COMPLETE: RISD Chace Center

It's bigger today. The thing is massive. I was at Dyer Street Landing eating lunch today, it is very prominent from there (corner of Dyer/Memorial and South Water).

The building to the right is called the Bank Building.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had a thought on this project. Did RISD ask their architectual students, either as indivisuals or as a class project to come up with renderings and proposals for this project, or did they just throw it out to bid? I can't imagine RISD not giving their students the opportunity to work this site. Would they have ever considered building this from a class project?

• 1 month later...

I didn't notice this in the latest posts, but I just got some info in the mail from the RISD Museum saying that the grand opening for the Chace Center will be Sept. 27, 2008. There will be an inaugural exhibition entitled Chihuly at RISD.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I drove by this yesterday at sunset and, for the first time, was starting to feel it. The sunlight was focused on this and Market Square, and the contrast was delicious. The white surface was gleaming and, contrasting with the brick, looked great. It's shaping up quietly to become one of Providence's most interesting buildings. I'm still not impressed with the street level appearance so far, nor with the look of the white facade up close, but from across the river, it looks quite smashing.

- Garris

They tied in the Bank Building with the same brick as the Chace Ctr. and I think it looks horrid, like Chace is eating Bank. They should have used a darker more traditional brick or splurged on stone which is what the Bank Building is made of.

Archived