About North Mecklenberg

chocoholic

I am moving to the the Charlotte area; my new job will be in Salisbury, NC for 1 year and then will shift to the University area. I am looking outside of Charlotte and am considering Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson. Does any body have any input about these communities? I am a black physician and I was wondering how tolerant these places are;I am also wondering about the quality of life afforded by the areas. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am moving to the the Charlotte area; my new job will be in Salisbury, NC for 1 year and then will shift to the University area. I am looking outside of Charlotte and am considering Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson. Does any body have any input about these communities? I am a black physician and I was wondering how tolerant these places are;I am also wondering about the quality of life afforded by the areas. Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about these areas besides that they are up-scale! Where you are moving from....?

I will tell you right off the commute from Lake Norman (Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson) to Salisbury will not be an easy one and it is not expected to get better anytime soon. You might want to consider a home somewhere off I-85. I think as far as being a Black professional, you should be more than fine anywhere in Mecklenburg county or in Iredell near Lake Norman. However while there are a few upscale communities in Cabarrus and Rowan counties, I really would not suggest moving to either one of these places as most of it is pretty intolerant in my opinion.

Just to chime in, I have African-American professional friends in Concord (Cabarrus Co.) who love it. I really wouldn't know either way as I don't spend too much time there. I do know that the University Area is really popular for lots of people with mixed backgrounds, races, and income levels.

I will tell you right off the commute from Lake Norman (Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson) to Salisbury will not be an easy one and it is not expected to get better anytime soon. You might want to consider a home somewhere off I-85. I think as far as being a Black professional, you should be more than fine anywhere in Mecklenburg county or in Iredell near Lake Norman. However while there are a few upscale communities in Cabarrus and Rowan counties, I really would not suggest moving to either one of these places as most of it is pretty intolerant in my opinion.

Im gonna have to chime in as well on this one. I live in Concord and have family in Harrisburg in upscale areas. There are dozens of African-American professionals living in both my hood and in Harrisburg. Its no secret the farther you get away from Charlotte the more conservative, but having talked to minority families on my street and other places they have expressed nothing but good things about living in Cabarrus.

i think because you will be working in salisbury and then university city that you should look somewhere on the 85 corridor, either in charlotte or cabarrus county. but if you enjoy the lake amenity, a cornelius/davidson location wouldn't have a terrible commute to salisbury during the intervening year.

I have little personal input on the racism questions...but i know there has been a huge national trend of blacks moving back to the south and many articles i have read suggest that the remaining racism in many parts in the south is much more benign than in the pacific and northeast. From what I understand, the charlotte area had a relatively progressive stance on race relations in the previous generations, so that might mean you are positively surprised compared to new jersey. i sure hope so.

Living in Salisbury wouldn't be the end of the world, either. A beautiful town with a lively arts scene. I would stay away from the University Area. Housing is not holding its value around there. Some houses (resale) have been sitting on the market for nearly a year. I have heard good things about the Eastfield Road/Prosperity Church Road area. And as far as I know (and am concerned) race plays no role in most areas around here. In Charlotte, if you can afford it, by all means you're welcome to live in it. It's all about the almighty dollar, not the color of your skin or the content of your character (apologies to MLK).

why does race even have to be an issue? when I go to the doctor I could care less as to the color of the physician's skin. quite frankly I'm only concerned with his education.

Because he is asking how a Black physician is going to be treated by the local population as a member of the community, not as a Dr. It is a legitimate concern as I firmly believe that if he were to move to Rowan or Cabarrus county that he isn't going to receive an invitation to come and join the local Country Club or to put his kids in the private schools there. Given the number of Confederate flags on display outside the immediate metro, I would say this is a legitimate concern.

In regards to the commute from the Lake, it will easily take an hour to get there from Huntersville as the only road to I-85 N from here is the heavily traveled Hwy73 to Concord which is a 2 lane road and is extremely busy during commuting hours. You have to get behind school buses, construction trucks, soccer moms, etc all on this long 2 land highway. And once you get to 85, it's still another 25 miles to downtown salisbury on a very busy and overloaded interstate.

Archived