Arkansas Picture Of The Day

NCB

Yeah they're massive. It's like three of four buildings sorta link together to make a very long lodge. I wasn't too happy at first because I was worried that they were overdoing it a bit. The shots I took were a way down the road and down from the top of the mountain because I couldn't get any shots anywhere else because of all the construction. When they first put the state park up there they acted concerned because of the unique habitat up there. Then not too mcuh later they decide to put a huge lodge up there. I almost wish they had built a taller structure so it didn't spread out so much. But once it's done I suppose you'll be able to go back and look at the view, although you may have to do it from the lodge itself.

I found an update on the Mount Magazine Lodge.

The modern, rustic-style lodge will feature a restaurant and hearth room lobby with massive stone fireplaces, conference and banquet facilities, enclosed swimming pool, fitness center, and game room. It will have 60 rooms and 13 cabins.

Thought I'd post a few more from Hemmed-in Hollow Falls around the Buffalo National River I took in the spring. The first is a pic from the top of the falls right before the water goes over the edge. The next two are of the falls themselves. Yeah I'd prefer it to be one panoramic view but I haven't been too happy with my software that does that. You can see a person on a ledge for scale. As I said before, not the most impressive waterfall around as far as the amount of water, but it is tall.

hh26b6lh.jpg

hh115bu.jpg

hh12b3lq.jpg

Wow! That falls hike is a chore isn't it? However, it's well worth it! Thanks for the photos.

Thanks, yeah the Compton hike itself itsn't very easy in itself and then I found out there was a way to get up to the top of the falls also. I think Tim Ernst said that the Compton trail to Hemmed-in Hollow was one of the steepest if not the steepest trail in Arkansas and that it can even give an experianced hiker a little trouble. I love going there but it really can be an all day affair.

Thanks, yeah the Compton hike itself itsn't very easy in itself and then I found out there was a way to get up to the top of the falls also. I think Tim Ernst said that the Compton trail to Hemmed-in Hollow was one of the steepest if not the steepest trail in Arkansas and that it can even give an experianced hiker a little trouble. I love going there but it really can be an all day affair.

I took a group of teenagers through 13.5 miles of hiking in one day! :blink: We went out to Whitaker's Point in the morning. :thumbsup: The afternoon hike included making it down to the falls, then across the Buffallo FIVE times (in the dark I might add) to where our bus had parked to pick us up. Obviously, we did not plan on hiking after dark, but we were not prepared to sleep in the wild. Besides we were soaking wet from crossing the river, which was about 50 degrees! These were not experts by any means... as a matter of fact, a few of them were crying before it was over. :cry:

It was definitely one of the most memorable experiences of my life. :D

I took a group of teenagers through 13.5 miles of hiking in one day! :blink: We went out to Whitaker's Point in the morning. :thumbsup: The afternoon hike included making it down to the falls, then across the Buffallo FIVE times (in the dark I might add) to where our bus had parked to pick us up. Obviously, we did not plan on hiking after dark, but we were not prepared to sleep in the wild. Besides we were soaking wet from crossing the river, which was about 50 degrees! These were not experts by any means... as a matter of fact, a few of them were crying before it was over. :cry:

It was definitely one of the most memorable experiences of my life. :D

It's funny but I had a somewhat similar experiance once there. After I had hiked down to the falls it turned cloudy and I had lost track of time and I had to hike part of the trail back up in the dark and I wasn't prepared for the cold night either. The worst part was that all the leaves were on the ground and I wasn't sure half of the time where the trail was. But I did manage to get back in the dark. It certainly was a rememberable hike. :D I was going to post some more Hemmed-in Hollow pics but I'm having problems with the place I upload my pics to unfortunately.

Edited by Mith242

Now that I can upload some more pics I can post a few more around Hemmed-in Hollow. The first is from the ledge about a third of the way up the waterfall that you can see in some of the other pics I've posted. The others are just some odd erosion of the rocks near the waterfall.

hh14b7lb.jpg

hh16b6kd.jpg

hh15b5ry.jpg

hh13b6kf.jpg

Those are great!!!

Is this near the Buffalo National River?

Yeah technically it is in the Buffalo National River. There is a bit of land preserved around areas of the river. You can get to this area from the river if you know where to stop. There's also the way I went, there's a trail that starts near the town of Compton. If you ever have serious interest in going let me know and I can try to give you more precise directions.