Favorite Atlanta Parks

Andrea

Westview Cemetery is one of Atlanta's most beautiful spaces. We happened to be out that way one fine fall afternoon and snapped a few photos:

statue2.jpg

towersmall.jpg

Despite being in a bad section of town it is a nice cemetery. A lot of my relatives are buried there.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Necro... much Andrea? I don't know, usually I can appreciate all forms of great spaces but cemeteries (no matter how spruced up they are) give me the chills. When I was looking for an apartment here, I crossed off a couple of places just because when I looked them up with google maps, they were too close to a cemetery or graveyard. All those Living Dead and zombie movies I was exposed to at a tender age have warped my mind. :unsure:

LOL, Hybrid. Yep, just give me a baguette, a bottle of wine and a nice graveyard. :lol:

Cemeteries can definitely be spooky but at their best they are important memorials, archives and public spaces that bind communities together. I think that's at least part of the reason we quit putting bodies in the ground randomly.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how I got these buildings so out of focus. At least the reflection in the lake is clear!

reverse.jpg

Ah, the joys of city living! No hunters crouching in swamps trying to blow us out of the air.

CityLife.jpg

Hey there Andrea. Try flipping the picture, unless you were making a joke anyway! :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say the holiday lights at Centennial Olympic Park are absolutely smashing!! In addition to the usual lighted columns, they've got thousands of red, green, blue and white lights woven all through the trees and other plants, and through the fencing around the park. The ice skating rink looks quite festive, and the music wafting out across the park from the skating pavilion was lovely. Of course it's all set against the twinkling walls of light of the city itself.

Highly recommended!

:thumbsup:

I just wanted to say the holiday lights at Centennial Olympic Park are absolutely smashing!! In addition to the usual lighted columns, they've got thousands of red, green, blue and white lights woven all through the trees and other plants, and through the fencing around the park. The ice skating rink looks quite festive, and the music wafting out across the park from the skating pavilion was lovely. Of course it's all set against the twinkling walls of light of the city itself.

Highly recommended!

:thumbsup:

I intend to go there sometime soon to take some pictures, so keep a look out for them :) . I heard they put on a good show this year.

• 9 months later...

Just got an email from the Chastain Park Conservancy, and it mentioned that they are in the process of developing a new master plan. I'll be interested to see what they come up with. It's the city's largest park and one of its most heavily used ones as well.

Some interesting facts about the park in this video. I didn't realize the golf course was designed by the same who guy who designed Pebble Beach!

http://www.chastainparkconservancy.org/Def...aspx?tabid=4002

Archived