Memphis' Horizon Towers a go

sleepy

Im a senior in structural engineering student at Purdue and even with my lack of experience in actual work i can tell you that kind of change is too much/too expensive and unlikely. sorry. specially if construction has already started. that kind of load change would require new geotechnical and structural engineering on the base, not to mention possible material changes. you cant stack two 16 story buildings on top of each other like that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im a senior in structural engineering student at Purdue and even with my lack of experience in actual work i can tell you that kind of change is too much/too expensive and unlikely. sorry. specially if construction has already started. that kind of load change would require new geotechnical and structural engineering on the base, not to mention possible material changes. you cant stack two 16 story buildings on top of each other like that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
nope I have been down there several times but never seem to remember to bring the camera. There should be a couple of folks on this forum that live/work downtown that would be able to take pictures, hopefully.

• 1 month later...

I drove by on Riverside yesterday and work is really coming along! It seems kind of tight though for two towers. Its also right in the back yard of the expensive homes in Founders Point and the Rivermark. Has anyone heard anything about any of those residents complaining? Great addition to the city, river, & skyline though!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, a crane for a new high-rise bldg in downtown Memphis! Nice to see this. Although this condo is only 16 stories, and does not look to be anything special architecturally, any new high-rises will help improve the verticality and density of downtown Memphis. Its shocking how few true high-rises have been constructed downtown in the last 30 years, especially compared to what has been built in Nashville and what is under construction and planned there right now.

These are great pictures thank you for stopping by and taking those! that is one large crain!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I passed by the construction site yesterday (I'm in town for spring break, btw) on my way to an interview, and it's nice to see that their making progress on the first tower. They're up to the fourth floor now in terms of the structural framing. I just wish that I had a camera so I could've taken pics while I was down there.

I passed by the construction site yesterday (I'm in town for spring break, btw) on my way to an interview, and it's nice to see that their making progress on the first tower. They're up to the fourth floor now in terms of the structural framing. I just wish that I had a camera so I could've taken pics while I was down there.

Archived