New Brookland Village

The_sandlapper

If West Columbia and Cayce do merge to form Brookland-Cayce, it will have the 2nd hyphenated name in the county, with Batesburg-Leesville being the first. I can't think of any other cities in the state with hyphenated names.

LOL, yeah! I suppose there wouldn't have to be a hyphen . . just call it Brookland Cayce.

There is a Fuquay-Varina in North Carolina. Imagine schoolchildren trying to learn that one in spelling class--quite a mouthful, too!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see West Columbia, Cayce and all the rest of the little towns surrounding Columbia join with us through annexation. It would be good for ALL the people; Only the politicians in the little burgs would be diminished. :D

To paraphrase Leona Helmsley's famous "only the little people pay taxes"..."only the little people pay taxes without representation".

• 8 months later...

A new West Vista/New Brookland development that I haven't seen mentioned here... Sterling University by the River, a high-end student-oriented apartment complex (there are some hotttt amenities), is being built between State Street and Alexander Road in West Columbia. They're being built on the former site of the Westbridge Apartments that were demolished earlier this year. If you're having trouble picturing it, they're being built on the parcel between University Commons (they're called something else now, but I can't remember the new name) and the New Brookland Mill Village.

river_size_01.gif

Alexander_Rd-West.jpg

It's not what I would have chosen for that spot, but whatever.

^I hope so. It looks a lot better since they cleared the land, but still. What are they going to put there?

As an aside, the old West Columbia fire station still stands, and I'm pretty sure it has been converted to a home. It is down the street that runs between Thompson's Funeral Home and Rsh's Flowers. I think that's Auguta, but can't recall. Anyway, its down about a half block. Cool building.

As another aside, back in the mid nineties, I lived at Granby Oaks and used to walk to the New Brokkland Tavern. The intersection where Thompson's is also has a tax office. Death and taxes. We used to call it the Intersection of Inevitability.

^I hope so. It looks a lot better since they cleared the land, but still. What are they going to put there?

As an aside, the old West Columbia fire station still stands, and I'm pretty sure it has been converted to a home. It is down the street that runs between Thompson's Funeral Home and Rsh's Flowers. I think that's Auguta, but can't recall. Anyway, its down about a half block. Cool building.

As another aside, back in the mid nineties, I lived at Granby Oaks and used to walk to the New Brokkland Tavern. The intersection where Thompson's is also has a tax office. Death and taxes. We used to call it the Intersection of Inevitability.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived