Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Walton and 8th street infront of Wal-Mart HQ is pretty busy too. It's in the top 10 busiest in Arkansas I think.

They really need to add double turn lanes at that intersection. I know they are spending $35 Million on 8th street to make it 5 lanes and connect it to the Interstate, but double turn lanes need to be added on that intersection. So many people turn right or left onto 8th street there to get to Wal-Mart o

This is one of a number of intersections that need to be upgraded considerably.

Yeah Walton and 8th is another one I've heard about. Although I don't think I've actually been there as far as I know.

Looked like we had a visitor who was writing a response to this topic but I don't see him or his reponse here. Thought we might have attracted some attraction. I don't think many of the moderators visit our forum very much. I have had one e-mail me to tell me my signature was too big twice. The only times it was noticed though was when I was posting more often in other areas, when the Arkansas forum was going through some slow times. I'm still hoping our Arkansas forum moderator makes a visit and adds a post. :D Although I guess it's nice to know we haven't caused too many problems and have had to have moderators come by and 'straighten' us out.

Sorry I ruined the streak.:P I saw him in here and thought wow we got a moderator. Hopefully he will make a visit and a post. Sometimes I feel that this forum is just between a few people and not a whole bunch like some of the other forums.

But back to transportation, 45th Street and Walnut needs to have double turn lanes in my opinion. Since it is right by Scottsdale Center and another Intersection with the Interstate, more people need to get off the Interstate to their destination.

Edited by mcheiss

Sorry I ruined the streak.:P I saw him in here and thought wow we got a moderator. Hopefully he will make a visit and a post. Sometimes I feel that this forum is just between a few people and not a whole bunch like some of the other forums.

But back to transportation, 45th Street and Walnut needs to have double turn lanes in my opinion. Since it is right by Scottsdale Center and another Intersection with the Interstate, more people need to get off the Interstate to their destination.

Not everyone posts but I have seen other people who tend to post on other forums looking around. I look around some of the other forums too and don't always have much to say because I'm not too familiar with their area. I'm sure the same is true of other people. Considering this forum started in June I think we've done pretty well. I think we've attracted some attention because of it, even if it's not the moderators.

You have. The Arkansas forum will pick up in time. A little over two years ago we only had 32 members total on the forum.

Ah, there he is :D Glad to see you around. I guess I hadn't realized how quickly this website has grown. And I can't complain about the Arkansas forum. I think we've done pretty good for such a small state that's not exactly known for being urban.

Edited by Mith242

I just finish reading an article about the proposed Light Rail system in NW Arkansas, and NW Arkansas is one of 190 communities in the nation considering a light rail system.

Oh yeah this reminds me of when I was on vacation. It sounds like they are planning a light rail system around the Albuquerque-Santa Fe area. Although that will be a bit of a different system than what might happen around here. Not only would it be used all around Albuquerque, which is a decent sized city, probably twice the size of the Little Rock metro. But it would also extend northeast over towards Santa Fe. Which also makes good sense. Santa Fe is the big tourist mecca over there. You also get a lot of foreign tourists who go to check out the American southwest. But many people travel to Albuquerque and then travel on to Santa Fe usually having to rent a car. It's getting to where they are having to consider having a six lane interstate between Albuquerque and Santa Fe already. But anyway I was curious to hear about this and other areas also looking in light rail. Considering it's possibility in our area.

I'll ask this to everyone in the forum.

What are your thoughts on the Light Rail System in NW Arkansas?

My thoughts are that I would love to see something like this, but the current plan needs to be scaled back so that millions of tax dollars are not wasted on completing a route all the way out to Centerton and XNA. The time is now to start building on one if one is ever going to be needed. So I guess I support it and think that it would add more urban feel projects in NW Arkansas along the route.

I know we got started on this earlier, but I didn't get to hear everone's true thoughts on the issue.

I'll ask this to everyone in the forum.

What are your thoughts on the Light Rail System in NW Arkansas?

My thoughts are that I would love to see something like this, but the current plan needs to be scaled back so that millions of tax dollars are not wasted on completing a route all the way out to Centerton and XNA. The time is now to start building on one if one is ever going to be needed. So I guess I support it and think that it would add more urban feel projects in NW Arkansas along the route.

I know we got started on this earlier, but I didn't get to hear everone's true thoughts on the issue.

I think this was discussed in a topic by the older Arkansas forumers. I believe Johnny and I really liked the idea, although were cautious about it being a risky project. I think just about everyone else at the time thought it wasn't worth the risk or money. I don't know if people might change their minds if it were scaled back and such. I'd also cut out the Greenland stop, at least for the time being. Not that it would save a huge amount of money right there, but it might help cut it down some more.

What about the route to XNA and Centerton?

Don't get me wrong about the airport or anything, I just think that people rely to much on rental cars or their own cars for that matter. Also with Centerton, it's only still emerging as a bedroom community for NW Arkansas. All that is out there is Walmart Families and Vendors. I just wouldn't see that route being effective because most of them would probably rely on their cars.

What about the route to XNA and Centerton?

Don't get me wrong about the airport or anything, I just think that people rely to much on rental cars or their own cars for that matter. Also with Centerton, it's only still emerging as a bedroom community for NW Arkansas. All that is out there is Walmart Families and Vendors. I just wouldn't see that route being effective because most of them would probably rely on their cars.

I wouldn't having a route over to Centerton also if it was going to be beuilt. But I'm like you. I'd prefer a scaled down version of the light rail system. At the beginning cut out Greenland and cut out the loop over to XNA. I think sticking with the Fayetteville to Rogers would be good for the beginning. Wait and see how successful that is. If it works out well then worry about adding more to it.

I wouldn't having a route over to Centerton also if it was going to be beuilt. But I'm like you. I'd prefer a scaled down version of the light rail system. At the beginning cut out Greenland and cut out the loop over to XNA. I think sticking with the Fayetteville to Rogers would be good for the beginning. Wait and see how successful that is. If it works out well then worry about adding more to it.

Yeah, especially with the project being so big right now, you worry about the urban projects that will follow. If it's so big, than projects may be spread out all over, and an urban core may never form. But if you stick to the existing Arkansas Missouri Railroad, Devleopers have a centralized line where coordinated Urban development can follow.

Then, in the future, as more people live in places like Centerton, Greenland, and XNA, then I could see the expansion coming.

Yeah, especially with the project being so big right now, you worry about the urban projects that will follow. If it's so big, than projects may be spread out all over, and an urban core may never form. But if you stick to the existing Arkansas Missouri Railroad, Devleopers have a centralized line where coordinated Urban development can follow.

Then, in the future, as more people live in places like Centerton, Greenland, and XNA, then I could see the expansion coming.

I agree, and if it doesn't end up being a big hit, then you haven't wasted so much with a scaled down project.

I agree. More people would support the project, and more money would be able to fix highway nightmares up here.

Yeah that's my only worry or complaint really about the light rail. Is it better to spend the money on road projects that you know are going to be used? But I'd still really like to provide an alternative to simply everyone going everywhere in their vehicles. Maybe I've been affected by living in Fayetteville all these years. :D

Yeah that's my only worry or complaint really about the light rail. Is it better to spend the money on road projects that you know are going to be used? But I'd still really like to provide an alternative to simply everyone going everywhere in their vehicles. Maybe I've been affected by living in Fayetteville all these years. :D

It would be nice to tout around about having something like regionwide bus service and a light rail.

So tell me, anyone any improvement in transportation that you would like to see in your city?

Whether it be large or small.

Another aspect I'd like to see happen is for Fayetteville to become more bike friendly. the Scull Creek trail system will be great when it's finished but I'd like to see more than that. Visiting cities out west like Albuquerque I've been surprised how many streets have bike lanes. Even large major roads that easily compare to College Ave here. Honestly I'm not that big of a bike person myself, but I'd like to see options for people. I know it's mainly because this is a liberal college town, but I actually know people who refuse to own an automobile.

Yeah, when I traveled through Denver, I saw many bike only lanes in Aurora and Englewood. That's an idea that should be taken a lot more seriously.

Rogers has started on it's trail system that incompasses almost all of the city parks along with greenway projects planned out to Pleasant Crossing. It really is nice up here to see them start thinking of many ways to use land. I hope it really takes off though.

Yeah, when I traveled through Denver, I saw many bike only lanes in Aurora and Englewood. That's an idea that should be taken a lot more seriously.

Rogers has started on it's trail system that incompasses almost all of the city parks along with greenway projects planned out to Pleasant Crossing. It really is nice up here to see them start thinking of many ways to use land. I hope it really takes off though.

That's good to hear, I wasn't sure if cities outside of Fayetteville would embrace it as much as Fayetteville might.

Yeah, Bentonville's trail system is also coming along, with the Bella Vista Lake Trail also planned to connect with it. Bentonville actually started a system with ride-a-bike in the city. Residents can simply pick up a bike along a bike trail, ride the bike and drop it off when necessary. Obviously they are painted so if someone tries to steal it, they won't be able to pawn it or something like that. Yet, people have been stealing some of these bikes. The bikes are lost bikes that the city picks up, and the residents are allowed to rent them for free.

I bet Fayetteville would be a lot more successful at this program than Bentonville.

Yeah, Bentonville's trail system is also coming along, with the Bella Vista Lake Trail also planned to connect with it. Bentonville actually started a system with ride-a-bike in the city. Residents can simply pick up a bike along a bike trail, ride the bike and drop it off when necessary. Obviously they are painted so if someone tries to steal it, they won't be able to pawn it or something like that. Yet, people have been stealing some of these bikes. The bikes are lost bikes that the city picks up, and the residents are allowed to rent them for free.

I bet Fayetteville would be a lot more successful at this program than Bentonville.

I have heard about Bentonville's plan. But the last I heard they were still having problems with people stealing them. I imagine Fayetteville is keeping an eye of this and waiting to see how things turn out before they join in. I have been wondering if many of these trails or green spaces were mainly recreational. Fayetteville's is recreational but they are also trying to make them alternatives to people who don't want to have to drive their vehicle everywhere they go. I think Fayetteville has been making efforts to not have them just anywhere but connecting particular areas of the city.