210ft condo tower proposed for Julington Creek

bobliocatt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this project were further up river, perhaps near University or Emerson I would very much agree with it. Julington Creek just doesn't seem like the ideal location for a 14 story condo adding that many potential commuters to an already oversrowded San Jose Blvd. This development would surely spawn future developments in that area and would push San Jose even closer to a Blanding-esque roadway.

If it were mixed use and more pedestrian friendly than I would vote yes, but as it stands my vote is no.

Two Points

1) 14 stories equals 210 feet? That must be a mistake.

2) How can someone oppose a One-Hundred unit condo because of "traffic," while Hundreds of Thousands of units are planned or u/c right down the road in St. John's county? That's the most two-faced thing I've ever heard. One-Hundred cars from a high rise condo aren't going to tie up San Jose Boulevard ... It's the Ten-Thousand cars from St. Johns. And in another decade it will thousands more cars from St. Johns, no matter what.

So why on earth should a development be denied for "traffic" concerns - when it's only a drop in the bucket, and it's denial will manifestly NOT prevent a huge future increase in traffic on the road? At least this development would add property tax to Duval county, and preserve the marina.

Two Points

1) 14 stories equals 210 feet? That must be a mistake.

2) How can someone oppose a One-Hundred unit condo because of "traffic," while Hundreds of Thousands of units are planned or u/c right down the road in St. John's county? That's the most two-faced thing I've ever heard. One-Hundred cars from a high rise condo aren't going to tie up San Jose Boulevard ... It's the Ten-Thousand cars from St. Johns. And in another decade it will thousands more cars from St. Johns, no matter what.

So why on earth should a development be denied for "traffic" concerns - when it's only a drop in the bucket, and it's denial will manifestly NOT prevent a huge future increase in traffic on the road? At least this development would add property tax to Duval county, and preserve the marina.

1.) Maybe the condo is stacked atop a parking garage?

2.) I agree completely that only a hundred or so cars would be added and that St. Johns is largely to blame for the overcrowding of San Jose, but I would just rather see the development further north leaving the quaint neighborhoods along the creek intact. This development would be much better suited as infill, not suburban density.

I guess that this could be a good thing in that traffic woes and gas prices are forcing more and more people to move towards the city core and out of the suburbs. It could also help to entice a mass transit option to the area. Please excuse my previous "two-faced" comment. :thumbsup:

I agree that a highrise at Julington Creek does seem a little out of place, but this is probably because our frame of reference has been that that area is suburban, lowrise residential. And, there is nothing Duval County can do to prevent additional sprawl in St Johns County which will continue to burden our roads (especially San Jose Blvd). So, I kind of agree that at least we are getting the property taxes with this and at least we may see some reduction in automobile commuting because of this development. And, they are preserving much of the marina. I think it seems to be acceptable to me. Of course, I would rather see this downtown, but not everyone wants to live downtown.

Also, keep in mind there is an 8 story (or is it 6 story) condo building not to far up the road at Baymeadows and San Jose. Maybe this is a good sign.

(personaly, what Iwould liek to see alot of densification in madrin as a whole, and a baby CBD around san jose and 295. I knw it will never happen, but one can hope :) )

Cheers Guys

Please excuse my previous "two-faced" comment. :thumbsup:

Asonj - I hadn't read your post when I posted my comment, so that wasn't directed at you.

While I think your opposition is wrong ;), I'm definitely not calling you two-faced. It's clear that your opinion has integrity because you also understand the negative impacts of low-density sprawl out in St. Johns county.

Rather, the two-faced people are NIMBY's who don't have any problem with the expansive sprawl occuring 5-10 miles down the road - yet freak out and cry bloody-muder if someone tries to build a single mid-rise condo in their neighborhood. Their inconsistent and selective use of the traffic complaint is what make them two-faced.

I just find this whole thing pretty awkward. This will be the tallest building within a ten mile radius i think. Also, Baymeadows is about 9 miles away from where this will be. There will be nothing at all to make this thing blend in. On the other hand, I love tall buildings on the water.

I too am mixed on this project but am leaning on the pro side so far. I do agree that it might fit in more further up the road but then again a tall building had to start at some point over there as well so why not here?

I think it's great that developers are trying to add more dense residential communities all around the city and not just in DT.

Asonj - I hadn't read your post when I posted my comment, so that wasn't directed at you.

While I think your opposition is wrong , I'm definitely not calling you two-faced. It's clear that your opinion has integrity because you also understand the negative impacts of low-density sprawl out in St. Johns county.

Rather, the two-faced people are NIMBY's who don't have any problem with the expansive sprawl occuring 5-10 miles down the road - yet freak out and cry bloody-muder if someone tries to build a single mid-rise condo in their neighborhood. Their inconsistent and selective use of the traffic complaint is what make them two-faced.

My mistake Captain :whistling: No hard feelings?

My point is that wether it is sprawl or a slough of 60 story buildings lining Julington Creek it is still a mass of daily commuters making their way up San Jose to go to work every day. If there were more in support of keeping residents of that area localized then there is some definite benefit to densifying Julington Creek.

Also, keep in mind there is an 8 story (or is it 6 story) condo building not to far up the road at Baymeadows and San Jose. Maybe this is a good sign.

(personaly, what Iwould liek to see alot of densification in madrin as a whole, and a baby CBD around san jose and 295. I knw it will never happen, but one can hope )

Cheers Guys

You may see a dense pack of 4-5 story storage buildings before a CBD :lol:

Have you noticed the two storage buildings going up? One is by Wal-Mart and the other across the street on Scott Mill. Could we call it a CSD (Central Storage District)? :rofl:

Archived