Lansing: New View, Long Overdue + Development and Construction

RustTown

*REPOST from Skyscraperpage.com*

Just thought I'd post an update on the residential construction projects in the central city. The revitalization of downtown Lansing is still in its very early stages, but it seems as if a critical mass has been built up, or is coming very soon. I also found a new view of part of the skyline I never knew existed.

The Arbaugh will be partially opened later this fall. The newest addition is the painting of the back wall. The windows were punched through in late summer:

Before - September 11th, 2005

71pp3.jpg

After - October 2nd, 2005

711_arbaugh.jpg

The Prudden Place Apartments, though they could have been, are just about done. Phase II will start soon afterwards.

Before - September 11th, 2005

71prudden_place_september_11th.jpg

After - October 2nd, 2005

712_prudden_place.jpg

(they REALLY should have put some windows on the side of this model)

713_prudden_place.jpg

714_prudden_place.jpg

715_prudden_place.jpg

Prudden Factory, a 180+ unit development next door, is still undergoing heavy renovation; in fact they were working on it when I went by today to get this picture. But, you'd never know since the facade is the last thing they plan to complete.

713_prudden_factory.jpg

One the Grand Condominiums - Phase II is finally rising above ground. This will include 20+ new units. It sits high above the Grand on a steep riverbluf in Old Town Lansing.

Phase I - completed in 2000 or so, I can't remember

71on_the_grand__1_.jpg

Phase II - July 23rd, 2005 - Groundbreaking

71one_the_grand_construction.jpg

Phase II - October 2nd, 2005

7113_on_the_grand_condominiums.jpg

A miscellanious nearby house, one of the oldest standing in Lansing.

7114_historic_house.jpg

East Village this large neighborhood construction is on schedule.

Another one of the Chelsea Square models.

7115_east_village.jpg

The back of the Hampton Ridge section of the neighborhood sitting high above the rest of the neighborhood. The front sits along the heavily traveled, one-way Saginaw Street.

7116_east_village.jpg

7117_east_village.jpg

Printer's Row, though small, is probably one of the highest quality developments going on downtown, right now. It is both a "green" and "smart" development, and will include 17 townhouse condominiums units fronting Grand and St. Joseph right on the Grand Avenue freeway ramp. There will be 10 Chicago-style (whatever that is) condos on Grand, and 7 Victorian-style units on St. Joseph. There will be EXTENSIVE landscapping.

Preliminary renderings - it has been slightly changed

71cherry_hill__2_.jpg

Signage before construction start

7129__printer_s_row.jpg

Kerr House still under renovation as the office portion of the development (taken July 3rd).

7130__kerr_house.jpg

Tweaked site plan

71printers_row.jpg

October 2nd, 2005 view

7119_printers_row.jpg

Now, the new view I found. In between Cedar and Larch (before they totally merge) just south of Michigan Avenue and the Oldsmobile Stadium stands an elevated park I never knew existed. I always figured it was a rail then berm.

The art deco, Dye Treatment Plant on a riverbluff high above the Grand. It is one of the historic structures of the Lansing Board of Water and Lights, and is very well kept up and landscapped.

716_dye_treatment_plant.jpg

The the ugly, modern addition to the plant built in either the 60's or 70's.

719_dye_treatment_facility.jpg

The neon, art deco sign has been taken down for repair like it usually is. Like the Ottawa Street Station is reads "Board of Water and Light"

7112_dye.jpg

Directly to the north are the telephone and power wires that destory the Cedar/Larch one-way corridor. Oh yeah, Oldsmobile Park can be seen. :) Soon, this view will be blocked when the taller Stadium District is constructed. That is to start later this year, or early next year.

718_stadium.jpg

Prelim. rendering of Stadium District - 100 plus apartments/condos, with ground floor retail and office space.

71stadium_district_2_ii.jpg

Lansing has quite a few historic chimney's dotting the downtown skyline.

717_chimneys.jpg

Down into the river.

7111_michigan_national.jpg

Lastly, part of the northern skyline

7110_skyline.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lines:

--------------------------------

Now, the new view I found. In between Cedar and Larch (before they totally merge) just south of Michigan Avenue and the Oldsmobile Stadium stands an elevated park I never knew existed. I always figured it was a rail then berm.

The art deco, Dye Treatment Plant on a riverbluff high above the Grand. It is one of the historic structures of the Lansing Board of Water and Lights, and is very well kept up and landscapped.

--------------------------------

Should there be a picture between them? If so I can't see one.

I really hope it actually is turns out to be healthy, because we are currently in a no-man's land in terms of what is going to pan out. This could either be the start of a real boom, or another false start like we had back in the mid-90's when Oldsmobile Park was 'supposed' to reinvigorate downtown, which it did, but no where near as much as the city hopped it would.

Archived