Other cities scope out Greenville

gs3

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure most cities would love to have NASA rocket scientists in town, but that is a rare commodity — like scenic natural waterfalls in a downtown setting.

Huntsville has a great number of rare commodities, and judging from many of the post here, Greenvillians obviously need to jump on a bus and check Huntsville out, as I suggested above.

Just off the top of my head......

- Cummings Research Park. The second largest research park in the US after Triangle. A who's who of high tech corporations.....Boeing, Lockheed, EADS, GE Aviation, Johnson Controls, Sikorsky, Scientific Atlanta/Cisco, Orion, General Dynamics and on and on and on. Considering Greenville wants ICAR to grow, a trip to Cummings could be useful.

- Space Camp and The Space and Rocket Center and NASA and Redstone Arsenal. Would be incredible if Greenville had a tourist attraction that drew people from all over in the numbers the Space and Rocket Center does. Also would be cool to have all the high tech spin off jobs that come from NASA and Redstone.

- Monte Sano mountain and the views. Some notes could be taken for Paris Mountain and an overlook.

- Big Spring Park. In the heart of downtown and one of the largest springs in the Southeast. Yes, Falls Park is pretty, but Big Spring Park is lovely as well.

- Bridge Street Town, Village of Providence, Parkway Place.....Haywood, Magnolia and Verdae could take notes.

- HSV. Cargolux regularly scheduled 747 international service in support of Panalpina cargo operations. Greenville couldn't even get the FedEx hub, much less scheduled international 747 service.

There is a list too long to name......read up on Huntsville. Greenville could take notes.

Billions in Federal funding over a few decades can do wonders, no doubt.

Huntsville is coming here specifically in regards to DT. What in regards to that, does Huntsville offer as a blueprint for Greenville/

As for the FEd Ex hub, didn't Greensboro pay through the nose in incentives for primarily part-time jobs? If those planes carried people instead of boxes, it might have been worth it.

You cannot compare a general Huntsville to a general Greenville. They are too different, especially in regards to their economies. Huntsville is a much richer area because of NASA. Also you said Huntsville has a number of "rare" commodities. Well if they were in Greenville too they wouldn't be so rare would they? So just as Huntsville has rare commodities so does Greenville.

- A waterfall in the middle of downtown

- An award winning park system

- An award winning Main Street

- A award winning suspension bridge

- A top 50 liberal arts University

- The only BMW plant in North America

- The Michelin Headquarters of North America

- A performing arts center that constantly sells out

- An award winning Arts Festival

And thats just to name a few. Notice Huntsville has none of these things. I'm not saying Huntsville is a bad area, what I'm saying is that each is different and defined by completely different characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the followup story from the Huntsville paper. They were impressed.

"The Greenville trip, organized by the Big Spring Partners downtown redevelopment group, gave Battle and about 50 other local leaders a firsthand look at one of the South's biggest success stories."

http://blog.al.com/b...sc_left_hu.html

Interesting that Huntsville made some serious business contacts when they were in town as well, with a couple of private meetings......... Huntsville is very pro growth and very pro business.

^^You think they were here to steal businesses?

No, I do not think that was the purpose of their trip. I do know however they had private meetings with private industry while here (another city did this as well when they visited). While these visits are a compliment to Greenville overall, there are other issues at play.

The Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism department will be visiting Downtown Greenville on June 17 for a tour of several historic sites, including Falls Park, Court Square, the Kilgore-Lewis House, and historic neighborhoods surrounding the CBD.

• 5 months later...

I've lived in both Mount Pleasant and Greenville ... and I just do not see how anybody could possibly try to compare Coleman Boulevard to Main Street, but officials from Mount Pleasant are evidently giving it their best effort:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121124/PC16/121129689/1165/mount-pleasant-visits-another-main-street-to-improve-its-own

• 1 year later...

Greenville, once a leading textile center, is a small city with 60,700 residents, but downtown has 

become the leading specialty shopping, restaurant, and entertainment destination in the 
upstate South Carolina region. The low-wage textile industry has been replaced by higher-wage 
automotive industries, including the North American headquarters of BMW and Michelin, and 
growing financial and technology sectors. In the process, the attractive character of downtown 
Greenville has attracted more than 100 restaurants and 150 retail shops and stores. Esquire 
magazine calls Greenville one of the South’s two best food cities (Charleston is the other). Many 
call downtown Greenville a “foodie” haven. 

The Downtown Redevelopment arm of the City of Jacksonville FL  recently completed a major study of it's Downtown.  Greenville was one of six cities used for a comparative analysis.  The other cities were Baltimore, Kansas City, Louisville, Charlotte and Chattanooga.   The quote above is from that study.

Here is the entire study.  there are some Data tables with Greenville included as well.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-aug-downtown-investment-authoritys-plans-for-downtown-jax#.U-yw5vldUWI

Archived