Holland, Michigan

PBJ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a condo in Sarasota. It's not that bad, and could be worse. It'll be interesting to see the revised design.

I keep hearing the term "boutique hotel", and not really understanding what that entails, I finally looked it up (for anyone else curious):

Boutique hotel definition

Are there chain boutiques, or are they mainly independent?

The design does look nice, what little we can see of it, but yes it is compltetly out of character for Holland. I could see it going into the fringes of the downtown environment, or a new business area, in which case it could create a new style for a new area. I remember there was a road leading north i believe out of downtown that was mostly industrial... had bridge work going on a year ago. If that area gets turned commercial/mixed-use, I think the hotel could possibly help spark development along there without destroying character. It would actually be cool to see a bit of classica on one side, and a more contemporary look on the other.

The design does look nice, what little we can see of it, but yes it is compltetly out of character for Holland. I could see it going into the fringes of the downtown environment, or a new business area, in which case it could create a new style for a new area. I remember there was a road leading north i believe out of downtown that was mostly industrial... had bridge work going on a year ago. If that area gets turned commercial/mixed-use, I think the hotel could possibly help spark development along there without destroying character. It would actually be cool to see a bit of classica on one side, and a more contemporary look on the other.

Holland, Big City Feel, I'm not so sure....

I had a reasonably positive attitude towards Holland, thought its shopping district was rather quaint etc., until a recent experience there.

I was walking down the main street (I believe it is 8th street), crossing the road, when someone from a car passing by yelled: "Go worship cows somewhere else!" at me. I'm an American of Asian-Indian descent, so the remark was obviously directed towards me. (The ironic thing is that I'm a Christian!)

I have to say that as long as people in west-MI remain so closed minded, places like Holland will remain a small town, with small-minded people, and not a feel like a big city at all (at least to any one who knows what real big cities are like.)

As much as I like the micro-brew on 8th street, I'm not too keen on going back there.

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but I wonder what you all think...

Aye carumba! Cow worshipping??? Hopefully it was just a young punk and not a 40 year old mom with her kids in the car. They're not all that way, but it does permeate a bit.

I took the big city tagline off. I think the original post was Baker Lofts, Big city feel on the lakeshore, but it kind of morphed into a general Holland thread.

Holland, Big City Feel, I'm not so sure....

I had a reasonably positive attitude towards Holland, thought its shopping district was rather quaint etc., until a recent experience there.

I was walking down the main street (I believe it is 8th street), crossing the road, when someone from a car passing by yelled: "Go worship cows somewhere else!" at me. I'm an American of Asian-Indian descent, so the remark was obviously directed towards me. (The ironic thing is that I'm a Christian!)

I have to say that as long as people in west-MI remain so closed minded, places like Holland will remain a small town, with small-minded people, and not a feel like a big city at all (at least to any one who knows what real big cities are like.)

As much as I like the micro-brew on 8th street, I'm not too keen on going back there.

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but I wonder what you all think...

Thanks to all who shared their feelings. I do know people who live in Holland who are perfectly nice and hospitable towards everyone.

However, it wouldn't have bothered me as much if it came from a group of teenage, or even college age kids - I would have written it off as mere immaturity.

The funny, or rather sad, part about it is it was a fairly young woman, well dressed, and driving a well-kept mini-van who yelled this. (There may have been a baby/kid in the back, but we couldn't be sure.)

You're right in saying that I can't judge a city based on one person alone. But, given her age and other characteristics, one wonders whether she is, in fact, representative of the larger population, and not merely an exception.

• 2 years later...

Archived