COMPLETE: RISD Chace Center

Supposedly there is money outside the operating budget which is allocated to this project. Various donations and grants which are specifically allocated to the Chase Center and cannot be applied to the operating budget. Though people who actually run the project will likely be paid out of the operating budget at least in part, making the project difficult to pull off under the current budget situation. Word is, RISD is looking for federal funds for this project based on the effect it would have on the city.

I doubt we'll see it breakground on it's current schedule in June, but it seems pretty likely work will start sometime in '06.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expect a somewhat scaled back version of the Chase Center to break ground sometime in September (maybe).

We should not be too surprised to hear this, since this project has been delayed due to budget issues. And I don't like the current design of this building, which I guess may hopefully change.

Scaled back how?? :ph34r:

By lopping two floors off the top of it. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Once you've got the building going, building up doesn't really cost a whole lot, and it's not speculative construction, RISD could probably build it up to 15 floors and fill it. This of course is more rumour, and could be wrong. Other rumours include it not being built at all, ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Moneo has been asked to produce a scaled down version of the building.

This is too bad. I was hoping for the Chase Center to be major building so RISD could develop a unique art museum that could become a decent draw. Maybe they will still be able to make a strong design statement just with a smaller budget.

I really like what they have done with the facility they have now and I expect them to do a nice job with the new building. I think of them as Providence

This is too bad. I was hoping for the Chase Center to be major building so RISD could develop a unique art museum that could become a decent draw. Maybe they will still be able to make a strong design statement just with a smaller budget.

I really like what they have done with the facility they have now and I expect them to do a nice job with the new building. I think of them as Providence

Picking up on the recent discussion on the Brown thread, anyone know the size of RISD's endowment?

RISD is not very well endowed. :blush:

They are educating artists, which are people who don't often end up making huge salaries like the doctors and biologists and engineers that non-art schools produce. There are some big names out there that contribute to the school (apparently Matha Stewart's staff is packed with RISD alums), but the pool of money among the alumni is quite small.

• 1 month later...

Both the ProJo Blog post, and the announcement from Roger Mandle mention an October groundbreaking. It's my understanding that work will actually begin in June.

Roger Mandles post also mentions an October Library dedication, it's my understanding that the Library will actually begin it's move to 15West in June, and it should be all moved and ready to go in September when the students come back.

So though formal ceremonies will be taking place in October, we'll see movement much sooner. Also expect work this summer around the RISD Store and RISD Auditorium. Nothing ground breaking, just some maintenance.

Any new renders popping up anywhere?

Apparently there are some first blushes of the redesign floating around. But there is a committee being formed to reevaluate the building, and the needs it will fulfill, so the final redesign will depend on that.

ProJo article about the scaled back building.

Asked for more details, Mandle would say only that the new Chace Center would probably be "more sculptural" than the original, with more windows and other textural elements on the facade. He also said the smaller five-story building would be a better "fit" for the site, currently a surface parking lot on North Main Street between Waterman and College streets.

The building is being reduced by one floor from 6 to 5. The glowing glass canopy is out too. I just hope there's an escalator up to Bennefit Street.

I think it would be hard for the Chase center to be anything less than a positive contribution to the streetscape there, considering there is nothing there now and I doubt it will be unattractive. Everything RISD has done everywhere is, at the very least, clean, attractive, and high quality for the most part. "Sculptural" is encouraging...

- Garris

But...David Brussat must be happy about the glass canopy being scrapped... :whistling:

I have a sneeking suspicion that he will find other things not to like about it. Afterall, it definately won't be a greek revival building made of brick.

But...David Brussat must be happy about the glass canopy being scrapped... :whistling:

He dosen't seem to be paying much attention to development projects downcity, as of late. His Thursday column ignores what is happening around the city. In fact, I was the one who notified him on the Sierra Suites hotel proposal, which he knew nothing about.

Archived