Arkansas Picture Of The Day

NCB

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot of the old Saeger Theater in Pine Bluff.

pb013sv.jpg

I've been meaning to ask about the old Saenger Theater since you posted it in the Pine Bluff thread. I've heard it mentioned by family from Pine Bluff. If I'm not mistaken, I've also heard that there were several Saenger Theatres throughout the South. I did a quick search on Google and saw that there were indeed Saenger Theatres in New Orleans, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Mobile, and Pensacola. There was also one in Texarkana. I'm sure there were/are others as well. Do you remember any of its history?

I've been meaning to ask about the old Saenger Theater since you posted it in the Pine Bluff thread. I've heard it mentioned by family from Pine Bluff. If I'm not mistaken, I've also heard that there were several Saenger Theatres throughout the South. I did a quick search on Google and saw that there were indeed Saenger Theatres in New Orleans, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Mobile, and Pensacola. There was also one in Texarkana. I'm sure there were/are others as well. Do you remember any of its history?

Oops, I just noticed I misspelled it. I think Saenger was a bit like Malco and had more prominence in Arkansas in the past. Although I'm not sure how extensive Saenger was in Arkansas. It took me quite a while before I realized there was an old Malco theater in Pine Bluff and that it was the same company that owns most of the theaters in northwest Arkansas. Most of the malcos in Arkansas faded away but there was basically no competition in northwest Arkansas so they stayed. And now of course they really got to take advantage of the big growth going on up here. I don't know a lot about Saenger but I'll try to ask my family and see if they know anything. I'm not even sure how old it is. I would imagine it's heydays was in the 20's. And of course back then theaters tended to be more aesthetically pleasing and I think more effort went into them. Granted things were simpler back then and they didn't have all the expensive technology that exists today. Of course no one had tvs back then either. I do remember my grandparents talking about going to it. They moved to Pine Bluff in 1940. I'll see what info I can drag up.

Looks like I was partly wrong. It sounds like the Saenger is still a theater but it's rarely used. The only thing I've been able to find out so far is that it's used for Pine Bluff's film festival. But my family didn't know of it being used any other time. They also didn't know much about Saenger's history but they are going to ask around. So maybe I'll find out a little more eventually.

Nice shot, Mith.

I like that courthouse.

Yeah that pic came out pretty good. I took a number of shots of it. But this one was the best by far, got some really great blue out of the sky in that one too.

This could have been better but I did like the eagle statue and the Axciom Building in the background.

lr047ri.jpg

Edited by Mith242

^Fantastic!

The eagle statue looks great, and I really like that building.

I just like that whole photo, great job Mith!

Thanks, if only it wasn't so dark and cloudy I think it would have been better. I'll have to remember that vantage point for any future trips when the weather may be better.