Wildfire in LA Area

goodbye

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well.. depends which "suburbs" of LA you're talking about.. most of the time ppl try to repair/rebuild in the same canyons that are yearly exposed to the risk of brushfires. maybe for people on the east coast that may seem weird (why would you put yourself/property at risk again?) but think of those who live in hurricane or tornado-prone regions, we californians ask the same question about them (how can they live there and go through that every single year -- multiple times?). some ppl clearly feel it's worth it to live in such a place, and are willing to take whatever risk (brushfires, earthquakes, landslides, flash floods) come with it...

i have a friend who lives in canyon country. i visit almost every weekend. it's a great place to live, with lots of hiking trails and beautiful scenery with views of the pacific, and it's totally overrun by deer.. all just a short drive away from work, school, etc... personally if i could afford it i'd probably live there too ;) as you can guess, property values are very high, despite the risk of fires/natural disasters.

but the most widespread effect felt by everyone in the greater LA area is the pollution, the poor air quality, even in the coastal regions, thanks to the way the santa ana winds blow. the dust that's typically carried inland is carried back out westward to the coastal areas. the brown haze over the horizon is not a pretty sight, aaaand it's bad for your lungs/skin/morale..

Thanks for that news and info, Angelina. Nice to see L.A. represented on Urban Planet. You'll have to get your friends to start posting as well. I'd love to know what's up over there in SoCal. :thumbsup:

Too bad about the polution. :sick: I've seen the same thing while driving up I-81 in Virginia during a large forest fire. Amazing how smoke/smog/dust can change a beautiful day.

Keep posting, and seriously get your friends to do the same! After looking around the other forums and threads, you can definitely see how cool this site is. :D

Thanks for that news and info, Angelina. Nice to see L.A. represented on Urban Planet. You'll have to get your friends to start posting as well. I'd love to know what's up over there in SoCal. :thumbsup:

Too bad about the polution. :sick: I've seen the same thing while driving up I-81 in Virginia during a large forest fire. Amazing how smoke/smog/dust can change a beautiful day.

Keep posting, and seriously get your friends to do the same! After looking around the other forums and threads, you can definitely see how cool this site is. :D

Yeah, the smog comes and goes, and it's worst during brushfire season. But you know, I used to think it was worse in LA than any other city until I saw Denver in late summer! They call it the Denver Brown Cloud, and it's very serious, but doesn't get as much attention.. it occurs in a similar way as in LA most of the time when there's a temperature inversion, and the city has grown a lot. I was surprised to get stuck in traffic there!

UP is definitely a cool place!

• 4 months later...

Archived