Forest Oaks Shopping Center

DigitalSky

with all the things going on with the Chrysler Classic of Gso, i found this article published about a month ago concerning the former Winn-Dixie in Forest Oaks, how it is the only grocer for miles in the area, and I assumed Harris Teeter would replace it because they did bid on this store, but then the article was talking about Food Lion but that not happening..

The article is talking about the sewer system and how Forest Oaks is outside the Gso city limits

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWSREC02010301

Does anyone know what's happening there?

"What are they going to think when they drive past this decrepit shopping center?" Farmer said.

forestoaks9tq.jpg

heres another article from the Rhino times, mainly about the septic system http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/story.html?id=909

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sewer failures and derilict shopping center are not directly a Greensboro problem, but it reflects badly on the city when visitors see it on the way to the golf tournament. Greensboro and Guilford County should work together to come up with a solution for those residents.

Cindy Farmer, by the way, got her start at WSLS-TV in Roanoke. She was cute back then too. :)

• 1 month later...

yeah.

anyway, they really do need a grocery store seeing as there isn't one within a 6 mile radius. I found out HT originally bid on it but then pulled out for some reason. The closest grocers are Alamance Church Road's SFM and Food Lion, and the HT, SFM and FL on Randlemand Road and then 10 miles south FL in Liberty

Harris Teeter wanted to go into the shopping center only on the condition that Agapion would sell the center to someone else. Only then would they invest the money to upfit the store in the usual manner. Agapion would't sell and they withdrew all offers. This is the story that I got from an extremely reliable source.

I agree that everything Agapion owns is run-down. He owns the Cedar St apartments that are half burnt-down, the Heritage House apartments at the corner of Cone Blvd and Summit Ave, and many other apartments and houses. Greensboro threatened to condemn some of his houses if he did not fix them up. Then at the last minute, he would have them fixed just to barely meet code, and avoid condemnation. Then shortly thereafter, were in the same condition as before. WFMY and the N&R have done many stories on him over the years.

• 1 month later...

Harris Teeter wont come as long as he ownes it. Food Lion will go anywhere. My hope is that noone goes in and a real developer comes in with a nice center. That place will always be a rundown eyesore.

Yeah, an eyesore is something you don't expect for a nice area like that, which holds the Chrysler Classic too. Harris Teeter would be the most appropriate fit, considering they do sponser the Chrysler Classic.

Considering that Forest Oaks shopping center is more than 20 years old, and the area HAS to have infilled more since then, I'm surprised to hear that it's empty and nobody is interested in it.

Well, not all that surpised, if Agapion owns it.... I remember reading slumlord articles about him in the late 1980s. He would go in with partners and buy units in east Greensboro, and was such a miser the other partners would bail, and leave him the sole owner.

I guess no amount of shame will get him to change his business practices.

Archived