Top-10 Actionable Issues Facing Providence?

Cotuit

OK, let me tackle y opinion on signage for a moment.

First, though this is really the signage I think the city needs to be worrying itself about, I think everyone is aware of mine and Garris' desire for more retail signage. If their is a sign law holding that back, get rid of it, now! There was also talk of some Times Square-esque signage somewhere in another thread, I think that falls under Garris' 'vision' comments. Wherever the entertainment and/or threatre districts end up being, we should think about encouraging some exotic signage.

That out of the way, the pressing issue is street signage. I think we have two adequate to good systems that are in embrionic stage and just need to be deployed throughout the city.

The first is the street name signs seen predominately through Downcity and also up on North Main. The ones with the large color band on top denoting the neighbourhood and large clearly legible street name below. I think these are great. I do have a few issues with them though. First, they aren't being deployed everywhere. Second, they seem to be a bit cheaply made, there are numerous instances of bent ones around the city, notable near the trolley stop in Kennedy Plaza at East Approach, which is one of the most visible areas in the city to visitors. The signs need to be made out of a bit thicker stock, or have some sort of arm to brace them. Third, in many places where they have been deployed, the older smaller signs have not been removed, notably at North Main and Waterman/Washington, also at Atwells and Broadway among other areas. So the job is really only half done, the old signs become visual pollution, they should be taken down by the same crew that posts the new ones (one would imagine in Rhode Island that the sign putter-uppers are in a different union than the sign taker-downers :rolleyes: ). Fourth, some of the most recently erected ones along North/South Main near RISD are only one sided facing the direction of traffic. This is fine for cars, but street signs are also for pedestrians, they are large and clear enough that with good eyes, one could make them out from a block away. But if one is walking against traffic one must walk all the way to the intersection, walk around the sign and look up at it to see what street it is. Fifth, many do not include the cross street, only the side street, they need both at every intersection. Sixth, I agree that the block numbers would make a good addition to these signs. I would say to cut costs, only do this moving forward though, then when currently deployed signs end their lives, replace them with ones with the block numbers on them.

The other good signage we already have is the green trailblazer signs with the half-circle neighbourhood information on top. Some issues with those... The neighbourhood information at the top should jive with the street name signs neighbourhood information and color. There are some things like the state house on some of them, I don't know if that is supposed to be a visual cue on how to get to the state house or what, but I think the neighbourhood you are currently in should be the information represented at the top of those signs. I stated elsewhere my fetish for European style trailblazer signage, unfortunately these green signs are not quite that, however we have some deployed, they do the job, and we should continue with the existing design rather than trying to rebuild the wheel, and spending more money to replace these relatively new signs.

These signs are up, now the job needs to be finished. At the meeting I mentioned the one on Memorial Blvd. that points people up Washington/Waterman to Wayland Square. Great, except to get to Wayland Square via Waterman you eventually have to take a left. An astute person would parse that one would take a left on Wayland Avenue, but I think that's a bit to ask for a visitor or new resident, there needs to be another sign, otherwise people will end up on the other side of the Henderson Bridge, still wondering where Wayland Square is. Personally, I first found Wayland Square by knowing generally where it was on the East Side and looking on a map to see where the streets came together in a square like fashion, not a very good way to maneuver the city, especially if one is not good with maps or does not have a map.

Then there is the problem of outdated trailblazers. There is a sign on Sabin Street in front of the Dunk that actually has a more European look that I like, with each destination having it's own little sign. Problem is two of the destinations, one is Weybosset Hill. Weybosset Hill? Hands up, who knows what Weybosset Hill is? Who knows what it is and feels there would ever be a need for anyone else to know? If you don't know, it is the intersection of Weybosset/Broad and Empire, and it's big attraction is a sad parking deck (hopefully that will change someday, but for now...). So why is that sign there? It would be better saying 'Jewelry District' since that is a place one might actually here about in conversation and might actually want to go to. The other outdated destination is Westminster Mall. Westminster Mall was Westminster Street when it was pedestrians only, which was in the mid-80s?? I swear when I first moved here and saw that sign I thought there was some sort of shopping mall on Westminster Street and hiked up there to check it out to see what kind of stores they had. Boy was I dissappointed. :blush:

There's something to be said for the signs that ctownmikey mentioned, the big green ones over Memorial with the decorative edging. It would be nice to see those scaled down and put on posts to be the official trailblazer signs. But the ornamentation is an expense I don't feel would be well spent.

Another sign issue, is places with far too many signs, or too many individual sign posts that could be combined with a few signs on one post. This visual and physical clutter is something Duany touched on during his charrette. Then we have the other sign of the coin, places that really need a no parking or do not enter or one way sign and there aren't any to be seen.

This sign issue is huge, and I kind of think that the city needs to hire a sign czar to tackle it similar to the parking czar who was recently hired. The entire city needs to be assessed and catalogued for signage, where is there too much, where is there not enough, where do trailblazers need to be... Years of neglect make for huge projects later, it's something that desperately needs to be tackled, I think everyone on this forum who is new to Providence has brought it up as an issue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5: Universal Wireless:

Doesn't this make sense? We're one of the smallest, densest cities in the US. We're chocked full of universities, hospitals, and new high density developments. Let's get universal wireless for Providence. Look at all the tremendous press Philly is getting for even considering this right now. We'd beat Boston and maybe every other New England city to the punch in an area in which Providence has no real reputation for strength (high-tech). Our struggling school systems would benefit, as would Providence's high areas of poverty...

- Garris

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051005/...itywifinetworks

I think Providence would really benefit from it

My top three easy to implement ways to Providence Posterity:

1. Overnight onstreet parking. I mean c'mon....

2. Comprehensive streetscape improvement. Especially sidewalks!

3. Get the new trashcans distributed immediately, everywhere in the city. This will improve both the rat AND trash problem.

Oh, there is much much more...I'm just dying to expound on this, but no time!

(and here is an additional plug for Inclusionary Zoning. GET....IT....DONE.)

THE WBNA does sponsor a cleanup of Dexter park a couple times a year. Still, it could be expanded to all year events if an "adopt-a park" type program was initiated as suggested.

Providence has excellent bones, its the skin that wrinkled and ragged. Clean that up and you expose the greatness. One of the reasons my wife and I moved here is due to the potential this city has.

Unfortunately the city does seem neglected and run down from an aesthetic perspective.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051005/...itywifinetworks

I think Providence would really benefit from it

I know Hartford and maybe some other CT cities have been toying with the idea. So I think more than likely Hartford will be first in New England since our Mayor has made it an agenda issue. I think all cities should have this technology personally. I hope your political leadership is considering it because it can help close the digital divide among urban poor and affluent suburbanites and is also a huge selling point for any city, especially geographically small New England cities like ours where it would be so cheap and easy to develop and deploy city-wide.

Hartford Advocate Article on Wireless Internet Access

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/384/

has anyone heard anything new about this??

last I can find was this May 4, 2005 article.

Maybe Thom knows something?? :)

This is fantastic news! Seems like they know what they are doing too. Good signs include studying Philadelphia's efforts. I especially like their proposed solution of next-generation-super-high-speed-long-distance WIMAX coupled with today's widely support WIFI --terrific!

Also, the "state-wide" aspect could, if handled right, generate a lot of national press. Really gets you thinking about the advantages of being a small, dense place.

Long live the City-State!

PVDJack

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/384/

has anyone heard anything new about this??

last I can find was this May 4, 2005 article.

Maybe Thom knows something?? :)

I know a little. First, the city is moving to create wireless for all emergency personnel in the city by the end of this year or early 06. This will allow police/fire quick access to info. We are looking at how we can build this into a city wide system. I'm not involved in this but was told that we are having problems with the commercial suppliers (Verizon etc.).

The state, through RIEDC is committed to a wireless RI and are working hard to achieve. Have not discussed with them recently but they beleive that this is essential to propmote RI and are committed to achieving it. I'll see if I can get more details.

EDIT: One last thing about parks. I have seen more parks workers in Garibaldi Park on Federal Hill this summer than last. But wait, how many did I see last summer, oh that's right, none. I'm sure they were there last year, but I'm seeing them weekly now. The park up by Rialto Furniture on Atwells on the other hand... Well let's just say a rusted car on cinder blocks would improve it at this point.

Go one more street down to Vinton and there is a lot behind the dry cleaners that actually DOES have cars up on blocks. Its a disgrace. And you're right, the little "park" across from Rialto isn't much different.

My top three easy to implement ways to Providence Posterity:

1. Overnight onstreet parking. I mean c'mon....

2. Comprehensive streetscape improvement. Especially sidewalks!

3. Get the new trashcans distributed immediately, everywhere in the city. This will improve both the rat AND trash problem.

Oh, there is much much more...I'm just dying to expound on this, but no time!

(and here is an additional plug for Inclusionary Zoning. GET....IT....DONE.)

I just want to expand on these a little bit...

1. Overnight onstreet parking - I have written at length in this thread (which seemed to be usurped by the other one with the same title. Maybe it can be merged):

Overnight Onstreet Parking

Here is a blurb from that: Providence currently does not allow overnight onstreet parking. When I moved to Providence a year and a half ago, this was shocking to me. It is the only significantly urban city that I know, other than a few oddball municipalities like Brookline, MA, that does this.

In my opinion, allowing overnight onstreet parking will solve many problems affecting livability in Providence's neighborhoods:

-currently people pave over every available inch of their yard to accomodate cars. This exacerbates the very real problem in Providence of lack of tree canopy cover and greenspace. Providence is currently LAST in tree canopy cover of any city its size, and I think the parking issue is a big part of it.

-traffic calming- onstreet parking in an orderly, regulated fashion, will narrow streets, which will naturally slow down traffic in our neighborhoods, without the need for elaborate traffic calming devices we now use, like speedbumps, intersection islands, and curb bumpouts.

-housing- lowering the offstreet parking requirement in the zoning ordinance would encourage higher density construction, which in turn will create more housing units and keep the market stable. The classic triple-decker, or even a 3-unit victorian, is not allowed under current zoning because of the off-street parking requirement.

2. Comprehensive streetscape improvement. Especially sidewalks!: This is a no brainer. The City of Providence is ridiculously inadequate in the the maintenance of the streetscape. The former "City of Trees" is no longer. More like the city of cracked and broken concrete and asphalt. I know there is money on the way for street improvement, but there needs to be a comprehensive plan for improving the ENTIRE streetscape, not just the streets themselves. And it MUST include neighborhood streets, not just major thoroughfares.

Its truly embarrassing.

3. Get the new trashcans distributed immediately, EVERYWHERE in the city. This will improve both the rat AND trash problem: another no-brainer. We've been talking trash (hehe aaaah) about Hartford all over here, but they did this first, and its very successful. How can we let Hartford of all cities be more innovative in this or any area?

Of course, the trash container distribution really needs to be combined with a multi-pronged plan that includes enforcement AND education. The information really is not out there, particularly in the minority populations.

An aside to both #2 and #3 is streetsweeping. It is laughable, and they might as well not do it all. Worthless right now. Its happened TWICE the entire season from April to November. In Somerville MA, a not that prosperous town, it has been done FOURTEEN times over the same period. Another embarrassment.

While the wireless internet stuff is interesting and probably good for marketing the city, I think we really need to focus on providing basic city NECESSITIES that this city is completely failing at providing first.

While the wireless internet stuff is interesting and probably good for marketing the city, I think we really need to focus on providing basic city NECESSITIES that this city is completely failing at providing first.

Absolutely, eltron- fancy stuff like wireless internet is way down the priority list, when we don't get the basic services any other city provides, like getting our sidewalks fixed, trash picked up, streets swept, and parks and open space taken care of. And this parking b.s. is positively primitive.

Prioritizing wireless internet and other shiny stuff to market the city, but not taking care of the basic quality of life issues, is like putting a coat of gold on a pile of crap. No one will be fooled for more than a minute. (Not to say our fair city is crap, but I think you get my point.)

here's my thoughts and replies to some stuff i read...

first, wireless... i just noticed the new dunkin donuts across from lasalle academy is offering wireless... do others have it? just get all of them to offer it and pretty much the whole city is covered... :lol:

second... snow removal... this is a problem. i've only lived in providence for about 2 yaers (actually 1 year 10 months). that means i did my apartment hunting in december... that was a god-awful experience trying to drive around the city. i had to back down a couple streets and floor it to get up them without spinning the tires because there was packed snow on them (not ice mind you). i've also noticed the problem on the sidewalks. ENFORCE IT!!! and not just store owners and absentee landlords... but homeowners too. i live in elmhurst. i can walk to work because i work at PC, but unless i want my pants soaked and covered in snow, it's not worth it in the winter because the homeowners here don't shovel (i'm talking west of the college where they're mostly single family homes). granted, there's a lot of elderly, but still... i do my part to help my neighbors when it snows (including my senior citizen landlady who lives next door to me).

third... signs. again, when i first moved here, it was nearly impossible to get around, especially during my apartment hunt. there's a severe lack of street signs, not just downtown, but everywhere, the east side especially. most of the major roads have signs, but none of the other ones do. what's up with that? and make them easy to read. replace the old bent signs that you can't read anymore, there's too many. new highly reflective signs are important.

fourth... parking/ticketing. there's an overnight parking ban... either enforce it or get rid of it. there's a car that seems to never move (ok, it's an SUV) always parked on my street, not far from stop sign, in fact, close enough where you can't easily see around it if people are turning onto the street. it's there day and night. i'm tempted to call the police and get it ticketed. but i don't live in a high traffic neighborhood, so i doubt the police ever come by here (although i saw one truck ticketed after being left overnight, but this one still wasn't... perhaps it's the handicap sticker?). anyways, get rid of the parking ban... in fact, if it causes that much of a problem turn the narrower streets into one ways. and ban parking a certain distance from corners and put signs to show it.

fifth... street sweeping. this is horrible. my street has yet to be swept from last winter. granted, the rain washed away all the sand and salt, but still... it's terrible. once a year is atrociuos.

sixth... traffic signals and crossing signs. first, why have a crossing guard on street corners with working crosswalk lights? second, why do they allow kids to cross when the sign says "don't walk"? why not teach the kids to only cross when it says "walk" and assist them in crossing from turning traffic? third... syncronize the lights! fourth... get rid of lights that work on timers so i don't get stuck at a red light on smith st at 4am when there's no traffic on any of the side streets. put them all on sensors. fifth... TURN ON THE LIGHTS NEXT TO THE MALL PARKING GARAGE!! and a side note to this one... don't have random lights in the city flashing yellow for no apparent reason, people don't stop at flashing red lights.

seventh... more police presence out and about. i have seen an increase around elmhurst (not my area specifically, but around PC and the streets off eaton between huxley and douglas where the students live). get the police to enforce littering laws and other simple stuff. if they see garbage all over lawns for days, fine the residents (or landlords who will then charge their residents).

eighth... well marked bike lanes on at least the major roads... this is a very bikeable city, but the drivers make it much less so...

ninth... enforcing traffic laws. people speeding, pulling illegal moves, etc. there's never cops in the right place at the right time... there need to be more out and about. but this needs to start with the cops that turn their lights on just so they can get thruogh a busy traffic light and get to dunkin donuts more quickly (i've seen this on more than one occasion here). enforce stop signs. i'm not a fan of the camera enforced traffic lights, but it works in the locations they're placed. and as somoene said... blocking the box. if there's traffic ahead of you and you can't get to the other side of the intersection, dno't move regardless of who's beeping at you.

i think that's all i have to say... i like the idea of a park management "company" with a designated park/park area (maybe one per neighborhood giving roger williams it's own?). one thing i don't notice much of is street vendors (like the hot dog and peanut guys in new york). granted i don't spend much time downtown during the day during the week... but this would be awesome (i think i did see a del's stand downtown once mid-day during the week). this could also get people into the downtown parks. i had my first real experience with kennedy plaza today and it's awful. regardless of the police substation there, i can see why people don't travel through there. first, there wasn't a cop in sight. second there were a TON of people hanging out (not sure if they were waiting or just hangin'. and the park across the street with the fountain (burnside park maybe?) was empty.

Good points. However, crossing guards are a necessity given the mentality of some drivers.

I also think RI should do what Mass has done and make it illegal not to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. If it is already illegal here then they should put up signs.

Also graffiti removal is pitiful and many of the parks are a disgrace.

here's my thoughts and replies to some stuff i read...

first, wireless... i just noticed the new dunkin donuts across from lasalle academy is offering wireless... do others have it? just get all of them to offer it and pretty much the whole city is covered... :lol:

second... snow removal... this is a problem. i've only lived in providence for about 2 yaers (actually 1 year 10 months). that means i did my apartment hunting in december... that was a god-awful experience trying to drive around the city. i had to back down a couple streets and floor it to get up them without spinning the tires because there was packed snow on them (not ice mind you). i've also noticed the problem on the sidewalks. ENFORCE IT!!! and not just store owners and absentee landlords... but homeowners too. i live in elmhurst. i can walk to work because i work at PC, but unless i want my pants soaked and covered in snow, it's not worth it in the winter because the homeowners here don't shovel (i'm talking west of the college where they're mostly single family homes). granted, there's a lot of elderly, but still... i do my part to help my neighbors when it snows (including my senior citizen landlady who lives next door to me).

third... signs. again, when i first moved here, it was nearly impossible to get around, especially during my apartment hunt. there's a severe lack of street signs, not just downtown, but everywhere, the east side especially. most of the major roads have signs, but none of the other ones do. what's up with that? and make them easy to read. replace the old bent signs that you can't read anymore, there's too many. new highly reflective signs are important.

fourth... parking/ticketing. there's an overnight parking ban... either enforce it or get rid of it. there's a car that seems to never move (ok, it's an SUV) always parked on my street, not far from stop sign, in fact, close enough where you can't easily see around it if people are turning onto the street. it's there day and night. i'm tempted to call the police and get it ticketed. but i don't live in a high traffic neighborhood, so i doubt the police ever come by here (although i saw one truck ticketed after being left overnight, but this one still wasn't... perhaps it's the handicap sticker?). anyways, get rid of the parking ban... in fact, if it causes that much of a problem turn the narrower streets into one ways. and ban parking a certain distance from corners and put signs to show it.

fifth... street sweeping. this is horrible. my street has yet to be swept from last winter. granted, the rain washed away all the sand and salt, but still... it's terrible. once a year is atrociuos.

sixth... traffic signals and crossing signs. first, why have a crossing guard on street corners with working crosswalk lights? second, why do they allow kids to cross when the sign says "don't walk"? why not teach the kids to only cross when it says "walk" and assist them in crossing from turning traffic? third... syncronize the lights! fourth... get rid of lights that work on timers so i don't get stuck at a red light on smith st at 4am when there's no traffic on any of the side streets. put them all on sensors. fifth... TURN ON THE LIGHTS NEXT TO THE MALL PARKING GARAGE!! and a side note to this one... don't have random lights in the city flashing yellow for no apparent reason, people don't stop at flashing red lights.

seventh... more police presence out and about. i have seen an increase around elmhurst (not my area specifically, but around PC and the streets off eaton between huxley and douglas where the students live). get the police to enforce littering laws and other simple stuff. if they see garbage all over lawns for days, fine the residents (or landlords who will then charge their residents).

eighth... well marked bike lanes on at least the major roads... this is a very bikeable city, but the drivers make it much less so...

ninth... enforcing traffic laws. people speeding, pulling illegal moves, etc. there's never cops in the right place at the right time... there need to be more out and about. but this needs to start with the cops that turn their lights on just so they can get thruogh a busy traffic light and get to dunkin donuts more quickly (i've seen this on more than one occasion here). enforce stop signs. i'm not a fan of the camera enforced traffic lights, but it works in the locations they're placed. and as somoene said... blocking the box. if there's traffic ahead of you and you can't get to the other side of the intersection, dno't move regardless of who's beeping at you.

i think that's all i have to say... i like the idea of a park management "company" with a designated park/park area (maybe one per neighborhood giving roger williams it's own?). one thing i don't notice much of is street vendors (like the hot dog and peanut guys in new york). granted i don't spend much time downtown during the day during the week... but this would be awesome (i think i did see a del's stand downtown once mid-day during the week). this could also get people into the downtown parks. i had my first real experience with kennedy plaza today and it's awful. regardless of the police substation there, i can see why people don't travel through there. first, there wasn't a cop in sight. second there were a TON of people hanging out (not sure if they were waiting or just hangin'. and the park across the street with the fountain (burnside park maybe?) was empty.

Good points. However, crossing guards are a necessity given the mentality of some drivers.

I also think RI should do what Mass has done and make it illegal not to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. If it is already illegal here then they should put up signs.

Also graffiti removal is pitiful and many of the parks are a disgrace.

that's why i think they should only allow the kids to cross when the sign says "walk" rather than cutting in front of traffic as soon as someone shows up at the corner.

there are signs in some locations, but not all and not nearly enough. at least by PC, people do a relatively good job at stopping for the students (mainly on huxley between the 2 sides of campus). but even cops don't stop.

i have a big issue with the police department here. they don't seem to do enough enforcement and i know they don't have their hands full with other stuff going on... i usually just see them driving around or riding their bikes and chatting.

• 1 month later...

Word.

Here is the Projo link

this is loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg overdue. I know a lot of people here are anti-car, but Providence might be the single worst city I've ever driven in for traffic light timing. I would guess about 30% of rush hour congestion is due to crappy lights. And getting the lights working better is a good route to making the place more ped friendly.

The city also needs to hold developers more accountable. Just as an example, the light that the city made DD put in on North Main St. actually works opposite the other lights (about 150 feet in each direction). Three out of four times you drive down north main st., you ahve to stop at all three lights, and it's always because the DD one is screwing up the timing. Make these idiots do a real traffic study and program their lights appropriately...especially dunkin f'in donuts.

Snow is pretty bad thats for sure. However, on Saturday I was driving on 95 in Mass and that road was still icey in a lot of spots and whole lanes where covered.

What really annoys me is the park sidewalks not being cleared of snow. Walking the dog has been very fun.

i couldn't believe that there were still streets covered with snow today. i have to say though... the airport did a great job in keeping flights going. sure, they closed for 2 hours, but it was necessary to help later flights. i flew to philly at 8:30 on friday night. my flight left and landed on time (apparently a lot of flights to philly were delayed landing because the airport in philly decided to wait until the afternoon to BEGIN clearing the runways, even though it stopped snowing there by 11). but when i got back, i was astounded to find streets in providence still completely covered in snow! there's no excuse for that. now those streets are gonna be all ice tomorrow with temps not getting higher than 30. i think if people get into accidents on any street that wasn't plowed, they should file suit against the city.

There seems to be a theme here. The sinage is not good, crosswalks and lines have worn away, the traffic lights are VERY poorly timed, and the streets are full of pot holes when they are not covered in ice, water or snow. If you do venture into the city where in the world do you park?

As much as I like public transporation we need to make this city more accessible. Improving the driving, biking, and walking experiences will go a long way to doing that.

I am very glad to see some of the streets getting at least a new coat of pavement and the mentioned traffic light timing funding is most welcome. Lets see if we can help keep this ball rolling.

When is our next meeting, and what honored guests can we entice to attend?

Archived