Top-10 Actionable Issues Facing Providence?

Cotuit

Can anybody give me a link to the actual law that bans overnight parking. I have scoured the code of ordinances and the city charter and have only found a listing for the fines associated with parking violations. If I keep getting parking tickets, I am going to be forced to move from the city I love. Where am I supposed to park? Once I park there, any chance of the roads not being a sheet of ice so I don't bust my rear end walking to my home. I truly think the priorities of this city are screwed up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

loved this article.

especially when it states that we need a new (im guessing younger) generation to stand up against the NImbys

"Rhode Island needs a new generation of leaders who will focus on growing the economy. It's no mystery what has to be done...."

go read that article.... it is A MUST.

this is loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg overdue. Providence might be the single worst city I've ever driven in for traffic light timing.

North Main St. actually works opposite the other lights (about 150 feet in each direction). Three out of four times you drive down north main st., you ahve to stop at all three lights...

Absolutely!! North Main has the worst traffic light timing I've ever seen. It's impossible not to be caught by those lights.

Gano St on the East Side is also pretty bad, and I think I've been stopped by a red light every single time at every single intersection on Wickenden St.

While we're all bemoaning the lack of coordination leading to congestion, remember that there are "traffic calming" measures being put into place all over the city with our tax dollars...

- Garris

Absolutely!! North Main has the worst traffic light timing I've ever seen. It's impossible not to be caught by those lights.

Gano St on the East Side is also pretty bad, and I think I've been stopped by a red light every single time at every single intersection on Wickenden St.

While we're all bemoaning the lack of coordination leading to congestion, remember that there are "traffic calming" measures being put into place all over the city with our tax dollars...

- Garris

how many traffic lights are there on wickenden? the only ones i can think of are brook st, benefit st, and maybe one at the end at gano. they don't seem to be close enough (other than brook and benefit) to really be sync'd.

my problem is with the lights on smith... the lights at orms, chalkstone, and oakland... they need to be sync'd desperately. and then there's my issue with the light at river... it's a timer, yet in the middle of the night, there's far less likely someone coming down river than smith, yet i always get stuck at that light.

how many traffic lights are there on wickenden? the only ones i can think of are brook st, benefit st, and maybe one at the end at gano. they don't seem to be close enough (other than brook and benefit) to really be sync'd.

my problem is with the lights on smith... the lights at orms, chalkstone, and oakland... they need to be sync'd desperately. and then there's my issue with the light at river... it's a timer, yet in the middle of the night, there's far less likely someone coming down river than smith, yet i always get stuck at that light.

The fact is that it's just pathetic everywhere. North Main sucks. Gano sucks crossing Angell and Waterman...and yet each of Angell and Waterman also suck if you are travelling them. Coming over Atwells or Broad St. across 95 is ridiculously stupidly bad. Memorial Drive is a joke. Elmwood Avenue going into Cranston. I mean, basically everywhere.

Here's another example.

I noticed they added a left turn signal from North Main onto Rochambeau. They invested money to change the island to allow a little left turn lane and they added the left turn to the signal routine...This is great except that other than rush hour, there is no need for the left turn signal, and if you are taking that left turn, you now have to wait a full cycle of the light before you can take it even if there is no traffic anywhere else in the intersection. Invest the $100 to get someone to take 5 minutes and program these things correctly, or don't put them in at all.

Gano sucks crossing Angell and Waterman...and yet each of Angell and Waterman also suck if you are travelling them.

LoL, Every time I am traveling down Gano, I always try to get to the Angell light while it is still green after the Waterman light turns..........it is freakin impossible.........If anyone has ever done it let me know. Just funny to hear someone else say this as it is a little game I play everytime I am on Gano st.

I don't own a car, but every so often I rent one or borrow one. A few months ago I borrowed my boyfriend's brothers car to go to stripsprawlhellland in Seekonk. On the way back I took the Henderson Bridge to Angell. I made every light from East Providence down Angell, across Steeple, through Kennedy Plaza, past the Westin and up West Exchange to Dean Street. It was amazing!

I worte the Parks Dept yesterday about cleaning up the Park Sidewalks, specifically Dexter Training Ground park.

Interesting response detailing the level of importance for snow removal. Maybe everyone knows this already, not sure. (I am surprised to get a response at all actually!)

"This is in response to your email to the Office of Neighborhood Services regarding the above-mentioned park. Please understand that the Parks Department assists in snow operations for the City, so we first work on streets, then the next priority is bus stops, then we move to sidewalks.

There are 115 parks that need sidewalks cleared, and between Friday

I don't expect all the sidewalks within all the parks to be cleared, what I do expect though is the sidewalks along city streets abutting parks to be cleared. It is inexcusable that the sidewalk along Atwells abutting Garibaldi Park is uncleared and remains uncleared all winter, every winter.

I understand the city is strapped for cash, but people will not live, work, play, and shop here if they cannot navigate the city's streets. If I was asked to recommend a restaurant in Providence right now, I would say, "don't go to Federal Hill." This is the fault of uncleared sidewalks belonging to the state (Atwells Bridge), the City (Garibaldi Park), and numerous private property owners, including the restaurants themselves.

PS: I fell on ice yesterday infront of the Convention Center. The rest of the year I see cleaning crews outside the convention center all the time, are these people not qualified to remove snow? The storm was last Friday, there should not be any snow or ice whatsoever infront of the convention center at this point.

Also yesterday, I walked to the mall along Finance Way. When walking beside the vacant AmEx Building the sidewalks were clear, when I got to Station Park, the sidewalk was a sheet of ice. I crossed to the Waterplace side and the sidewalk was clear immediately infront of Bella Vista, however, just past their door (past the area where a car being valeted would unload) the sidewalk became an icesheet again. I tried to walk in the road, but the entire southern lane was also an icesheet. It is impossble to walk from the train station to the mall via Finance Way and it is impossible for someone to walk from the mall to dinner at Bella Vista. If the city wants to discourage commerce, they're doing a bang up job.

Almost all of the sidewalks ringing Dexter Park abutt city streets. I too, dont believe the sidewalks in the parks should get as much attention. I just found it interesting to get a reply.

Hell. my street isnt even plowed yet.

My street isnt plowed yet either. When we get a major snowstorm we frewently dont get our first plow pass until late the next afternoon. Ive had to miss work a few times because of it.

One of my favorites was a couple of years ago when they started towing cars on our street due to the parking band. They were forcing residents to pay the tow truck driver $50 to not tow their cars even though they hadnt been hooked up yet (this is with a cop watching over the procedings). They forced our neighbor to pay $50 not to tow his car that he had momentarily pulled out of his drive way so he could shovel. He was standing right there.

Good times!

Liam

so I'm going to guess that travelling Providence today isn't going to be all that amusing.

My house in the bucket has about a 1/4 inch sheet of ice with the rain falling on top of it, and that was on my previously cleared walkways. I can't imagine what this will be like for morning pedestrians on the uncleared sidewalks of PVD.

so I'm going to guess that travelling Providence today isn't going to be all that amusing.

My house in the bucket has about a 1/4 inch sheet of ice with the rain falling on top of it, and that was on my previously cleared walkways. I can't imagine what this will be like for morning pedestrians on the uncleared sidewalks of PVD.

i bet it won't be all too bad in an hour or 2. it's fairly warm outside, above freezing i believe. it should all melt... all the people downtown for the bars tonight will be fun though... walking around outside drunk after they close... i should go watch. :)

For those in the Wayland Square area who are interested (Soren, I know you've got to be out there somewhere):

Wayland Square Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting:

Tuesday December 20, 2005

7:00 pm - 8:15 pm

This event repeats on the third Tuesday of every month, until Tuesday May 23, 2006.

Event Location: School One, Slater & University, Prov.

Street: 220 University Avenue (Slater Ave. entrance) Providence 02906

Notes:

Usually held in the library on the bottom floor (basement). One block from Lloyd Ave. & Blackstone Blvd. Open to everyone (except for a very few confidential decisions).

Let's so and have some more urban viewpoints there!

- Garris

Archived