Arkansas Picture Of The Day

NCB

A few other cool old Little Rock schools converted for other uses...

The older Little Rock High School, later Eastside Jr High, opened in 1905. It was converted into lofts in the last 3-4 years - generally very cool - some with chalkboards left intact as some of the decor. This is located in the Quapaw Quarter near Juanita's.

eastsider_.jpg

Westside Jr High, built in 1915, burned and was left in ruins for years and is now being rebuilt as lofts in similar fashion. It is adjacent to Arkansas Childrens' Hospital campus.

good%20outside%20sign.jpg

Kramer Elementary dates to 1895 and was restored a few years ago as an artists' commune with subsidized rents for artists. It is in the McCarthur Park neighborhood and is surrounded by eclectic sculptures.

Krammer1.jpg

Yeah that would be interesting. Wasn't there some talk of a big marina or something. I don't remember what Little Rock topic it was mentioned in. Think that it could help in this aspect?

There are two marinas planned. One on the NLR side of the River and one in downtown Little Rock East of the Heifer Project as part of a large condo complex that will include an anchor restaurant and lighthouse.

There is a gated neighborhood in Riverdale called Canal Pointe with $500k+ houses and condos that has a canal that runs through it for boat/yacht access and connects to the river, this is directly adjacent to the new Acxiom and Winrock Foundation HQs and is near Alltel HQs. I always thought it was a cool scheme and would like to see it duplicated elsewhere.

There are two marinas planned. One on the NLR side of the River and one in downtown Little Rock East of the Heifer Project as part of a large condo complex that will include an anchor restaurant and lighthouse.

There is a gated neighborhood in Riverdale called Canal Pointe with $500k+ houses and condos that has a canal that runs through it for boat/yacht access and connects to the river, this is directly adjacent to the new Acxiom and Winrock Foundation HQs and is near Alltel HQs. I always thought it was a cool scheme and would like to see it duplicated elsewhere.

It does sound nice. I guess I didn't realize Winrock had it's HQ around there. Would it have been something I would have noticed?

It does sound nice. I guess I didn't realize Winrock had it's HQ around there. Would it have been something I would have noticed?

Have you been to Riverdale, the community a few minutes West of downtown along the River facing the bluffs? That's where the HQs is, not in downtown proper. Winrock moved from Petit Jean Mtn within the last year or two. Acxiom's HQs building is similar, small but very nice. These buildings are pretty much solely for the executives, much smaller than the nearby Alltel complex and Acxiom's downtown office building and Chenal and Conway complexes.

Have you been to Riverdale, the community a few minutes West of downtown along the River facing the bluffs? That's where the HQs is, not in downtown proper. Winrock moved from Petit Jean Mtn within the last year or two. Acxiom's HQs building is similar, small but very nice. These buildings are pretty much solely for the executives, much smaller than the nearby Alltel complex and Acxiom's downtown office building and Chenal and Conway complexes.

No I don't think I have been to Riverdale. But let me ask something that may be throwing me off. Does Acxiom have two different buildings? I remember seeing the one a little south of the River Market area.

No I don't think I have been to Riverdale. But let me ask something that may be throwing me off. Does Acxiom have two different buildings? I remember seeing the one a little south of the River Market area.

Acxiom has multiple buildings.

The large office building near the River Market is new and is not the corporate HQs...

p36acxiom11.jpg

The corporate HQs is 3-4 stories and is in Riverdale and has a large sculpture in front.

Acxiom also has two large office buildings on Chenal Parkway and an entire campus with multiple buildings in Conway.

The large office building near the River Market is new and is not the corporate HQs...

p36acxiom11.jpg

The corporate HQs is 3-4 stories and is in Riverdale and has a large sculpture in front.

Acxiom also has two large office buildings on Chenal Parkway and an entire campus with multiple buildings in Conway.

Okay that explains thing, I thought the large one I saw was the HQ. No wonder I was starting to get confused about trying to figure out where things were. :D

Okay that explains thing, I thought the large one I saw was the HQ. No wonder I was starting to get confused about trying to figure out where things were. :D

You need to check out Riverdale the next time you're there. The corporate HQs for Acxiom, Alltel, Winrock, and Dillard's are there and it's got beautiful parks and views of the river bluffs. There's a nice mix of offices, condos, restaurants, and apartments and there are also a number of very nice homes nearby (Acxiom CEO Charles Morgan lives on Skyline Drive). It;s got a very nice municipal golf course, fishing, volleyball, playgrounds, soccer fields, and nice jogging and biking trails.

It's a very nice place for young professionals in their 20s, especially if you like to jog and check out the eye candy.

Plus, you're 3-5 minutes from downtown jobs and bars.

You need to check out Riverdale the next time you're there. The corporate HQs for Acxiom, Alltel, Winrock, and Dillard's are there and it's got beautiful parks and views of the river bluffs. There's a nice mix of offices, condos, restaurants, and apartments and there are also a number of very nice homes nearby (Acxiom CEO Charles Morgan lives on Skyline Drive). It;s got a very nice municipal golf course, fishing, volleyball, playgrounds, soccer fields, and nice jogging and biking trails.

It's a very nice place for young professionals in their 20s, especially if you like to jog and check out the eye candy.

Plus, you're 3-5 minutes from downtown jobs and bars.

Sounds interesting. I was wondering where Dillard's HQ was. So Riverdale is west of the River Market area? Do you have any streets to help me find it? I'm going to take a look on Google Earth.

Edited by Mith242

Sounds interesting. I was wondering where Dillard's HQ was. So Riverdale is west of the River Market area? Do you have any streets to help me find it? I'm going to take a look on Google Earth.

It's easy enough. From downtown take Cantrell Road West (starts as La Harpe heading out of the River Market by the Convention Center) and head West. Dillard's HQs is about a half mile or mile down on the right. Just past that is Riverfront Drive on the right only and you can check out the whole neighborhood in just a few minutes by following it until it ends at Murray Dam.

If you keep heading up Cantrell until you hit the top of a big hill you're in the Heights.

It's easy enough. From downtown take Cantrell Road West (starts as La Harpe heading out of the River Market by the Convention Center) and head West. Dillard's HQs is about a half mile or mile down on the right. Just past that is Riverfront Drive on the right only and you can check out the whole neighborhood in just a few minutes by following it until it ends at Murray Dam.

If you keep heading up Cantrell until you hit the top of a big hill you're in the Heights.

Thanks, I think I've found most of it on Google Earth. Surprisingly no one has marked any of the skyscrapers or HQs there. It's funny sometimes what people will bother marking and what they won't.

p36acxiom11.jpg

Man that's a great shot of the Axciom Building.

One of my favorites in Arkansas.