Cass Avenue?

Wordsmith

I'm glad they've put in some of that new lighting but are there any long term plans for the stretch of Cass Avenue running north from WSU's campus? Mainly the area where that offbeat bookstore is, and where they're tearing down that tire shop. The whole block seems to be getting ready for something and I have no idea what it could be. But I do like that it's a lot quieter than Woodward and I have gained a preference for that route to New Center from Midtown and that's why I noticed the changes.

WS

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the whole New Amsterdam area has plans for major building conversions. The New Amsterdam Loft project (Burroughs and Woodward) is already in progress, and the old stretch along Second Street near the train viaduct will soon go "under the knife".

I'll have to do some campus research to see if the university has anything planned for the line along Cass specifically. The Ford Fwy overpass offers a good canvas for a gateway into what is currently Techtown on Burroughs and Amsterdam.

I DO know the definition of a campus tech center involves tech and research institutions integrated into a neighborhood of housing. In otherwords, the two work in conjunction to form what Wayne State calls "Techtown".

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed Wordsmith,

That area (cleaned and developed well) could be a showcase neighborhood. We frequently clean the area in an attempt to shine a light in the area. Unfortunately it is going to take more folks who are willing to join us to really make a difference. That area has so much potential but so far DetroitBazaar has been unable to clean up consistently- the homeless and desperate tend to make it hard. We aren't blaming many of the poor and lonely souls who call it home but unless we can gather about 100 people one day, there isn't much we can do with only 2-30 volunteers. We'll keep on trying to find a way though. You are right, there is no reason why it can't be a place to be for all!

Peace to you and Detroit

Indeed, get them to join DetroitBazaar in our efforts. Instead of wining and dining at the Whitney and littering their Motor City Brewery cups, why not let their 2000 members join us in a real cleanup. Any one here who wants to join, feel free to email us. We work hard, Synergy- and we respect what they do tends to venture into the high society venues. You can find us at the Bronx enjoying a brew after a day of cleaning up. Before the "get in the game" festivities, we were the ones out there cleaning and building bridges with business owners. I hope, and with your help, we can get an army out to clean and rebuild the area of south Cass. We will soon put our money where our mouths are, but it sure would be nice to have a pleasant area to call home, no? We've tried to contact them both on our blog and via email. They only seem to care about publicity. Tell me I'm wrong and most importantly, tell them to join us!

Peace to Detroit

Come on everybody! Is this not the place to help a city out? Synergy and the like are great, I agree. DetroitBazaar took part in the SuperMakeover today and used our paintbrushes, work ethic, and garbage bags to help much needed areas of the places people will actually see when they come to town. Why don't some of you join us in our weekly cleanups with a splash of fun? Contact us directly at [email protected] if you are interested. I appreciate the architecture and photos of cityscapes too- been known to shoot a few photos myself- but perhaps the army can start here as well as with Synergy and Getinthegame. Come on Detroit, join us throughout the year to make our city a better place.

Peace to you and peace to Detroit

Archived