Downtown Grocery Store

HubCity

I think that with the increased residential growth downtown, there could be a need for a grocery store in the area. If you have been to the Vista in Columbia lately, you have seen a great example of this. Publix worked with the city and transformed the old Confederate Printing Plant on the corner of Gervais and Huger into a really nice place. The building looks awesome. I think it was great how the two worked together to save such a historic building. It would be nice to see our city leaders step up and do something similar in town.

Oh, the won a national award for the revamping of the building.

Anyways, just a thought about some future development.

(BTW, Hub-City... I'm changing the name, sorry for posting with it again.)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised there isn't a drugstore in downtown already. It will become a necessity with more people coming and staying there.

A Publix would certainly be the best of the possible grocery stores mentioned for downtown. I love their customer service and choice of products. No "carding" is also a breath of fresh air these days. Where would you all like to see one locate in downtown? :)

There is a drug store downtown on Main St. Its called Smith Drugs. They have a second location on Henry St. Its not a chain, its a locally owned store.

I woud love to see a grovery store downtown, but the only store I trust to build one that I like is Publix. They have a great track-record for building urban stores (i.e. the Publix in the Vista in Columbia).

There are several places that I woud like to see a store. A great place would be near or in the Renaissance Park tract. There is alot of potential for higher density residential there.

It might be more beneficial to locate closer to Converse Heights, it being one of the more affluent neighborhods around downtown. I am assuming Hampton Heights is seeing an improvent there though.

Think about this though, what are the neighborhoods around downtown? These would be the primary customers in addition to some workers who go on the way home. Maybe some college students too. So in reality it needs to be on a major thoroughfare. The Publix in Columbia is on Huger & Gervais, which is a major intersection, but it does not face the road, it faces the back of the lot, and is generally more pedestrian friendly because of that.

So think about these kinds of places around downtown. I'm sure something would stick out. There used to be a Community Cash on Pine & Kennedy (more recently Express Music, now demolished for Arbys).

The old Evans Office Supply might be a good location for an Urban Publix, though there is not much residential near by, nor is it a major road.

What really needs to happen is this: Spartanburg needs to get with it. There needs to be housing going up downtown all over. Eventually there will be some clustering around certain areas (maybe if we had a cool park) which would then facilitate theneed for a grocery store. Right now its mostly businesses. I think we have something like 180 - 200 units downtown total. There will need to be quite a few more than that to lure a grocery store into the mix.

I have one last idea- move the county admin offices to a new tower downtown, and use that building for a large grocery store.

Spartanburg's downtown is in need of a supermarket. A second Publix in Spartanburg would be nice. If it was slightly larger than their downtown Columbia store, had an in-store pharmacy, some accompanying retail and residences, and an adjacent parking garage with carts-on escalators, it would do well.

Skyliner, Publix has had a Upromise Save for College card for some time.

I totally agree about the grocery/drug store downtown. My concern is that right now, the city is putting a lot of eggs in the Southside grocery store soon to be announced. (we hope) That store will be on South Church and only be 1/2-1 mile fron the CBD. Will that hamper any effort to get one right downtown?

Speaking of drugstores - sounds like CVS will be one of the first tenants in the old K-Mart space on Garner road. With the Eckerds right there, you knew it would be coming.

Spartanburg's downtown is in need of a supermarket. A second Publix in Spartanburg would be nice. If it was slightly larger than their downtown Columbia store, had an in-store pharmacy, some accompanying retail and residences, and an adjacent parking garage with carts-on escalators, it would do well.

Skyliner, Publix has had a Upromise Save for College card for some time.

It wouldn't be. The one in downtown Columbia is the same layout as the one on Rosewood, so I am assuming that it is their standerd interior design for 'urban' stores. I shopped ateach of these stores for many years, and I can tel lyou that they more than meet the average shoppers needs. They might not have a few specific items or specific brand names, but I rarely found that to be an issue. The sheer convenice of the store's location more than made up for any lack of products.

I totally agree about the grocery/drug store downtown. My concern is that right now, the city is putting a lot of eggs in the Southside grocery store soon to be announced. (we hope) That store will be on South Church and only be 1/2-1 mile fron the CBD. Will that hamper any effort to get one right downtown?

Speaking of drugstores - sounds like CVS will be one of the first tenants in the old K-Mart space on Garner road. With the Eckerds right there, you knew it would be coming.

Great. Is there any word on what else will go in that project?

All we need now is Walgreens to make the drugstore trifecta. :silly:

Archived