New Brookland Village

The_sandlapper

It's like the writers of "The State" newspaper read my mind a couple of weeks ago. In the paper today there is an article discussing all the new development planned for the "West Bank" (W. Columbia/ Cayce). There was discussion on the forum of Columbia's Main St. not developing as fast as the Vista, or 5points, when In fact the hottest area in town for development now is the "Riverfront", In particularlly the "West Bank". It just seems to make sense being that Innovista will spand to the riverfront. I thought the west bank area would be the ideal place for development because of its ideal location, on the river and in view of the Columbia skyline. I think this area has greater potential than the actual Vista. Again the only draw back I see is making this area all highend gated community/condos. This will then again lock out the diversity and only make the area accessible to those who have the "proper" income. Well lets hope they get it done the right way that area is too much of a gem to waste!

WestBank

Annouced Projects for the area:

- Village at Riverwalk and Congaree Park: Two subdivisions of more than 80 homes include some of the most expensive residential land, per acre, in the Midlands. The homes will be custom-built, with riverfront views, could be worth as much as $1 million.

- State Street condos: Developers of Congaree Park are planning five modern condos on the northwest corner of State and Meeting streets. They will cost between $375,000 and $525,000 each.

- Capitol Square: Baker & Baker, a Columbia-based developers ago for $2.2 million. They plan to maintain the center as is but is exploring developing the area into office or retail space.

The city of West Columbia has acquired two key locations it will soon offer to developers:

- "Southeast corner, State and Meeting. City leaders want mixed-use, high-end residential and commercial corner that would be the heart of a “walking neighborhood.”

- O’Brien Restaurant Supply Co., on Sunset Boulevard/U.S. 378. Plan is to sell it to developers for retail use. Source "The State".

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thrilled to hear about the Capitol Square property being picked up. It is so key to that area's progress. I'm sure it'll be developed in the relatively near future. In my own little "master plan" for West Columbia, I had that property broken up into blocks (extending the existing grid on the west side of Shull and Violet Streets) and developed into a walkable office and retail area. I think that could be really great. I actually looked at some property right behind there a while back -- the guy was thinking of selling it right out or developing a couple of live/work units. His original idea was to do something cool like the Vista developments, but at a more accessible price. I wonder if that's still the case with all this new stuff going on. I'll have to give him a call and see what's up.

Seems as though the only thing standing in the way of West Columbia redeveloping its riverfront is a chicken plant. I totally understand the city's position on this (after all, a city is a business), but West Columbia's riverfront property lay underutilized for years. If it had been forecast that a development boom would come to the area sooner or later, why hadn't prior attempts at giving the plant the opportunity to move occurred? But now that the city sees dollar signs, it prefers placing the plant waaay out, probably in the middle of nowhere, where a majority of its workers cannot easily access it. I sympathize with both parties here; I just hope that a suitable solution can work that equally benefits both.

I changed the topic name, in case you've not noticed. If you prefer a different name or an addition, just let Spartan or me know, I'd be glad to help. :thumbsup: I like that name MUCH more than the previous one. You never know the possible power this site can have on it's readers' minds, especially considering who may be monitoring our discussions. Keep up the great posts!

I like West Vista MUCH better, but I think West Columbia leaders don't like it because they think it makes them seem second to downtown's Vista. I think they should be happy that people are even making such a comparison!

And anything beats "West Bank"?? Are they serious?? I would love to know who started advocating this new nomenclature.

Regarding the chicken plant... I think, now that the city owns that O'Brien property, it'll be much easier for them to monitor the activities of Columbia Farms (i.e. what they dump in the river) and I'm sure they'd love to catch them in a violation and force them out that way.

I like West Vista MUCH better, but I think West Columbia leaders don't like it because they think it makes them seem second to downtown's Vista. I think they should be happy that people are even making such a comparison!

And anything beats "West Bank"?? Are they serious?? I would love to know who started advocating this new nomenclature.

i don't care for the name either, i think west cola and the city of columbia should be happy, these are the 1st steps in to completing and infill of the metropolitian, i don't think that the actuall chicken farm should hender the developments. after all the actual chicken farm is only on 1 acre of land. this would bring columbia and west columbia together instead of 2 separate idenities

West Bank isnte really that bad of a term considering local history and the fact that it is the west bank of the Congaree. Its not really a political statement there. That said, I still agree that it is an unfortunate coincidence. West Bank is the obvious answer. West Vista , etc, seems like its playing off of Columbia too much.

What about playing on that neighborhood and the West Cola's original name: New Brookland

Thoughts?

I like the "New Brookland Village", since that's what WCola used to be called. Anything with the word "village" gives it immeadiate "bohemian" cred. The article actually called the area New Brookland Village, and the West Bank, which refers to the west in relation to Columbia, so if WCola wants to keep its identity maybe they should say East Bank, or New Brookland.

Anyway I like the name "New Brookland Village" best.

So far, I think the count is:

• New Brookland (1 votes)

• West Vista (2 vote)

• West Bank (1 vote)

If anyone else wants to give a vote or add another name to the mix, that would be nice. If you all settle on one of them, then the thread can be permanently named the way you like. :)

• 1 month later...

It seems the area is at it again. More new developments are on their way to the west side of the Vista. Again if I was an investor this is what I would do. You can't beat riverfront development with the skyline in the background!

Future projects:

Congaree Park: Located on the West Columbia Banks

City Club: 300 Gervais Street

River Area Condos: West Columbia, 400 Meeting Street

Commercial Property: In the Vista, Gervais Street.

New Developments

After reading the post here, I found it quite amazing I never heard the name west bank before. I was looking into a couple of cities history. I found the name west bank used in alot of american cities, and even Iraq has a west bank section of there city!! But the name leaves something else to be desired

• 4 months later...

Archived