Coleman Boulevard Revitalization

MikesLogic

Talks of making the area much more pedestrian friendly with more focus on infill(specifically mixed use,) possibly allowing exceptions to their caps on development for this area. This is much needed for a city that is expanding so rapidly with sprawl. I am pleased to see they are taking an interest in this kind of development.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/Default.aspx?newsID=42784

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To that I say only this: Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam suffodiant!

lol

nothing faulty about my logic though ;)

atleast I hope not :unsure:

I thought I heard at one time that Mt. Pleasant was attempting to create a true downtown for itself. Anyone know anything about this?

I had graphics of their plans for Coleman Boulevard from a few years back but I'm not sure where they went. It's a small DT if it can be called that. Mount Pleasant is just so sprawly, these stretches of road(Johnnie Dodds[uS17] and Coleman Boulevards) will be the main business areas.

Oh you Catholics... :P

I thought I heard at one time that Mt. Pleasant was attempting to create a true downtown for itself. Anyone know anything about this?

That's not exactly right...the old-time residents of the city have always referenced the Shem Creek and Coleman area as the central part of Mt. Pleasant, or "downtown". As a matter of fact, many historic houses are located in nearby neighborhoods. Yet, there is no definitive DT...that is reserved for DT Charleston. Anyway, I agree with Mike; revitalization of the Coleman Blvd. area is badly needed. I'm very pleased with some of the specifics of the project such as burying utility lines and installing decorative lighting. Also, allowing infill developments will definitely increase density...and many people would love to live in that area, for sure.

Archived