Old Convention Center demolition process to begin next week

willrusso

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BB&T building management company told us they are just going to lower the roof.

Anyone know what they dug up across from the main convention center dig? It looks like a base to some sort of siloh. Might be neat to work it in to the plan. Thanks.

Dunno. Maybe an old underground storage tank containment? They're tearing down the walls of it as I type...

I went down there today and was impressed with many things.

• The view from the Capitol now reveals the top half of Memorial Auditorium. Ultimately we will not see any of the wings of the Progress PACmplx.

• The wrecking crew is already 1/3 through the roof!

• The ceiling of the arena portion originally was sprayed with fuzzy white insulation/fire retardant. The "asbestos" removal occurred in the late fall, and now those ceiling beams aren't fuzzy any more. They are rust colored, like the factory sent them.

• They haven't gotten to the Wilm St. side, but it reveals that NONE of the windows broke during the implosion. Impressive!

• Things are getting exciting down there. You can start to really get a feel for the functional F-St.

• This didn't hit me until today: the South face of the Capitol does not have columns. This is a disappointment as I was hoping for an architectural mirroring with Mem Aud. Oh well. I'll still take it!

mvc643x.JPG

Archived