Arkansas Picture Of The Day

NCB

Here's a shot of the Mardi Gras celebration in Fayetteville.

MardiGras.jpg

I didn't even know that Fayetteville celebrated Mardi Gras. Though it looks like it was a great time up there.

How long has Mardi Gras been celebrated in Fayetteville?

To be honest I'm not sure how long it's been celebrated but I think it's been a little while. Nothing like New Orleans or Mobile of course. But it seems to be picking up steam lately. Of course the pic is from the daytime part over the weekend then there was the part that occured the other night. I heard they counted estimates around 2,500 people and this didn't count any of the people in bars just what was out on Dickson Street itself at the time.

I know Little Rock celebrated it for the first time this year...i seen it on the news...it looked pretty awesome..the RiverMarket was crowded

I didn't think Little Rock had a long history of it but I am surprised to hear this was the first year for it. I can't say I know of any other cities in Arkansas offhand that celebrate it.

I didn't think Little Rock had a long history of it but I am surprised to hear this was the first year for it. I can't say I know of any other cities in Arkansas offhand that celebrate it.

Well, these are the two cities where drunk twenty-somethings will celebrate. These are probably also the only places where you'll see St Patrick's Day and Cinqo de Mayo celebrated. Down here in Texas, today is Texas Independence Day which is yet another excuse for a big street party.

• 5 weeks later...

Does it usually look that way Nate or is it low water levels?

It was because of low water levels. I took that picture during the drought that much of Arkansas was going through, and when forest fires were a serious issue. The River is normally higher, but at that spot from the HW 41 bridge, there are many large sandbanks that make the river seem shallow even when it is at a decent height.

BTW, great picture, Rod!

It was because of low water levels. I took that picture during the drought that much of Arkansas was going through, and when forest fires were a serious issue. The River is normally higher, but at that spot from the HW 41 bridge, there are many large sandbanks that make the river seem shallow even when it is at a decent height.

BTW, great picture, Rod!

NBC

Which side is Arkansas and which side is Texas?