Old Convention Center demolition process to begin next week

willrusso

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently, there is no parking deck--it's to be built beneath the old CC. The plans are being developed now I think for an underground deck--it will serve the new conv center, PE Ctr, and site 1 development.

There is an existing underground parking deck under the plaza in front of the current CC, in between Hannover 1 and 2. AS I understand it, that one will be linked to the new deck that will be built under the new hotel and Site 1.

There is an existing underground parking deck under the plaza in front of the current CC, in between Hannover 1 and 2. AS I understand it, that one will be linked to the new deck that will be built under the new hotel and Site 1.

The new parking deck will be built underneath the old Conv. Center. It will be the City's and will not link up with the current underground deck underneath the Hanover Block. The new deck will be built in 2 phases. The first section to be built will be underneath the future hotel. This will be connected to the new Convention Center, so the construction will be taking place simultaneously. The second phase will be underneath the possible office project on the Wilmington St. side. This phase isn't scheduled to begin for a couple of years, but it could always get moved up if the Davis project gets put on the fast track.

Maybe if it's at a good time we can view it from the 15th floor patio/veranda of The Bank of America Building formerly the Hannover one building. I have a connection there.

That would be really sweet...but I don't know if I would want to be that close. Screw it ...you only get one chance like that...count me in Tay

I think I'll videotape it and take stills from the Capitol. ..that is if I can get out of my teach-a-bunch-of-preschoolers-how-to-brush-session. The thing that worries me about setting up in front of PE Center is that the construction wall and pile of debris might obscure the view of the Capitol from down there. Of course, I'll be shooting into the sun, most likely, which stinks.

An update on when this place is going to get blown up:

Sunday the 19th @ 7am

If you can't make it, I believe the media is planning on covering this pretty heavy, so it will be on TV for sure all day Sunday.

I just wanted to confirm this info as being correct. I just got the official notice that all Two Hannover Square people got. (I posted it at raleighing.)

I think they are downplaying this to prevent a large turnout of spectators. This city is notorious for preventing people from having a good time.

The BB&T building management company told us they are just going to lower the roof.

Anyone know what they dug up across from the main convention center dig? It looks like a base to some sort of siloh. Might be neat to work it in to the plan. Thanks.

Archived