Two Dutch Cities

Ronald

I visited downtown Utrecht wednesday afternoon and Dordrecht Friday morning and afternoon.

I study in Utrecht so I am there quite often.

This is downtown Utrecht, a city in the middle of the Netherlands. It's the country's 4th city.

imag00172rv.jpg

imag00188hp.jpg

imag00204ch.jpg

imag00213ef.jpg

imag00228wr.jpg

imag00240rz.jpg

imag00270ua.jpg

imag00282mh.jpg

imag00293jy.jpg

And this is Dordrecht, a town of about 120,000 inhabitants, south of Rotterdam.

It's one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands.

imag00313eg.jpg

imag00324qs.jpg

imag00343ar.jpg

imag00369jz.jpg

imag00377rp.jpg

imag00388lu.jpg

imag00397hg.jpg

imag00408nv.jpg

imag00425ut.jpg

imag00435za.jpg

and this is a renovated square in the city center, where they had a market today.

imag00410wh.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How charming. I love all the history in Europe's old cities. The city I live in was established in the 1900s....

Utrecht was established by the Romans in the late 7th century.

Dordrecht was founded in the early 11th century, however this city has kept more old buildings.

The big cathedral you see in some of the pictures of Dordrecht was buildt in the 13th century.

Going by train would be a wise choice. I go to Utrecht by train everyday.

Car traffic is way too busy and there aren't many cheap options if you don't own a car (like me).

It won't take you any longer than 30-35 minutes if you take the "Snel trein" (speed train), or the "Intercity". It might take you up to 45 minutes if you take a stopping train.

The central station in Utrecht is attached to Holland's largest indoor mall.

You have to walk through it, if you want to go to downtown Utrecht.

The mall isn't very big though. It will take you about 5 minutes to walk through it, and you're in downtown utrecht.

You'll end up facing a big, empty square. Just walk staight on and you'll be at the channels in no-time. The dom (church tower) is at the other end of downtown. It's all at a walkable distance.

Great photos! My grandfather was from Dordrecht. It was nice to see photos of the city I've heard so much about.

That's cool man!

You're welcome! B)

I'm pretty sure the city hasn't changed a lot since your grandfather lived there. Here we mostly keep the old buidlings. Some streets are 400 yrs old, as you can see on the photos. The only new part of downtown is the market square and an indoor mall they opened a few decades ago.

I'm pretty sure the city hasn't changed a lot since your grandfather lived there. Here we mostly keep the old buidlings. Some streets are 400 yrs old, as you can see on the photos. The only new part of downtown is the market square and an indoor mall they opened a few decades ago.
I have a few photos of the city from when my grandfather was young. It doesn't look to have changed much since then.

• 3 years later...

Archived