Nashville perspective of Charlotte

graydog

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I guess that came out wrong. I mean that I think Charlotte will one day be as big as Atlanta

Actually Charlotte is already a bigger city than Atlanta.

That was a nice and interesting article. Back in 2000 I though that Nashville & Charlotte were on par with each other, but I think in certain areas, Charlotte has definately pulled ahead.

good article. i spent a weekend in nashville this summer. i hadn't been there in awhile, so couldn't wait to check it out. i was impressed. there is a grit to nashville that charlotte doesn't have... this isn't a good or bad thing. nashvilles downtown sort of gave me a vibe of charlotte mixed with asheville. they have a ton of history, mostly music, which i love. the riverwalk area was really nice but pretty touristy. i know that alot of people here like the tourist attraction thing. i do, when its something like the grand ol opry. when its hard rock cafe and the like - i could care less. nashville has a very cool new arena, which was meant to land them an NBA team. i don't think thats happened, so their arena mostly acts a cool sculpture. i like nashville and enjoy having them as charlottes peer. however, charlotte has alot of momentum right now. it is a very exciting time in this cities history.

Very interesting article.

So that is what William looks like?

There is such a synergy between smart development, civic responsibility and public transportation in Charlotte. There are great things happening in Charlotte. I'm excited and I don't even live there........yet.

Just kidding, the last thing Charlotte needs is Celeste blasting through there.

good article. i spent a weekend in nashville this summer. i hadn't been there in awhile, so couldn't wait to check it out. i was impressed. there is a grit to nashville that charlotte doesn't have... this isn't a good or bad thing. nashvilles downtown sort of gave me a vibe of charlotte mixed with asheville. they have a ton of history, mostly music, which i love. the riverwalk area was really nice but pretty touristy. i know that alot of people here like the tourist attraction thing. i do, when its something like the grand ol opry. when its hard rock cafe and the like - i could care less. nashville has a very cool new arena, which was meant to land them an NBA team. i don't think thats happened, so their arena mostly acts a cool sculpture. i like nashville and enjoy having them as charlottes peer. however, charlotte has alot of momentum right now. it is a very exciting time in this cities history.

The historical attributes of Nashville are less about music than about the Natchez Trace, antebellum era, Civil War, (Battle of Nashville, Battle of Franklin) home of two presidents (although the Hermitage was way out from town during Jackson's life) and home to Vanderbilt University and the Parthenon. Plus there are Greek influences in a lot of old buildings there. Nashville has lost some real historical jewels though. James K. Polk's home was stupidly demolished to allow for other uses. The Maxwell House burned down when I lived there at age 10. And just recently I understand they tore down a beautiul Masonic temple to make way for a high rise.

Nashville's founding on the river banks is quite a legendary story too, especially compared to say, the founding of Houston by real estate entrepreneurs, the Allen brothers, who way oversold the attributes of Buffalo Bayou to get customers for their land company. And Nashville was named for a historical figure by a North Carolinian politico who was a friend of General Francis Nash. Also the city's role as a state capital puts it at the center of many historical events, one of which as home to the only figure in U.S. history to have served as governor of two states, namesake of the city where I currently live, Sam Houston.

Guess where Andrew Jackson and James Polk where born. ;)

The former was born in SC. :P

Seriously, it is disputed whether or not Jackson was born in Lancaster or Mecklenburg County. At any rate, he was born in the present-day Charlotte metropolitan area. Both states usually lay some sort of claim to him.

It was actually Union Co. NC right next to Lancaster Co. I'm from Waxhaw so I had to learn ALL about it growing up, even the stupid songs. ;) All that is really known is that his mother gave birth at her sister's cabin. She had a sister on each side of the state line, a state line which no one really paid attention to anyway. There are credible stories for each site which is why the mystery will forever be unsolved. SC has really capitalized off of the birth though with the state park. NC just has a little gravel road and a marble marker at their birth site. The SC site (the Crawford Cabin) was where Andrew grew up so he did often remark that he was from South Carolina. The graves of his father and brothers are still there; his mother was buried in an unmarked grave in Charleston during the Revolutionary War. Andrew wanted to move her grave there as well but no one remembered where she was buried.

• 2 weeks later...

I've talked to William at length about his trip and found his comments very interesting and fair to us both. Many times we've been tossed into a match of who's got this and who's got that, but in reality, that's not the point. I'm one of my hometown's strongest proponents and am thrilled at the enormous amount of development going on around here. As cities, we're similar, but different in so many ways.

I tend to look to Charlotte not as a city who has the things we don't because I'm quite convinced we're well on our way to having them too, but as a preview of what the next ten years in Nashville will provide for us. We're lucky in the same respects Charlotte is by having Atlanta as a model in what to do and what not to do. It seems some good lessons were learned and you're a better city for that. By being a touch further back on the track Nashville can learn from Atlanta, Portland and Charlotte in growing our city into a place we'll continue to love. Nashville is a wonderful place and I'm glad to know that we've put into print that Charlotte gets our respect and would hope the feeling is mutual.

let's regionalize it even more and say he was born in the "waxhaws". @ the time of his birth that is what the area was called. this extended into both north and south carolina. plus, this is the way the outdoor drama "listen and remember" tells it.... it must be true.

Archived