Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

The AHTD STIP includes $6.5 million for cable barriers from the AR 112/AR 265 Razorback Rd/Cato Springs Rd interchange north to US 62/AR 102 (24.45 mi), to be let in 2012.

Also, there is $5 million for the I-540/MLK interchange "improvements", which I read elsewhere would be completed in November 2011.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/stip/Final%20STIP%202010-2013%20%20Web%20Version.pdf

Thanks for the link. I had looked around the AHTD website but didn't come across what I was looking for. That's a pretty detailed list on your link.

That is great about the cable barriers- they seem to be the most cost effective safety improvements that can be made. It seems like every week or so you read about someone crossing the median with horrible results. It will be good to see it on the contract award page soon.

Yeah took Arkansas a while to catch on. But AHTD finally got the message and is going to slowly start putting them in. Some of the neighboring states already have quite a few miles up of the cable barriers.

It looks like Arkansas voters may get to vote on a couple of tax increases to pay for a $2.8 billion highway program. The tax increases would be a half cent sales tax that would end in ten years and a increase in the diesel tax of 5 cents per gallon. The sales tax would pay for a $1.8 billion bond program that would result in a 5 year highway construction phase. One of the key aims of the project would be to build a 4 lane highway grid over the state. The diesel tax would more than double the existing tax and raise around $500 million for highway maintenance. It sounds like the governor and Highway Commission both support the plan. The sales tax vote would be on the November, 2012 ballot and the diesel tax vote would be a special election next year. It should be noted that the cost to taxpayers for the $1.8 billion worth of bonds will be much more when interest is figured in.

This sounds like the state government is wasting their time again on a bond program that will not pass and would be a huge waste of taxpayer money. Building a 4 lane grid that covers the entire state is not needed - building roads to areas with declining populations is not going to revive those areas. The economic problems of the Delta region are not because the roads aren't wide enough. Raising the sales tax after all the hoopla about cutting it for groceries isn't going to gain support among many voters. Instead of spending their time on ideas that will not work the Legislature should be looking at a major reform of how transportation funding issues are handled by the state. Abolishing the Highway Commission should be first on the list of things to do and creating a funding system that sends the money to where the cars are should be second.

Looks like the 5 cent diesel tax increase that I referred to in this post will not be on the ballot after all. The trucking association paid for a poll that told them there was little chance in it passing so they have asked the governor not to put it on the ballot. The truckers are also wanting to keep the sales tax exemption on trucks and trailers that was passed in the last legislative session. It was passed in a deal where the truckers would support the 5 cent tax increase in return for the exemption. It takes some nerve to expect to keep the exemption on one hand and the tax increase not be passed on the other. I don't know what the legislature was thinking when they passed that exemption before the money was in hand to replace it.

The half cent sales tax increase will still be on the ballot but it seems very unlikley to pass either. This is part of the plan to build 4 lane roads across the state whether they are needed or not. I never understood that either- we can't maintain and improve the roads that need it now and someone wants to build new roads that aren't needed.

Yeah I saw that. Now ORT basically has to go to each Benton County city and ask for funding separately. Not sure why they wouldn't allow the voters to decide the issue.

I get the impression that because the quorum court mostly represents the rural areas of the county some members didn't think that it was a good deal for them. They knew that if they let it come to a vote it would probably pass becasue of the number of voters in the cities that would be for it. If I remember right, this same quorum court passed a resolution supporting light rail not long ago but they knew light rail wasn't likely to happen, at least not anytime soon. That was a safe vote in order to gain a progressive image and this ballot issue was here and now.

It will take Lowell, Rogers and Bentonville at least to make a Benton County ORT system work. If they don't support it and Washington County does Washington will have a leg up in attracting the residents and businesses that see a public transit system as important to have.

we can't maintain and improve the roads that need it now and someone wants to build new roads that aren't needed.

This is coming from a former Iowan that is puzzled by the AHTD...why does Arkansas have the 16th largest system of highways despite being 29th in area and 32nd in population? Look at any Arkansas county map, you will find five spare segments of numbered state highways that lead to nowhere. And why does the highway department have these "districts"...why does the delta get the same treatment as NWA? The whole department seems ineffecient and useless. I have emailed them on many occasions with various queries and the emails I get back usually say "I don't know" or "We don't really have a standard for ____" or "Its kind of arbitrary how we ____". These responses speak volumes to me. This 4-lane grid is just another solution in the same mold: they have to treat every corner of the state equally because of the district approach, when in reality no one thinks NWA and the delta are equal.

I get the impression that because the quorum court mostly represents the rural areas of the county some members didn't think that it was a good deal for them. They knew that if they let it come to a vote it would probably pass because of the number of voters in the cities that would be for it. If I remember right, this same quorum court passed a resolution supporting light rail not long ago but they knew light rail wasn't likely to happen, at least not anytime soon. That was a safe vote in order to gain a progressive image and this ballot issue was here and now.

It will take Lowell, Rogers and Bentonville at least to make a Benton County ORT system work. If they don't support it and Washington County does Washington will have a leg up in attracting the residents and businesses that see a public transit system as important to have.

Good point on this mainly focusing on rural areas of the county. While I have no problems with public transportation in rural areas. I think ORT should work more on servicing the urban areas first. But now we'll have to see how the individual cities handle it. I'm also curious to see if some cities choose to support it and others decline and how that could possibly work out.

This is coming from a former Iowan that is puzzled by the AHTD...why does Arkansas have the 16th largest system of highways despite being 29th in area and 32nd in population? Look at any Arkansas county map, you will find five spare segments of numbered state highways that lead to nowhere. And why does the highway department have these "districts"...why does the delta get the same treatment as NWA? The whole department seems inefficient and useless. I have emailed them on many occasions with various queries and the emails I get back usually say "I don't know" or "We don't really have a standard for ____" or "Its kind of arbitrary how we ____". These responses speak volumes to me. This 4-lane grid is just another solution in the same mold: they have to treat every corner of the state equally because of the district approach, when in reality no one thinks NWA and the delta are equal.

A lot of us native Arkansans are confused as well. I think this all builds on the idea that roads help 'drive' (sorry for the pun) growth and development. Arkansas has always been on the low end so it seems the state it always pushing for this. But as many of us have pointed out, it's just plain silly. We can't maintain the roads we have yet we keep wanting to add more. NWA has grown rapidly and in some aspects that's the problem. Historically the Ozarks was generally one of the 'poor' areas of the state. For most of this state's history the Delta and central Arkansas have run and controlled everything. While we keep redrawing districts for the House and Senate to make things fair, unfortunately the same doesn't happen elsewhere. The AHTD is still basically in control of people who are from areas of the state outside of NWA. And of course they're most likely to look after their areas first. A lot of this also stems from the fact that rural Arkansas has basically been in control of the state. But we're obviously becoming more urbanized just like everywhere else. But as usual we're behind and playing catch up. I think eventually AHTD and others aspects are going to have to be updated and reorganized. I wish we could do this now, but apparently it's going to take time for things to changed. I'm not sure that's there's really any way NWA can force anyone out of the AHTD and reorganize it. I"m at least thankful that from the last census, we're now considered large enough to have a little more control of some of the matters than before.

Fayetteville has begun a project to re-sign the city, replacing the "BLOCK AVE" signs with "Block Ave" (just an example, they're doing all streets). After emailing, I have found out that the city is only replacing the signs as they wear out or if they get hit by cars. A good example is on Mt Comfort Rd, which has all new signs. I like the new look more, but it will take an eternity to re-sign the city at this rate. There are still signs that from the resigning project before that!

This is coming from a former Iowan that is puzzled by the AHTD...why does Arkansas have the 16th largest system of highways despite being 29th in area and 32nd in population? Look at any Arkansas county map, you will find five spare segments of numbered state highways that lead to nowhere. And why does the highway department have these "districts"...why does the delta get the same treatment as NWA? The whole department seems ineffecient and useless. I have emailed them on many occasions with various queries and the emails I get back usually say "I don't know" or "We don't really have a standard for ____" or "Its kind of arbitrary how we ____". These responses speak volumes to me. This 4-lane grid is just another solution in the same mold: they have to treat every corner of the state equally because of the district approach, when in reality no one thinks NWA and the delta are equal.

Exactly- the Highway Commission and it's funding districts are the problem. I used to write asking why roads to nowhere had been improved when heavily used roads went without and never got a reply. Any reforms that don't include the Highway Commission will just bandaid the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Bella Vista Bypass groundbreaking today... Got to love the end of the article where they are still clueless on where 'the rest of the funding will come from'...

http://arkansasmatte.../?nxd_id=440407

I was there, and it was amazing how all the bureaucrats acted as if they had something to do with the project. You'd think LaHood was going straight back to Washington to write Arkansas a big fat check the way he talked.

I was there, and it was amazing how all the bureaucrats acted as if they had something to do with the project. You'd think LaHood was going straight back to Washington to write Arkansas a big fat check the way he talked.

I was also surprised to see this made into such a huge spectacle. I know this is the first small step towards the Bella Vista bypass. But isn't this basically the same two lane bypass road around Hiwasse that was discussed a little while ago? I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here and say there shouldn't be some hype. But to me this just seems a bit overblown for what it is.

In other transportation news. Expect more delays around the I-540 MLK intersection in Fayetteville. Going to be some lanes closures as work progresses there. Good news is that it's pretty much going to be mainly at night.

Looks like the 5 cent diesel tax increase that I referred to in this post will not be on the ballot after all. The trucking association paid for a poll that told them there was little chance in it passing so they have asked the governor not to put it on the ballot. The truckers are also wanting to keep the sales tax exemption on trucks and trailers that was passed in the last legislative session. It was passed in a deal where the truckers would support the 5 cent tax increase in return for the exemption. It takes some nerve to expect to keep the exemption on one hand and the tax increase not be passed on the other. I don't know what the legislature was thinking when they passed that exemption before the money was in hand to replace it.

The half cent sales tax increase will still be on the ballot but it seems very unlikley to pass either. This is part of the plan to build 4 lane roads across the state whether they are needed or not. I never understood that either- we can't maintain and improve the roads that need it now and someone wants to build new roads that aren't needed.

There are more developments on these highway funding issues. The governor will call a special election so that voters can decide if they want to renew the $575 million bond issue originally passed in 1999 for interstate highway repairs. It was needed badly then and still needed now. Because it would not be a new tax it seems to have a good chance of passing although a lot could happen between now and the election which hasn't be set yet.

The trucking association backed off the idea of keeping the sales tax exemption- I think it became clear to them that it would not happen and they would get a black eye image-wise for trying.

The half cent sales tax increase will still be on the Nov. 2012 ballot and seems to have little chance of passing. Between the anti-tax sentiment right now and the lack of a good plan to spend the revenue this is a waste of time and money.

• 1 month later...

Well I certainly have nothing new to report here, just a little gripe.

It was reported yesterday that construction will begin in January to widen the 20 mile stretch of interstate from Conway to Little Rock. Having spent a couple of years in Conway when I was younger, I certainly realize the need for this, but when is the state going to get serious about interstate construction in NWA?

I've been out of the area for a while so maybe I'm going overboard here, and I have read about the improvements being made at several intersections, but all I remember is the heavy traffic on an undersized interstate. And having driven each numerous times, it's every bit as bad, if not worse, than the stretch between Conway and LR and the stretch between Benton and LR prior to expansion.

Is the problem a lack of attention from the decision makers in LR or lack of a serious push from NWA leaders?

Again, this could be an overreaction, I haven't spent much time in the area recently.

I certainly agree that NWA hasn't gotten the attention it deserves when it comes to interstate funding although the rest of the state still points to I540 between Fayetteville and Alma as proof that the area has received funding. The fact that I540 was completed over a decade ago doesn't seem to enter into the discussion. Also, I think the I40 is a higher profile road because of it's cross country nature so that fact and also because that project is close to Little Rock means it will get more attention.

Hopefully, with the political balance shifting more to the urban areas of the state and the fact that NWA has picked up some seats in the state legislature it means that the area will have more say in future highway funding. The only downside is that the State Highway Commission and it's antiquated district-based funding mechanism is still in place. Until that changes the money will not go where to the need is greatest but to where politics says it will go.

Another factor is that federal money for highway improvements is probably going to dry up and any funding will have to come from local sources for years to come. It will be interesting to see if NWA is willing to tax itself in order to fund better roads.

Yeah I might also point out that the Little Rock is a bigger metro and also the capitol of the state so it's got more pull. I am familiar with that stretch of I-40. I certainly can't argue that they don't need an extra lane there. But I've got to admit I wish I-540 would at least get a little more consideration as well. As zman pointed out, I-540 is a much more recent development and I think some tend to overlook it because of that.

I still can't quote with this software, but I agree with Mith.

Although I think 540 definitely needs improvements and widening, I disagree that it is worse than the stretch between Conway and North Little Rock, but not because 540's not just as, if not more, overloaded. 540 is busy most of the time, but doesn't shut down during the commute hours quite like 40 does. That stretch turns into crawling gridlock during the morning and evening "rushes" and what should be a 20 minute drive has taken me over an hour on several occasions. 540 from Fayetteville to Rogers does get pretty bad during the rush times too, but I've never had it take me as much longer to get from Fayetteville to Rogers as it has from NLR to Conway. I wish I had time/traffic load data, because just based off observation, I would think that 540 is more consistently busy than 40, but 40 has worse load peaks in the morning and evening. The other (probably more important) consideration is that 40 is a major interstate freight route. I can't think of any part of 40 in Arkansas that isn't normally quite busy and most sections could justify an extra lane based off the average traffic alone, but when a 20+ mile section of it essentially comes to a crawl for a couple/few hours a day, that has a significant impact on the truck traffic as well. I imagine that the shipping companies have made noise about I-40 needing widened along with the commuters, and I don't doubt that the highway department pays more attention to it for that reason.

Having lived in both areas now, I think the state has their work cut out for them with our interstates. Most of the interstates in Little Rock need serious improvements and 630, 30, 430, and although not an actual interstate 67/167 get very congested during peak times, but are also always pretty busy just during regular hours. They finally got the 630/430 project underway (apparently it has been needed for 15-20 years, but it's a big project and finding money was difficult), but the 630/30 is just as bad a bottleneck if not worse (and just a bad general design) and the 30/40, 430/40, and 30/530/440 interchanges all need improvements for the traffic they carry. In Northwest Arkansas, 540 also has design issued that need major reworking- the 540/Fulbright Expressway interchange is a mess as is the Fulbright Expressway/71 joining. They finally made some progress with some of the worst/most dangerous interchanges in Fayetteville, but there's still work to be done there, and I don't think there's any doubt that it needs to be widened in most places, probably along the entire length from Fayetteville to Rogers, but certainly within each of the major cities on its route. I just think if it took them that long to get funding for one of the one of the busiest interchanges in the state (630/30 and 30/40 are higher count), we're going to be waiting until things are a lot worse before 540 gets the widening it needs, or LR gets some of the interchange improvements it needs.

Traffic count comparisons give some good insight into how the roads compare to each other- at its busiest points, I-540 in NWA has 58,000-70,000 cars per day on a 4 lane interstate- 17,500 average per lane if you use the worst points. I-630 at it's busiest points has 109,000-116,000 cars on a 6 lane road- 19,333 per lane. I-30 has 91,000 to 124,000 on a 6 lane- 20,667 per lane. I-40's count is comparable to 540. I-430 and 67/167 are a bit higher load than 540, but also have more lanes so I'd consider them in better shape overall.

That's probably a good assessment. Both I-540 and that stretch of I-40 are both very bad. I'd also have to say that during rush hour that stretch of I-40 is worse. But I do seem to have more problems with traffic on I-540 during non peak hours as compared to that stretch of I-40. Another point to make is that I-40 is also a major interstate corridor as well. Probably another reason why I-40 might have an easier time getting some funding compared to I-540.

They finally made some progress with some of the worst/most dangerous interchanges in Fayetteville, but there's still work to be done there, and I don't think there's any doubt that it needs to be widened in most places, probably along the entire length from Fayetteville to Rogers, but certainly within each of the major cities on its route.

The argument can be made that if you remove the trucks with a Western Bypass the four lane facility becomes more manageable. Removing trucks would help with wearing the pavement of I-540/US 71 as well, since a single 18-wheeler does the damage of 9600 cars. I have looked at the projections from the NWARPC through 2030 and such and they project ridiculous overloads in some areas. With the completion of I-49, more trucks yet will be using I-540/US 71 and the problem will worsen without a facility to remove the through traffic. (Yes I already know the funding isn't there, but its what NWA needs)

Edited by iowhogs

I have to respectfully disagree- the western bypass idea is a horrible non-solution to a non-existant problem. I540's congestion problems are not because of through traffic but because of local traffic due to NWA's configuration. The metro is a series of small cities strung out along a narrow corridor and I540 is the only limited access freeway serving that area. The western bypass would do nothing to solve the I540 congestion and would create an urban sprawl problem that would dwarf what we have now. Imnproving I540 with additional lanes and better interchanges is what is needed.

I49 as a major north-south interstate is a pipe dream that has little chance of becoming a reality. If one looks at a national map one can see that the highway would not lead to a major destination for freight or travelers. The likely choice for future traffic is US69 through OK leading to Tx. and Mexico. That route is already heavily used and has seen many improvements over the last few years.

The western bypass is being strongly promoted by investors who have bought land around the XNA airport and have seen their investments languish due to the lack of development in that area. Taxpayer funds should not be used to rescue their bad investments- any money available should be used to improve I540 and benefit the entire area population.

I49 as a major north-south interstate is a pipe dream that has little chance of becoming a reality. If one looks at a national map one can see that the highway would not lead to a major destination for freight or travelers. The likely choice for future traffic is US69 through OK leading to Tx. and Mexico. That route is already heavily used and has seen many improvements over the last few years.

US 71 in Missouri is essentially to interstate standards and KDOT has stated that US 71 in Missouri is "20 to 30 years ahead of US 69" and they intend to keep it that way because US 71 has already been anointed as High Priority Corridor #1 in Washington (aka I-49). The term "High Priority Corridor" generally indicates it's not a "pipe dream". MoDOT doesn't consider it a "pipe dream" either considering the millions of dollars they have pumped into upgrading the road even if it only leads to "non major destinations".

Truck percentages (from 2008, thanks to the "up-to-date" AHTD) along US 71 in West Arkansas shows 30%+ of traffic is trucks. That's a lot of shipping to "non major destinations" such as I-44, Kansas City, I-29, etc.

It is the 180 mile section between Texarkana and Fort Smith that I believe is a pipe dream. Arkansas hasn't been able to come up with the money to build the Bella Vista bypass and that is a very small project compared to the 180 mile road. The bridge over the Arkansas River alone will cost several times more than the Bella Vista construction. In this time of budget deficits and a huge federal debt there is little chance of the federal government funding I49 through Arkansas.

Highway 69 is used now by traffic from US71 in Missouri- they simply cut over on I44 to connect to it. 69 is also being improved through Oklahoma and will be described as a much cheaper and already built alternative to I49.