Virginia Beach: From honky-tonk to highbrow

vdogg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article was listed somewhere else in the forum but we still have a long ways to go imo to 'arrive'. It is good to know though that someone is taking note of quality development that is going on in our city. And so as to not to sound negative we do have a lot of great things going on but the best is yet to come. :)

This article was listed somewhere else in the forum but we still have a long ways to go imo to 'arrive'. It is good to know though that someone is taking note of quality development that is going on in our city. And so as to not to sound negative we do have a lot of great things going on but the best is yet to come. :)

Yea, I posted in Va. Beach Development but i'll go ahead and move it here if you guys want a separate thread for it.

Wasn't that article in USA Today as well? That's some nice pub for the Beach. Yesterday at the gym, I saw a someone looking at a Carnival cruise brochure. I noticed it said 6-day Bahamas cruise from Norfolk on the front. Nice to see someone in OC looking to fly to Norfolk for a cruise.

Wasn't that article in USA Today as well? That's some nice pub for the Beach. Yesterday at the gym, I saw a someone looking at a Carnival cruise brochure. I noticed it said 6-day Bahamas cruise from Norfolk on the front. Nice to see someone in OC looking to fly to Norfolk for a cruise.

Wow, that is nice. We've definately been put on the map this year. Now lets hope we stay there. :D

Wow, that is nice. We've definately been put on the map this year. Now lets hope we stay there. :D

With everything coming along the next 5-10 years (that we know of, not even including unannounced developments!!) we're really getting out there in the US.

It was a very interesting article and I can definitely see what they mean. I went down to the Boardwalk about 2 months ago for the first time in almost 2 years and it was like a different city. With OBC buildings going up and the new Hilton buildings up that whole section from 21-35 is looking ab-fabulous. I can't wait until more announcements come (and with beachfront tourism growing in numbers and in checkbooks... it WILL!). :D

I decided to go down to the Oceanfront and lo and behold they were holding some type of ceremony for the new King Neptune sculpture. Interestingly enough on one side was the nice hotel with classical music playing and across the street kids were yelling, hanging out in cars and one big truck with some dude holding a confederate flag squaled tires as he left. :lol: . Anyway, some pics are a little blurry but hope you enjoy.

Starbucks!

DSC02504.jpg

DSC02505.jpg

Some new retail for our Ocean 31 guests and our residents as well.

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

Kinda angry looking don't ya think?

DSC02513.jpg

I took another pic that didn't come out but these areas with the umbrellas also had fire pits so folks were keeping warm and I think they really attributed to a nice atmosphere.

DSC02515.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

That's all for now!

I never saw Virginia Beach as a honky-tonk run down vacation resort. I don't know what the author of the article was thinking.

10 years ago it was. Since then, several new hotels and timeshares have come online. Others have renovated. Retail has improved with new construction and more up-scale choices. We used to have a Hilton at 9th St. Now it's a Quality Inn. Hotels like the Thunderbird, the Marjac, and the Tropicana were all there. There were 500 McDonald's along the Strip. Every other store was a tiny t-shirt and taffy shop. Now, there are several mid-level hotel chains. Upscale chains (besides Hilton and Sheraton) are interested in coming in. High-end time-shares have been built and are being built. The Dome is gone. So is the Pavilion. More upscale stores are opening beyond the small shopping center near the NE. Older hotels and apartments are renovating. Also, don't forget, Atlantic used to look like Pacific. The Oceanfront may not have been as bad as downtown Norfolk, but it has redefined itself just as downtown did.

An article in the Washington Post once referred to Virginia Beach as a "Johnny Lunchbucket" sort of place. While a churlish comment to be sure, there was a certain truth to it. The same would not apply today. Virginia Beach has made eormous improvements lately. It's still sad to see older hotels like the Pinewood, Warner, Avalon and others disappear to the wrecker's ball. The old Virginia Beach had a certain charm which has been lost, but it is good to see that something more than strip-mall ticky tacky is taking its place. Now if they'd just get rid of the new wing of the Cavalier.....

Honky tonk is a pretty strong word to describe the Oceanfront area. I would not classify that area as such, maybe a little cheesy and cheap (or was) but never honky tonk. When I hear the word honky tonk I think 'redneckish' (is that a word?) but I wouldn't go that far.

Honky tonk is a pretty strong word to describe the Oceanfront area. I would not classify that area as such, maybe a little cheesy and cheap (or was) but never honky tonk. When I hear the word honky tonk I think 'redneckish' (is that a word?) but I wouldn't go that far.

To perhaps use an ill-suited term... there is that "certain element" of redneck-ism in parts of Virginia Beach, but to ascribe that characteristic to just Virginia Beach out of all of Hampton Roads is ludicrous. All the areas (except maybe Norfolk and Portsmouth) have more than a handful of rednecks, but find one southern city that doesn't... The Oceanfront, however (and at least since I've ever been there in my 11 years in this region) has actually been one of the most diverse places... so honky-tonk is a poor choice in words. You see all groups of people congregating along Atlantic and the Boardwalk which really gives it an interesting, cosmopolitan feel. I think as more projects start to be developed there (it'll eventually happen, Oceana or not) the cosmopolitan feel will be enhanced and hopefully people across the US will forget VB ever had that "honky tonk" image. :thumbsup:

Archived