Birmingham Coffee House

Blazer85

Alabama is full of natural beauty.. I'm new to the state and for the most part it's really clean.. especially coming from Louisiana.... but, on my drive home today I witnessed something very disturbing. I was behind a car on Mt. Olive road and noticed one of the guys in the back seat of the car kept looking behind and checking me out.. after the second check he started tossing out trash out of the car as they drove down the road... that pretty much enraged me...I wrote down their tag #.. WILL THAT DO ME ANY GOOD to report it? Ive lived off of Mt. Olive road for 2 weeks now.. I'm already tired of picking up whisky bottles beer bottles and fast food wrappers....

disheartened new guy

Craig

I live in Mt. Olive and my grandmother lived on Mt. Olive Road. She was always having to pick up trash.... usually just small stuff, but it adds up when everyone throws out a tiny piece of trash. There are some fines for littering around the area, but I don't know how easy it would be to prosecute. It'd probably have to be a pretty major violation (ie, bags of trash) for them to be encouraged to do anything about it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OmegaCon in Birmingham

March 14-16

It seems that the Sci-Fi fanbase here in Birmingham is trying to get something larger than the DragonCon sci-fi festival. At their website, http://www.omegacon.us/, and their celebrity guest list is pretty long. I'm not that big of a sci-fi, but a lot of those names I recognize like Kevin Sorbo from "Hercules" and George Takei from "Star Trek" & "Heroes". It will be held @ the Sheraton Birmingham hotel @ the BJCC. Also in attendance will be some scientists to discuss the major connection to some of the respective fields of study and science fiction.

Regardless, this will be quite interesting to see and a great exposure to the young folks and "young at heart" sci-fi fans and other highly educated people and economic benefit to our great city.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "IN Birmingham" campaign which was announced back in February has said that their "IN" spots for tourists, visitors, and new residents. The list of "IN" spots will be officially announced in August after the results of the summer nomination process. Go to the website www.inbirmingham.org/, 50 small "IN" boxes in area restaurants, stores, and business, and there will also be 4 giant boxes at Colonial Brookwood Village, McWane Science Center, and Regions-Harbert Plaza. Another one will be at all the major spring and summer events like Schaeffer's Crawfish Boil, Do Dah Day, Vulcan Birthday Bash, the WZZK Downtown Throwdown music festival, and CityStages.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Mayor Langford was arrested by federal agents today and pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him. Langford is named in 60 counts of the indictment, and if convicted would be in prison for a very long time.

Birmingham finally gets a mayor that tries to get things done, and then the guy has this hanging over him. Birmingham deserves better.

Mayor Langford was arrested by federal agents today and pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him. Langford is named in 60 counts of the indictment, and if convicted would be in prison for a very long time.

Birmingham finally gets a mayor that tries to get things done, and then the guy has this hanging over him. Birmingham deserves better.

My mom still lives in Birmingham and I talked with her today.....she wants to see him gone. Both her and my many friends in Birmingham think the guy is a joke. He plays loose and fast with tax payers money, in their opinion, and it comes back to bite everyone. I was living in Birmingham during his whole Visionland debacle, so that is all I have to go on as for as my opinion of him. I'm neither a fan or a foe of Langford.

What is the indictment for?

As soon as Larry was elected as mayor I said it would be a matter of time before he was arrested.. it happened today.. I truly believe Larry saw it coming long ago.. it's the reason he's been so darn busy. I know I'm not liked a whole lot on these boards for my conservative views.. but I TOLD YOU GUYS SO

I thought it was really sad when Larry said the reasons for his arrest were because he was a black democrat... seriously

^Political ideology is irrelevant in this case. County officials of both parties have been convicted over the shenanigans of the past few years.

Notice to everyone: off-topic discussions may be controversial at times, but UP is not a smack board. Keep the discussions civil and respectful.

As soon as Larry was elected as mayor I said it would be a matter of time before he was arrested.. it happened today.. I truly believe Larry saw it coming long ago.. it's the reason he's been so darn busy. I know I'm not liked a whole lot on these boards for my conservative views.. but I TOLD YOU GUYS SO

I thought it was really sad when Larry said the reasons for his arrest were because he was a black democrat... seriously

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...