Tallahassee International Airport

97preludesh

Yes yes. We dont have much air traffic, we are a small city, but, Why do places like Panama city have International Airport Status, and Fort Myers.... We are bigger than both of these places, and the Capital of Florida.

I know we could not generate the traffic to support commerical intl flights, but once we are international, we could get shipments and air freight direct from other countries which would be nice, and eventually in 20 years or so, have a few international flights.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in Ft Myers on business and seen a lot of German-speaking guests at the hotel I was staying at. I think they were there on a chartered flight and they were there for the beaches. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the same might be true for PC. They may not be the largest, but they have the pretty beaches and that's what attracts the foreign tourists. Frankly, that's what I like about Tally, no beaches, no Disney, fewer tourists, less traffic.

I've been in Ft Myers on business and seen a lot of German-speaking guests at the hotel I was staying at. I think they were there on a chartered flight and they were there for the beaches. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the same might be true for PC. They may not be the largest, but they have the pretty beaches and that's what attracts the foreign tourists. Frankly, that's what I like about Tally, no beaches, no Disney, fewer tourists, less traffic.

You're right. One of the reasons we are still regional instead of national or international is because of the fact that we get fewer liesure travlers and a mass of business travlers. Which isn't bad. I'd like to see national atleast.

Our non-stop flight to NYC is an exception for our airport... at the same time its a step in the right direction, closer to a national or international designation. I'd like to have an international airport to be able to commute between Tallahassee and the islands, and parts of central and Southern America.

Mobile, AL is bigger than us, and they still have a Regional also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Letter to the Editor

International airport makes sense here

Diane Roberts was right about the very unfortunate and illogical placement of an international airport in Bay County by the giant St. Joe Co. in an ecologically sensitive area.

Tallahassee, as capital of the fourth-largest state, would be a much more sensible location for the benefit of the state, as well as the rest of the United States.

We could expand the conveniently located regional airport into an exemplary international airport that would provide much better service to many more people.

The governor and Legislature should vehemently oppose the ill-advised proposed Bay County location and situate an international airport right here in the capital city.

MILEY MIERS

Former state representative

Archived