system is going to connect to places like the Pinnacle Area.

I think it would as well.

Fayetteville is the most urban feel city in NWA and the largest city in NWA for that matter. With the college, retail, and restaurant possibilities, not to mention entertainment, It would be a perfect fit. Although, I wonder what kind of an effect it would have on Razorback Transit.

Hopefully, this new trolley system is going to connect to places like the Pinnacle Area.

That could be one of the reasons it hasn't come up more seriously in discussion. Razorback Transit does a pretty good job at least in a number of areas in the city. There may not be a big need of a trolley system because of that. That and the fact that a trolley might hurt Razorback Transit also. I heard about the trolley in Bentonville but don't recall hearing about it going over to the Pinnacle Area. Although it does sound like a good idea.

That could be one of the reasons it hasn't come up more seriously in discussion. Razorback Transit does a pretty good job at least in a number of areas in the city. There may not be a big need of a trolley system because of that. That and the fact that a trolley might hurt Razorback Transit also. I heard about the trolley in Bentonville but don't recall hearing about it going over to the Pinnacle Area. Although it does sound like a good idea.

It would.

Considering all of the retail, restaurant, residential, and class A office space possibilities.

It would be nice if the trolley system would connect to Ozark Regional Transit in Bentonville and than to the system in Rogers. It would create somewhat of a nice transit system in Benton County.

I'm wondering when Ozark Regional Transit is going to make a line from Fayetteville all the way up to Bentonville. I think there's enough demand for such a line.

It would.

Considering all of the retail, restaurant, residential, and class A office space possibilities.

It would be nice if the trolley system would connect to Ozark Regional Transit in Bentonville and than to the system in Rogers. It would create somewhat of a nice transit system in Benton County.

I'm wondering when Ozark Regional Transit is going to make a line from Fayetteville all the way up to Bentonville. I think there's enough demand for such a line.

To be honest I don't know the routes Ozark Regional Transit travels. I am more familiar with Razorback. I do know that Ozark Regional seems to be all over northwest Arkansas but I'm not so sure on the intracity routes. I'm pretty sure Razorback doesn't travel outside Fayetteville city limits. I wonder how many routes Ozark Regional has between cities and which cities are connected.

To be honest I don't know the routes Ozark Regional Transit travels. I am more familiar with Razorback. I do know that Ozark Regional seems to be all over northwest Arkansas but I'm not so sure on the intracity routes. I'm pretty sure Razorback doesn't travel outside Fayetteville city limits. I wonder how many routes Ozark Regional has between cities and which cities are connected.

Let's see

Rogers has two routes, one on the north side and the other on the south side. Bentonville has one route that goes pretty much in Wal-Mart territory and midtown. Fayetteville has two routes, one that goes from the mall down college to the square, and the other that goes around 6th street and around school avenue. Springdale has two routes, one on the east side and the other on the west side.

Another thing that holds Ozark Regional Transit back is the fact that the run on the small buses. Most people think that these buses are church buses. Once we get buses like Razorback transit and bus benches and stuff, the transit will take off.

Let's see

Rogers has two routes, one on the north side and the other on the south side. Bentonville has one route that goes pretty much in Wal-Mart territory and midtown. Fayetteville has two routes, one that goes from the mall down college to the square, and the other that goes around 6th street and around school avenue. Springdale has two routes, one on the east side and the other on the west side.

Another thing that holds Ozark Regional Transit back is the fact that the run on the small buses. Most people think that these buses are church buses. Once we get buses like Razorback transit and bus benches and stuff, the transit will take off.

Funny point, the first time I kept seeing their buses I thought they were church buses too. Yeah bigger buses would be nice but I wonder if they have the need for them yet. Razorback covers a much smaller area but because they tend to focus more on university students they have lots of riders. Especially since parking on campus is either hard to come across or pretty expensive.

Funny point, the first time I kept seeing their buses I thought they were church buses too. Yeah bigger buses would be nice but I wonder if they have the need for them yet. Razorback covers a much smaller area but because they tend to focus more on university students they have lots of riders. Especially since parking on campus is either hard to come across or pretty expensive.

I guess so. But there's so many hispanics up here that if they knew about the service, they would ride it. There's density in places like Springdale and Rogers for these. May'be once ridership gets a little higher, we can see bigger buses. Advertising on Ozark Regional Transit could be better also.

I guess so. But there's so many hispanics up here that if they knew about the service, they would ride it. There's density in places like Springdale and Rogers for these. May'be once ridership gets a little higher, we can see bigger buses. Advertising on Ozark Regional Transit could be better also.

That's another difference between the two bus services. Ozark Regional advertises on it's buses but Razorback doesn't.

I was referring to on the bus, but I take it that wasn't what you were referring to. Either way Razorback doesn't do either type of advertising.

Ah, I see now.

Ozark Regional does a somewhat decent job; an occasional ad in the newspaper, or some T.V. time, but I think Billboard signs, radio station announcements, and most of all actual bus stops is the key to getting the transit up and running around here.