Viridian Tower 90% Sold

Hankster

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news. Looks like the Viridian is going to be a poster boy for the potential downtown has for future residential projects. Not like thats a reality that clearly hasn't already been noticed with all the residential projects in the works. Nashville is seeing a lot of good things happen, and its just great to see it all happen so fast.

Movin' right along it seems. The building itself is becoming quite a statement in itself and it's only half way up.

Oh, Hank, did you make it up here this weekend? Football could have had a better outcome, but hopefully you had some fun. That's the important thing.

I was at the game. It was a pretty good drubbing we got. Really hot too! But yeah, I did have fun. I went to my niece's wedding at Holy Rosary Church in Donelson, and a reception at the Springhouse Clubhouse after that. It was a blast!

Great news. Looks like the Viridian is going to be a poster boy for the potential downtown has for future residential projects. Not like thats a reality that clearly hasn't already been noticed with all the residential projects in the works. Nashville is seeing a lot of good things happen, and its just great to see it all happen so fast.

Right.

I remember reading an article in the Tennessean no more than two years ago, which lamented the fact that there were very, very few residential units existing or planned for downtown Nashville. I recall there was something on the order of only 700 units downtown at that time.

From the tone of the article, downtown Nashville was pretty much a desert for residential development back then--a mere two years ago.

The city and the newspaper were calling for studies to address that "shortfall".

So downtown Nashville has not only tremendously increased its urban housing core in 18 months or so, but has done so exponentially. It's almost like it came out of nowhere and just blossomed, whereas other places did it more long-term.

Imho, whatever studies the city did to address the issue had little to do with the boom.

It really is something to behold. The only problem now is that we're running out of old buildings. Sigh.

It seems that many of the old structures are so narrow that, unless combined with an adjoining property, getting the old buildings retro-fitted to meet codes is tough to do.

I guess we'll just have to settle for the new stuff. Hmmm, okay.

It really is something to behold. The only problem now is that we're running out of old buildings. Sigh.

It seems that many of the old structures are so narrow that, unless combined with an adjoining property, getting the old buildings retro-fitted to meet codes is tough to do.

I guess we'll just have to settle for the new stuff. Hmmm, okay.

I don't think there's any reason old structures, narrow or not, can't be readapted for contemporary use. It's done all over.

I read an article recently about the fact that some of the buildings downtown are so narrow that in order to conform to the ADA, latest fire codes, stairway emergency exits and such that much of the living space is gone before the conversion can occur. Granted, this isn't the case with all of them, and there were examples cited which I don't remember. If the building doesn't have the floors, the economic viability of the project can suffer.

And besides, narrow or not, most of them are already spoken for it seems. The old Utopia hotel is one that is giving developers fits because of its limited width. They're re-doing plans to make it work. I certainly hope they succeed, it's one of the most attractive of the old buildings left downtown.

'Dave'

Where is the Utopia Hotel Building located? I think I remember seeing some collateral material about the development months ago but I never walked to see the progress.

Thanks

Its funny that building came up today because this morning when I rode by it I sat there for a while looking at it wondering how old it acutally is and what its future plans are. I take a look at it every time I ride by but this morning I took an extra long look. Its a neat structure.

Archived