Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Can anyone more familiar with road construction enlighten me as to any recourse the city has vs. contractors when the projects run long?

I ask because Mt. Comfort has been under construction since April '09, with a scheduled completion of Fall 2010. Obviously they've missed that, but there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency to finish up. I know weather plays a factor, but there have been plenty of nice weekends and nights that work could have been going on. Instead, one day of rain or cold weather during the week seems to keep any work from happening.

As a driver, there's nothing I can do, but as a taxpayer, I'm hoping that the city is at least getting a little bit of change back from the construction company the longer this drags on.

The Gridlock Guru had something about this recently. The best I remember there is period of time during the winter months when the construction company doesn't have to do anything and I believe we are still in that time period. After that time is up they have to meet the agreed upon deadline or pay daily penalities- that is in most contracts these days. If that time is coming up you can be sure they will move fast to finish up- they won't want to give their profit back to the city. Any project the size of the Mt. Comfort one will take at least two or three years so they are pretty much on schedule.

Edited by zman9810

The Gridlock Guru had something about this recently. The best I remember there is period of time during the winter months when the construction company doesn't have to do anything and I believe we are still in that time period. After that time is up they have to meet the agreed upon deadline or pay daily penalities- that is in most contracts these days. If that time is coming up you can be sure they will move fast to finish up- they won't want to give their profit back to the city. Any project the size of the Mt. Comfort one will take at least two or three years so they are pretty much on schedule.

Is there a mast plan floating around for this intersection. Something needs to happen ASAP. Im tried of putting my life into other drivers hands when I cross north st. going north on garland. Its one giant cluster f***. I thought little rock was slow on street improvements, but this is ridiculous. Ive been in fayetteville for 3 years and its only getting worse by time.

Is there a mast plan floating around for this intersection. Something needs to happen ASAP. Im tried of putting my life into other drivers hands when I cross north st. going north on garland. Its one giant cluster f***. I thought little rock was slow on street improvements, but this is ridiculous. Ive been in fayetteville for 3 years and its only getting worse by time.

If you're talking about widening Garland and moving the Mt Comfort intersection. I believe the city pushed it back because the city was worried it wouldn't have funds because sales tax revenue was down last year.

In other news looks like the Garland widening is going to be a while longer. Things were supposed to have already gotten underway. But with sales tax revenue down the city was basically unable to pay it's share of the project to the AHTD the past September. The city doesn't want to put it off for too long however or it sounds like they could end up losing a couple of million in federal funds. By this September the city should be done with acquiring property and relocating utility lines. But from what I understand the actual construction won't start till late 2012 or maybe even 2013.

Here we go.

If you're talking about widening Garland and moving the Mt Comfort intersection. I believe the city pushed it back because the city was worried it wouldn't have funds because sales tax revenue was down last year.

Here we go.

Thanks for the info! that's a shame, because I feel that area has got to be one of the most dangerous intersections in the city! Really wish the city would get a jump start on this.

Also, Whats going on at the MLK/540 intersection area? I see they are adding another on ramp north bound or they are just replacing the existing one

Another one of the areas that needs work ASAP is the College/Joice/business cutoff of 540. They badly need an on ramp for people going northbound on college. I wounder how many people have to go to the stop light and make a u-turn. I would imagine that if they did that it could cut the traffic in that area quite a bit.

Another one of the areas that needs work ASAP is the College/Joice/business cutoff of 540. They badly need an on ramp for people going northbound on college. I wounder how many people have to go to the stop light and make a u-turn. I would imagine that if they did that it could cut the traffic in that area quite a bit.

They've been talking about a flyover for that section for around a decade now. Someday it'll happen.

Yeah from what I understand only the early preliminary stuff is going on for the flyway. I'd have to say it's probably still years off. In that general area something that will happen in more 'immediate' terms will be the roundabout between Washington Regional and the Fulbright Expressway. The city needs to acquire more land from Washington Regional. While Washington Regional actually runs Fayetteville City Hospital near the public library the city actually owns that land. Washington Regional is wanting to do a land swap. Taking the City Hospital property in return of the land required to put in the roundabout.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a longish article in the NWA Times about the proposed sales tax increase for improved public transit surface. It has more detail than I've seen elsewhere:

--From 12 buses on 10 routes, to 59 buses on 39 routes within ten years

--120 employees added to the existing 57

--$15 million in annual revenue compared to today's $2.5 million

http://www.nwaonline...-time-20110320/

I'd like to see more info on proposed frequencies and operating days/hours too.

EDIT: This was supposed to go to the transport topic...

Edited by aerotive

There's a longish article in the NWA Times about the proposed sales tax increase for improved public transit surface. It has more detail than I've seen elsewhere:

Thanks for the link. And I got your post moved over as well. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The effort to make the state Highway Commission more accountable for their decisions on funding highway improvements did not succeed in the recent legislative session. There was an amendment offered to give the elected legislators of the state more control over how the commission operates. This was an obvious correction to the original amendment from 1952 that made the commission totally independent. It may have been a good idea 59 years ago when it is reported that corruption was rampant in state government but in 2011 it is not acceptable. The idea that the Highway Commission is truly independent is foolish- the commissioners are influenced not only by their district constituents but by their personal political beliefs. The way to help prevent favoritism is to spread the power over the larger group of elected representatives of the state.

The mistaken stated opinion of more than one of the highway commissioners that economic development follows highway improvements is reason to question the status quo. A prime example is what has occured in Northwest Arkansas in the recent boom years. The stated reasoning of one commissioner is that NWA boomed because of the completion of I540 from I40 to Fayetteville 11 years ago. In fact, NWA's boom years began in the early 90's when it did not have a 4 lane connection to the rest of the country. The Highway 412 4 lane improvement to Oklahoma was the first major improvement- the I540 completion wasn't until 2000 when the boom years were well underway. NWA boomed in spite of the transportation problems and with industries that needed good highways to succeed. It is true that these improvements were essential to the later growth of the region as will be the needed future improvements for the further growth of the area.

On the opposite side of this equation is how the current funding decisions are made. Much money was spent in improving I530 to Pine Bluff- the city has declined in population and it's economy has done the same. There has not been any study done that indicates that spending money on highways to a economically depressed region will magically turn that situation around. Using the very limited resources available for highway improvements to try to do so is a mistake and the current funding process makes it possible to do so. Either the Highway Commission needs to be more accountable for how funding is distributed or the Legisture needs to change how it operates. Highway funding should be seen as a utililty and not an economic development tool for depressed areas.

Edited by zman9810

The effort to make the state Highway Commission more accountable for their decisions on funding highway improvements did not succeed in the recent legislative session. There was an amendment offered to give the elected legislators of the state more control over how the commission operates. This was an obvious correction to the original amendment from 1952 that made the commission totally independent. It may have been a good idea 59 years ago when it is reported that corruption was rampant in state government but in 2011 it is not acceptable. The idea that the Highway Commission is truly independent is foolish- the commissioners are influenced not only by their district constituents but by their personal political beliefs. The way to help prevent favoritism is to spread the power over the larger group of elected representatives of the state.

The mistaken stated opinion of more than one of the highway commissioners that economic development follows highway improvements is reason to question the status quo. A prime example is what has occured in Northwest Arkansas in the recent boom years. The stated reasoning of one commissioner is that NWA boomed because of the completion of I540 from I40 to Fayetteville 11 years ago. In fact, NWA's boom years began in the early 90's when it did not have a 4 lane connection to the rest of the country. The Highway 412 4 lane improvement to Oklahoma was the first major improvement- the I540 completion wasn't until 2000 when the boom years were well underway. NWA boomed in spite of the transportation problems and with industries that needed good highways to succeed. It is true that these improvements were essential to the later growth of the region as will be the needed future improvements for the further growth of the area.

On the opposite side of this equation is how the current funding decisions are made. Much money was spent in improving I530 to Pine Bluff- the city has declined in population and it's economy has done the same. There has not been any study done that indicates that spending money on highways to a economically depressed region will magically turn that situation around. Using the very limited resources available for highway improvements to try to do so is a mistake and the current funding process makes it possible to do so. Either the Highway Commission needs to be more accountable for how funding is distributed or the Legislature needs to change how it operates. Highway funding should be seen as a utility and not an economic development tool for depressed areas.

Yeah their logic is flawed. As you've stated if all of this was the case NWA would have never grown to what it is. And other areas of the state should be thriving because of all the funds they receive for roads, which they clearly aren't. Good infrastructure is always helpful, but just to a certain point. It would certainly be great to see some changes made. I guess we're just going to have to wait longer though for it to happen. I'm just hoping now that NWA has reached the point to have it's own Regional Mobility Authority, it will hope overcome some of the statewide shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to look over the full report (http://www.ozark.org/images/pdf/TDP%20Final%20Report.pdf) and frankly don't really like their short-range plan, the one

that assumes the sales tax passes. There are significantly more routes, but with low quality--for example six of the seven Fayetteville routes would have hourly headways,

four of the seven have no evening service, and still no Sat/Sun service at all.

So if you are a choice rider, you can vote against the tax, and the fixed routes that you don't use anyway go away. Or you can vote for the tax, and have a somewhat

more extensive system that, due to bad frequencies and hours, you're still never going to use. I fear that many people will vote for the former option.

Finally got a chance to look over the full report (http://www.ozark.org/images/pdf/TDP%20Final%20Report.pdf) and frankly don't really like their short-range plan, the one

that assumes the sales tax passes. There are significantly more routes, but with low quality--for example six of the seven Fayetteville routes would have hourly headways,

four of the seven have no evening service, and still no Sat/Sun service at all.

So if you are a choice rider, you can vote against the tax, and the fixed routes that you don't use anyway go away. Or you can vote for the tax, and have a somewhat

more extensive system that, due to bad frequencies and hours, you're still never going to use. I fear that many people will vote for the former option.

True. But I think if people would vote for it ORT could still be flexible and change routes if there's demand. But wether that would sway enough people to vote for it, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another article about the proposed millage for improving the bus system:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2011/jun/02/transit-supporters-discuss-vision/

It will be a uphill battle to win support if only 16% of residents even kow about the request and less than that have ever used ORT. I like the "stops would be available within a quarter-mile of any home in the larger cities, buses run every 30 minutes or less, and hubs connect to rural routes carrying riders to and from smaller towns" idea. If gas prices stay high that will help raise support for the request.

I've used ORT at times and seen that for some people it is their main transportation option- it deserves some support, especially when it loses that federal funding.

It will be a uphill battle to win support if only 16% of residents even kow about the request and less than that have ever used ORT. I like the "stops would be available within a quarter-mile of any home in the larger cities, buses run every 30 minutes or less, and hubs connect to rural routes carrying riders to and from smaller towns" idea. If gas prices stay high that will help raise support for the request.

I've used ORT at times and seen that for some people it is their main transportation option- it deserves some support, especially when it loses that federal funding.

If it actually gets put on the ballot I'm sure that awareness percentage will go up, I imagine most any tax increase proposal will gain attention and opposition. I can see this playing out like Springdale's school millage--the big soup-to-nuts increase gets voted down,

then they come back with something more modest.

I would also like to see them increase frequencies--either by eliminating routes, shortening routes, reducing service hours, asking for more money or some combination thereof...the "choice riders" they talk about will not be enthused with 30-minute headways.

Edited by aerotive

Anyone know what is going on with 540? There have been numerous survey crews out for the past few weeks at different areas along 540.

I don't think it is for anything immediate- just ressearch for the long range plans of widening and interchange improvements.

Also, Whats going on at the MLK/540 intersection area? I see they are adding another on ramp north bound or they are just replacing the existing one

I believe when you exit I-540 southbound, there will be two left turn lanes and two right turn lanes, currently there is only one right turn lane. They moved the stoplight that faces east such that it is now at an angle that maybe indicates a continuous right movement. Also, it appears they are looking to modify the southbound on-ramp and the northbound off ramp. Once the northbound on ramp is moved upflow, it would be a lot easier to replace the red overpass bridges...but I don't know if that's in the works.

There was discussion of placing steel wire dividers up and down I-540 to prevent cars from crossing the median. Might be that.

I thought I had heard that other areas of Arkansas were going to get those first. I think around the I-540/MLK intersection they're doing some small scale improvements to that area. I don't recall seeing exactly what was happening. But construction is supposed to be completed at the end of the year.

I thought I had heard that other areas of Arkansas were going to get those first. I think around the I-540/MLK intersection they're doing some small scale improvements to that area. I don't recall seeing exactly what was happening. But construction is supposed to be completed at the end of the year.

The AHTD STIP includes $6.5 million for cable barriers from the AR 112/AR 265 Razorback Rd/Cato Springs Rd interchange north to US 62/AR 102 (24.45 mi), to be let in 2012.

Also, there is $5 million for the I-540/MLK interchange "improvements", which I read elsewhere would be completed in November 2011.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/stip/Final%20STIP%202010-2013%20%20Web%20Version.pdf

The AHTD STIP includes $6.5 million for cable barriers from the AR 112/AR 265 Razorback Rd/Cato Springs Rd interchange north to US 62/AR 102 (24.45 mi), to be let in 2012.

Also, there is $5 million for the I-540/MLK interchange "improvements", which I read elsewhere would be completed in November 2011.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/stip/Final%20STIP%202010-2013%20%20Web%20Version.pdf

That is great about the cable barriers- they seem to be the most cost effective safety improvements that can be made. It seems like every week or so you read about someone crossing the median with horrible results. It will be good to see it on the contract award page soon.