Memphis' Horizon Towers a go

sleepy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright!!! :D Great sounding project. This is a pretty awesome development and sounds pretty sound to me. It and the Vue on Main will add nicely to the skyline, although I wonder if these towers will have a newer look to them.

I personally like the older look to them. it gives them more 'classy' look to me. especially if people are living there. I think they fit in really well with the current skyline.

Here's a pic of the Horizon Towers. Not sure why the pic has 4 towers. One might be the newlyconverted Rivermark condos.

41737234.jpg

I think something along the lines of glass towers would stand out like a sore thumb in that area.

I personally like the older look to them. it gives them more 'classy' look to me. especially if people are living there. I think they fit in really well with the current skyline.

I agree an older look is better, but I was not sure how they were going to look until Sleepy posted the pics, which jogged my memory of having seen the design before. It think that design will probably look fine and fit in well enough.

I agree an older look is better, but I was not sure how they were going to look until Sleepy posted the pics, which jogged my memory of having seen the design before. It think that design will probably look fine and fit in well enough.

I like the design. This is a wonderful project for Memphis. How for is that located from the downtown area?

I like the design. This is a wonderful project for Memphis. How for is that located from the downtown area?

it pretty much is in dontown.. not like in the central core. but its still inbetween the old and new bridges. more towards I-55.

The article says Riverside drive and N. Carolina rd.

Defining a downtown of a city is really subjective. Imho, more or less what the people living there have traditionally considered downtown.

I grew up in East Memphis in the 60's and the location of those towers would have been considered downtown back then.

The south side of downtown Memphis where the towers will be built was/is pretty much all old warehouses and wholesale businesses, along with the train station, Central Station, all of which gradually merge into the skyscrapers of the CBD.

Downtown Memphis pretty much straggles along the river, from Mud Island in the north to the old bridge in the south--about 2 miles long and 4 blocks wide. The towers would be a good mile south from the heart of the CBD, same as Mud Island on the north.

I've literally walked from an area around Central Station up to the Auction St. Bridge to Mud Island and it's taken a good 30 minutes. Luckily, if you're lazy, there's 2 streetcar routes which connect all that.

Holy God, based on that rendering it looks like there is no street anywhere near this place! Is there anything even close to resembling street frontage? I mean, improvement to the skyline, more residential units and increased density are all good things...but the most important aspect to a vibrant urban neighborhood is to have buildings that actually interact with the street. What good is it going to do the surrounding neighborhood if it is hidden away in some suburban pseudo-park complex?

Holy God, based on that rendering it looks like there is no street anywhere near this place! Is there anything even close to resembling street frontage? I mean, improvement to the skyline, more residential units and increased density are all good things...but the most important aspect to a vibrant urban neighborhood is to have buildings that actually interact with the street. What good is it going to do the surrounding neighborhood if it is hidden away in some suburban pseudo-park complex?

Well, as I understand it, the thing is wedged between Riverside Drive and the river where there are no existing streets, just vacant land.

On the east side of Riverside Drive is the downtown grid. On the west side of Riverside Drive, where it's built is----nothing, just vacant land, a riverbluff, and the river.

So, I'm not sure how the development could be connected to anything since the site is isolated geographically to begin with.

Memphis has a problem with availability of downtown land for new developments. Most of the place is in historic districts which precludes tearing down old stuff. So, developers build new stuff where vacant property exists.

This development was never a lesson in urban planning, just a way to allow rich people to live downtown and have great views of the Mississippi.

• 1 month later...

This is what was once the Holiday Inn-Rivermont? Quite a change indeed...

No. Actually the Rivermark is just north of these towers. The Rivermark (which was the Holiday Inn-Rivermont back in the day) has just converted over to condos instead of apartments. These two towers haven't been built yet.

Well, as I understand it, the thing is wedged between Riverside Drive and the river where there are no existing streets, just vacant land.

On the east side of Riverside Drive is the downtown grid. On the west side of Riverside Drive, where it's built is----nothing, just vacant land, a riverbluff, and the river.

So, I'm not sure how the development could be connected to anything since the site is isolated geographically to begin with.

Memphis has a problem with availability of downtown land for new developments. Most of the place is in historic districts which precludes tearing down old stuff. So, developers build new stuff where vacant property exists.

This development was never a lesson in urban planning, just a way to allow rich people to live downtown and have great views of the Mississippi.

Sleepy,

It is connected via Channel 3 Drive. Channel 3 Drive goes up to a parking area for Martyrs Park along with the TV Station.

Sleepy,

It is connected via Channel 3 Drive. Channel 3 Drive goes up to a parking area for Martyrs Park along with the TV Station.

My reference was to it not being part of the regular street grid of the downtown area.

Sleepy,

I visited Martyr's Park a couple of weekends ago. There are some HUGE houses that border the park. I had no idea that they were even there. I saw the sales office for the Horizon towers too. They claim to have a 3500 sq ft model of one of the condos! I'll bet thats going to be a good selling tool.

I visited Martyr's Park a couple of weekends ago. There are some HUGE houses that border the park. I had no idea that they were even there. I saw the sales office for the Horizon towers too. They claim to have a 3500 sq ft model of one of the condos! I'll bet thats going to be a good selling tool.

The houses there are called Founder's Pointe. It has 52 single family sites. I don't want to know how much they are going for.

Archived