Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

I know they are building it so that you don't have to go through the roundabout if you are turning right off of the expressway exit onto Futrall- that should help traffic flow a lot. I didn't see anything widening going all the way to Gregg though.

I hadn't seen anything before either. But I listened to Ozarks At Large earlier in the week where they stated that bit of info.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Work is coming along pretty well on the additional lanes on I-540 in Fayetteville. I admit I've avoided that partocular stretch for a while. Got to say I sorta thought they were going to take the easy route and simply out the third lanes on the outside where the entrance/exits are for that part of I-540. The entrance/exits for the MLK interchange extend out quite a way. So I thought this was going to be a very short project. But they put the third lanes on the inside and they do appear to extend all the way from MLK to Wedington. With the concrete barrier, it will make that particular stretch seem more like a true urban interstate.

That widening approach worked for that section but when they get to the bridge sections it will but much more expensive to do. I sure hope the sales tax issue passes in Nov. so the widening can continue

Work is coming along pretty well on the additional lanes on I-540 in Fayetteville. I admit I've avoided that partocular stretch for a while. Got to say I sorta thought they were going to take the easy route and simply out the third lanes on the outside where the entrance/exits are for that part of I-540. The entrance/exits for the MLK interchange extend out quite a way. So I thought this was going to be a very short project. But they put the third lanes on the inside and they do appear to extend all the way from MLK to Wedington. With the concrete barrier, it will make that particular stretch seem more like a true urban interstate.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't actually been by it yet to see for myself. But sounds like construction on the third lane between MLK and Wedington on I-540 is now complete. In fact it's been completed about three weeks early. Depending on the voting later this Fall, maybe we can look forward to more sections of I-540 being widened.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are getting closer to the chance for state residents to provide a huge boost to improving the roads in the state. The sales tax request is actually being voted on now in early voting- I voted YES for Ballot Issue 1. This request will NOT affect groceries, medicine or gasoline- it WILL provide $1.3 billion for vital highway improvements statewide. NWA will see a widened I540 through the metro, completion of a 2 lane Bella Vista bypass and a section of the North Springdale bypass connecting to an access road to XNA airport. For anyone who has complained about the traffic in NWA here is a chance to do something about it. The improvements that the Ballot Issue 1 are needed even if the alternative transportation measures some want are enacted. For NWA to continue to prosper Ballot Issue 1 is essential.

We are getting closer to the chance for state residents to provide a huge boost to improving the roads in the state. The sales tax request is actually being voted on now in early voting- I voted YES for Ballot Issue 1. This request will NOT affect groceries, medicine or gasoline- it WILL provide $1.3 billion for vital highway improvements statewide. NWA will see a widened I540 through the metro, completion of a 2 lane Bella Vista bypass and a section of the North Springdale bypass connecting to an access road to XNA airport. For anyone who has complained about the traffic in NWA here is a chance to do something about it. The improvements that the Ballot Issue 1 are needed even if the alternative transportation measures some want are enacted. For NWA to continue to prosper Ballot Issue 1 is essential.

For me the only real negative about the issue is I believe some of the money will be used for the issue of trying to link all the cities of 10,000 (or maybe 5,000) with 4 lane highways. But if you want statewide support, you have to provide something other than just something mainly to NWA and central Arkansas. If we want to ever see some of these road projects in NWA done anytime in the near future, perhaps in our lifetimes, this seems to be the best way to bring that about. So I'm also in favor of this ballot as well.

The turnback money to the counties and cities can be used for public transit if those entities choose to to that.

There are several aspects of transportation funding in the state that I don't like and even some of the parts of this plan but it does seem to be the best chance to raise money for major projects in the state and especially NWA. The 2 county area will actually get more money out than we pay in

• 3 weeks later...

The sales tax issue passed easily. I wonder what the construction schedule will look like? It seems reasonable that continuing the work on I540 from Wedington north would be the place to start in NWA. Hopefully now that the money is coming the Highway Department will keep the public fully informed on the plans. I think a webpage like they used to promote the sales tax with would be helpful. A list of the projects and the progress on each would be very helpful.

The "flyover" between N. College and I-540 will start construction in January of next year. This will have a huge impact on new development near the south side of Steele Crossing, plus relieving pressure at the left turn lanes of Joyce and College.

This is great news and a long time in coming. Now planning for an extension connecting eastbound Fulbright to Vantage Drive/ East Joyce Blvd needs to be started. This path would elminate the dangerous traffic that has to cross over 3 lanes of North College in a very short distance to access Joyce going east. Edited by zman9810

The "flyover" between N. College and I-540 will start construction in January of next year. This will have a huge impact on new development near the south side of Steele Crossing, plus relieving pressure at the left turn lanes of Joyce and College.

Very good news! This should also help the restaurants in that area. Making them much more accessable.

This is great. It's been fun watching these upgrades beginning to happen. I remember just a few years ago when the population was really exploding, everyone on the board predicted this correctly - the population growth would slow for a while and the infrastructure would catch up. While these projects are needed, they also really help give the area more of an urban feel. Better interstates, flyovers, etc., and the area will be in prime position for another wave when we experience our next big economic upswing.

The sales tax issue passed easily. I wonder what the construction schedule will look like? It seems reasonable that continuing the work on I540 from Wedington north would be the place to start in NWA. Hopefully now that the money is coming the Highway Department will keep the public fully informed on the plans. I think a webpage like they used to promote the sales tax with would be helpful. A list of the projects and the progress on each would be very helpful.

I agree a webpage would be nice. As far as widening goes for I-540 I'm betting they'll jump up to Benton County. I know it's been a while since the last study, but I'm pretty sure it showed most of I-540 in Benton County needs to be widened. Even to eight lanes in some areas. But I was thinking that same study showed only some sections of I-540 needed to be widened. I think the AHTD picked that one section in Fayetteville because it would be relatively quick and easy to do. But as I said, that study was done a while back. Not sure if they'd consider another one at this point or simply follow that study then see how things play out. But even if I'm mistaken about the Fayetteville section I wouldn't be surprised if they still wouldn't just jump up to Benton County and work their way south.

This is great news and a long time in coming. Now planning for an extension connecting eastbound Fulbright to Vantage Drive/ East Joyce Blvd needs to be started. This path would elminate the dangerous traffic that has to cross over 3 lanes of North College in a very short distance to access Joyce going east.

True, although if there's one silver lining is that you'll have a little less traffic because the flyover will have diverted some of that traffic away.

Very good news! This should also help the restaurants in that area. Making them much more accessable.

It would also be nice if they would ever connect Van Asche (I think it's still called Van Asche over by Red Robin) up to N Shiloh.

This is great. It's been fun watching these upgrades beginning to happen. I remember just a few years ago when the population was really exploding, everyone on the board predicted this correctly - the population growth would slow for a while and the infrastructure would catch up. While these projects are needed, they also really help give the area more of an urban feel. Better interstates, flyovers, etc., and the area will be in prime position for another wave when we experience our next big economic upswing.

Yeah if we can just keep the work on the infrastructure coming. But for now things do seem to be moving in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

In the paper the other day, Jordan was quoted as saying that we expect to spend the bulk of our $1.6 million windfall from the recent tax renewal for roads on trail construction next year. The remainder is going to for sidewalks.

He was also quoted as saying improvements to College Avenue north of North Street are a priority.

Any thoughts on that?

$1.6 milion will go a long way for trails and sidewalks but not much for improving College. If the city can get matching grants to go along with the trail money it will be a big boost for trail construction. Hopefully it will mean less at-grade trail crossings of multi-lane roads in the city.

I think the improvements to College Avenue that were done previously between Rock and Maple cost less than $1 million. They aren't significant, though, and north of North Street just seems like it will cost more to make any real difference. The city's share is something like $1.6 to $1.8 per year, basically new money they weren't getting before. I could see some kind of similar improvements from North Street to Township costing something like $5 million. Perhaps it will be something phased in over a few years. I just found it interesting because its the first talk of College Avenue improvements I've heard from Jordan.

Edited by wmr

Yeah I've got to agree. I think $1.6 Mil will mean more for the trails and sidewalks than College Ave. But maybe they could do it in phases. But I wonder if it's not going to be harder to make improvements north of North St. Over all I don't think the sections of College Ave they've already done work on looked horrible beforehand.

Now that we have even higher sales taxes for roads (still don't know why they didn't just raise the fuel taxes. Buy fuel to use on roads so that should pay for the roads....) any chance we can get the state to re-work the funding formula? I love driving in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas b/c you see no cars and have some of the best roads to drive on.

I now live in Bentonville and work in Farmington. It is amazing how much traffic there is on 540. It reminds me of living in Little Rock and Seattle. Backed up for 30+ miles. For everyone who travels North in the morning and South in the evening without someone to drive you then I am sorry. This is the second time in my life I have had a commute longer than 5 minutes. It would drive me insane if I had the stop and go the whole way. Basically I am trying to say that we need to come up with a way to widen 540 to 8 lanes and create appropriate interchanges.

Now that we have even higher sales taxes for roads (still don't know why they didn't just raise the fuel taxes. Buy fuel to use on roads so that should pay for the roads....) any chance we can get the state to re-work the funding formula? I love driving in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas b/c you see no cars and have some of the best roads to drive on.

I now live in Bentonville and work in Farmington. It is amazing how much traffic there is on 540. It reminds me of living in Little Rock and Seattle. Backed up for 30+ miles. For everyone who travels North in the morning and South in the evening without someone to drive you then I am sorry. This is the second time in my life I have had a commute longer than 5 minutes. It would drive me insane if I had the stop and go the whole way. Basically I am trying to say that we need to come up with a way to widen 540 to 8 lanes and create appropriate interchanges.

Pretty sure they'll be widening I-540 since the tax issue passed and I'm pretty sure it will be a priority.  I think the only question is are they going to go off the study they did a number of years ago or perhaps do another study.  I need to look and see if I can find the old study.  But I believe it had widening all of I-540 in Benton County to 6 and even some 8 lanes.  But seems like the widening in Washington County being more limited.  If I remember correctly some sections widened to 6 lanes around Springdale and Fayetteville.  But perhaps not everything in the Springdale/Fayetteville area.  Could be wrong on that, but just seems like like they weren't talking about widening every section in the metro area, just most of it.

I now live in Bentonville and work in Farmington. It is amazing how much traffic there is on 540. It reminds me of living in Little Rock and Seattle.

In my experience Seattle's far and away worse, whether I5, 405, 99, etc.  Rush hour slowdowns are the norm there, here they are the exception.

Seattle's also another example that widening alone is no solution.

Okay I finally looked up the 2006 study that was done for I-540.  Good thing, since my memory was wrong.  They've already widened the section between MLK and Wedington to 6 lanes.  From Wedington to Garland it's recommended to be widened to 8 lanes.  Then basically 6 lanes from there up to Hwy 412 in Springdale.  Then basically up to 8 lanes from Hwy 412 to Hwy 62 in Rogers.  Then 6 lanes from Hwy 62 to Bentonville.  Although many of the interchange bridges in most of those 8 lane areas will actually only be 6 lane.  So some of those outside lanes will be exit only as you come up to many of those interchanges.  For those wanting to take a closer look themselves.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/statewide_planning/Studies/1-11-105%20I-540%20Improvement%20Study.pdf